7 hours ago, martin-w said:

Trouble is, house prices here are horrendous and in short supply. Looks like I'll just have to get on with it.

Wow you must live in Oregon too? Just kidding, yeah we are dealing with that too, its complete insanity. They are building everywhere but not adding or widening any roads and the traffic in Portland has become a complete parking lot.

My neighbor just put there house up for sale and the second day she took an offer for 50k over asking. Good luck in finding something where you are.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

16 hours ago, TurboKen said:

Wow you must live in Oregon too? Just kidding, yeah we are dealing with that too, its complete insanity. They are building everywhere but not adding or widening any roads and the traffic in Portland has become a complete parking lot.

My neighbor just put there house up for sale and the second day she took an offer for 50k over asking. Good luck in finding something where you are.

2 bedroom, in need of some refurbishment, terraced, bedrooms 8 feet by 10, miniscule garden = 500K. I'm not kidding, half a million quid. 

More expensive than London.

10 hours ago, martin-w said:

2 bedroom, in need of some refurbishment, terraced, bedrooms 8 feet by 10, miniscule garden = 500K. I'm not kidding, half a million quid. 

Yeah that's crazy, my neighbors 3 bedroom went for 550kUSD. But that's a bargain, in California there running about 1 million.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

11 hours ago, martin-w said:

Silly prices, where is that?

1 minute ago, philmurfin said:

Silly prices, where is that?

The Channel Islands have very low rates of income tax so consequently attract the rich which probably pushes up the price of property.

But in order to live there you must either have married someone born there or make a substantial annual donation. My late nephew was able to buy a house there under the second rule.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 10/16/2021 at 2:59 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

That, in a nutshell, is your quandary. If you want a monitor to play the type of games mentioned in the video go with his recommendation of a 140Hz 1440p monitor.

But if you want a monitor for flight sim the priorities are the exact opposite. As low a refresh rate as you can get. Usually 30Hz. Why? Because you’ll never get 150fps in flight sim except when viewing a clear blue sky and nothing else. And your graphics card will be working flat out unless you can lower that refresh rate.

A 32” or larger display that supports 30Hz is ideal for flight sim. The resolution depends on the graphics card. A 1080 is fine for 1920*1080. A 2080Ti or 3090 is fine for 4K.

Ideally you’d buy two monitors one for games, one for flight sim. GSync is useful for both but outside your budget. The decision is yours.

Ray,

So, I have a 32" monitor that will support 30mhz refresh rate with a native resolution of 2560*1440. My Graphics card is a 1080 and I use P3Dv5.2 exclusively. Are you recommending I should use a 1920*1080 setting over the native recommended?

28 minutes ago, atc81 said:

Ray,

So, I have a 32" monitor that will support 30mhz refresh rate with a native resolution of 2560*1440. My Graphics card is a 1080 and I use P3Dv5.2 exclusively. Are you recommending I should use a 1920*1080 setting over the native recommended?

No. You should always run a monitor at its native resolution. The reason I suggested 1920*1080 was suitable for a 1080 card is because it’s relatively low powered compared to the 1080Ti which I run at 3840*2160.

But the 1080 should be fine at 2560*1440.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

No. You should always run a monitor at its native resolution. The reason I suggested 1920*1080 was suitable for a 1080 card is because it’s relatively low powered compared to the 1080Ti which I run at 3840*2160.

But the 1080 should be fine at 2560*1440.

OK, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks again!

Bill

20 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The Channel Islands have very low rates of income tax so consequently attract the rich which probably pushes up the price of property.

But in order to live there you must either have married someone born there or make a substantial annual donation. My late nephew was able to buy a house there under the second rule.

A lovely part of the world but silly, silly prices, me thinks me will stay put!

37 minutes ago, philmurfin said:

A lovely part of the world but silly, silly prices, me thinks me will stay put!

Unless you’re pretty well off it’s not an option I’m afraid. 

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 10/20/2021 at 8:44 PM, TurboKen said:

Yeah that's crazy, my neighbors 3 bedroom went for 550kUSD. But that's a bargain, in California there running about 1 million.

I think US houses are MUCH bigger than those in The British Isles though.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:03 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Nope, not in Guernsey Ray. For certain jobs you simply need employment. Once a work permit is granted anyone from the UK can come to Guernsey. Family members (me) get a family member permit.

After 7 years you don't need a permit and are a permanent resident.

Your relative is from Jersey I recall. The bailiwick of Jersey has different rules to the bailiwick of Guernsey. However, my daughters company has an office there and I'm pretty sure her bosses over there simply have work permits, same as Guernsey.

The Guernsey bailiwicks smaller island of Sark (450 residents) has no rules, anyone from the UK can move there.

Rapidly escalating prices, minimal land to build and a lack of social housing are the issues here. The authorities will have to do something as many are leaving the island due to the housing issue.

Prices have always been high here, but lockdown has seen people looking at their housing needs and of course Brexit has resulted in some leaving the UK.

Seems we've drifted way off the monitor topic. Apologies chaps. 😁

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 6:41 PM, TurboKen said:

Well Martin at the end of the day let us know what you went with and how you like it. 😉 

I went for an Asus IPS panel. 27 inches. 1440P. G-Sync etc. 170 Hz. VG27AQL1A.

Not arrived yet, I'll tell you when it comes and Ive built, if I'm happy or not, if I reward myself with a cat point or not. 😜

On 11/4/2021 at 6:48 AM, martin-w said:

I went for an Asus IPS panel. 27 inches. 1440P. G-Sync etc. 170 Hz. VG27AQL1A.

Not arrived yet, I'll tell you when it comes and Ive built, if I'm happy or not, if I reward myself with a cat point or not. 😜

Great, Enjoy the build. I have a new one I should be starting soon, a co-worker said he wants an AMD processor and has 5k to spend. Were going to use his current video card until he can locate a newer one, but at least we can have the rest built and be using it until then.

4 hours ago, TurboKen said:

Great, Enjoy the build. I have a new one I should be starting soon, a co-worker said he wants an AMD processor and has 5k to spend. Were going to use his current video card until he can locate a newer one, but at least we can have the rest built and be using it until then.

Got some Trident Z on the way plus, for cooling...

NH-D15S. Had to be with me, the Noctua boy, didn't it. 😁👍