I am currently building a new system (with a.o. a Ryzen 5 5600X and a RTX 3060 Ti) mainly for MSFS and I also want to get a new 27" monitor (going from 1080p to 1400p). I am wondering if it is worth the extra money to get an official G-Sync monitor... I read things about G-Sync Ultimate, regular G-Sync and G-Sync compatible. The ultimate monitors are too expensive for me (most are 4k anyway) so I am currently looking at the ViewSonic Elite XG270QG which afaik is an official G-Sync monitor.

Will G-Sync work well with MSFS? It's the only game I'd actually need G-Sync for... I do want an official G-Sync monitor because it will work right away from as low as 1 fps (if I am not mistaken) while 'compatible' monitors often need a minimum fps of 40 or even more in order to work and with my new setup I don't think I will always hit 40 fps. 😉

I do wonder though if it is all worth it because I keep reading about problems with G-Sync not working at all but also about people still having stutters and so on, which seems odd to me if a solution as G-Sync is available... I mean, why doesn't everyone have a G-Sync monitor if it is THE solution for stutters etc.?!

BTW If anyone has another suggestion for a good (G-Sync) 27" 1440p let me know! 😉

Your observation about full Gsync vs. compatible is exactly right, and definitely a consideration with MSFS. Very few systems will be able to maintain a lower limit above a compatible's min refresh without modest MSFS graphics settings. You'll love 1440p vs 1080p!

I've got an ASUS PG279Q that I've had a couple of years and it's GREAT! Works really well with MSFS, and worked well with P3Dv4. I've also used it with an old FPS game and it was superb running a locked 144 fps, which I was able to maintain most of the time, and even when my system lagged and fps dropped a bit it was still perfectly stutter free. As far as I can tell the only thing Gsync won't help with is when you run into main thread limiting in MSFS which seem to cause BIG frametime spikes.

The thing I like most about Gsync with MSFS is that it allows you to get the stutter-free performance that the vsync-locked-at-30 fps guys get, but YOU can set the fps limit wherever you want and not have to worry about the stutter because your refresh will always equal fps. On my modest system I set fps limit to 35 in NVCP and Gsync matches with a 28.6 ms (1000 ms/35) refresh. The point is that I could set it at 25, or 37, or 40, or 45, or whatever limit I want and Gsync will match it. If fps drops below my limit periodically then Gsync commands refresh to follow. Of course the other option is to run unlimited and Gsync will match whatever the fps. I run limited mostly to keep the heating and fan noise reasonable.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

On 10/13/2021 at 3:36 AM, somiller said:

Your observation about full Gsync vs. compatible is exactly right

Thanks for the detailed answer! Now I will definitely get that official G-Sync ViewSonic Elite XG270QG! 🙂

Edited by tup61

You will be spoiled after using your new Gsync monitor! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed the one I have.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

On 10/12/2021 at 5:37 AM, tup61 said:

I am currently building a new system (with a.o. a Ryzen 5 5600X and a RTX 3060 Ti) mainly for MSFS and I also want to get a new 27" monitor (going from 1080p to 1400p). I am wondering if it is worth the extra money to get an official G-Sync monitor... I read things about G-Sync Ultimate, regular G-Sync and G-Sync compatible. The ultimate monitors are too expensive for me (most are 4k anyway) so I am currently looking at the ViewSonic Elite XG270QG which afaik is an official G-Sync monitor.

Will G-Sync work well with MSFS? It's the only game I'd actually need G-Sync for... I do want an official G-Sync monitor because it will work right away from as low as 1 fps (if I am not mistaken) while 'compatible' monitors often need a minimum fps of 40 or even more in order to work and with my new setup I don't think I will always hit 40 fps. 😉

I do wonder though if it is all worth it because I keep reading about problems with G-Sync not working at all but also about people still having stutters and so on, which seems odd to me if a solution as G-Sync is available... I mean, why doesn't everyone have a G-Sync monitor if it is THE solution for stutters etc.?!

BTW If anyone has another suggestion for a good (G-Sync) 27" 1440p let me know! 😉

Same CPU and GPU as you and, while researching monitors, I also wanted something at least G-Sync compatible. Lo and behold, I lucked out into getting a Monoprice Zero-G ultrawide when it dropped to $300 (an unbelievable bargain). Happily it is G-Sync compatible but limited to 100hz, which was fine by me. 144 would be nice, sure, but would cost more and I'm not positive I'd see the difference between 100hz and 144hz anyway.

This website: https://tftcentral.co.uk/ offers exhaustive and detailed reviews on monitors if you need help deciding.

https://www.displayninja.com/ has a nifty list of monitors that you can sort through for just G-Sync monitors (upper right).

For MSFS it is a nice addition. For P3D it is a VERY nice addition. As MSFS is already so smooth it is not as big of a difference but it really smoooooths out P3D. Keep in mind this is with a RTX3090. With a lesser card there may very well be a more noticeable difference/improvement.

• Like 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Hi,

I have an i5 6600K and GTX1070, and an old 1080P 60Hz monitor. 

I play MSFS capped at 30fps but also DCS capped at 60. In DCS when the game gets heavy, frames goes to 50 and Vsync tanks my FPS to 30. In MSFS, if I unleashed the FPS limit, I can get better than 30 when games becomes lighter.

I was wondering if adding a Gsync monitor to my setup may help me having a smoother experience and less Vsync changes.

I believe there is a need to have a Gsync range down to at least 30 fps but  when looking for monitors there is no specs to check the Gsync range. Also I wonder if I can find a Gsync compatible monitor with a Gsync range down to 30 fps ? It seems real Gsync monitors are not so common these days…looking for 27’ 1440 or 1080P monitor.

Thanks for your advices,

Pierre