Sign in to follow this  
atlflyer

Looking for good VFR airport in Germany

hey guys! Just hopping back in after a long hiatus and saw that Germany has been updated. Any good recommendations on a detailed airport (freeware or included) in Germany with good scenic VFR that I can fly the 152 out of? 

Edited by atlflyer
typo

Fly the Discovery Flight over Berlin. I think it defaults to the 172 though.

11 minutes ago, dobee51 said:

Fly the Discovery Flight over Berlin. I think it defaults to the 172 though.

yeah I wanted to find some good airports with some close amazing scenery since I do not know Germany all that well. Aside from the major cities, wanted to find some countryside good airports. 

Watch this video and download the EDMV airport from Flightsim.to. The town is beautiful with a castle on the hill and the approach along the river is very picturesque.

• Like 3

you guys are awesome, thank you so much! Not knowing the area I had no idea which ones were good or not and where to fly but its such beautiful VFR country. 

One great starting point for sightseeing in a 152 is EDMA Augsburg (payware airport available but not tested):  You have a lot of photogrammetry* to behold in Augsburg, it's a short hop to Munich (more photogrammetry) and the scenic Alps are a great backdrop for the scenery, well in reach for the 152 too.

EDFE Egelsbach is the GA hotspot in the Frankfurt region (with new photogrammetry in WU6), if you're not keen on the chaos in EDDF (or the landing, handling and takeoff fees summing up to AFAIK 900€ now) .  Since it's so close to EDDF, actual traffic regulation around EDFE can be a bit challenging if you're interested in that: https://egelsbach-airport.com/en/pilotinfo/

From there you can easily reach the scenic Taunus and Odenwald hills or fly down the Rhine valley to Mannheim+Ludwigshafen, then visit Karlsruhe and maybe in another leg from there, check out the new Altenrhein (LSZR) airport, again with a working clock (as known from old FS2004+FSX incarnations of the airport)

*Photogrammetry quality in Germany is almost...um..serviceable, at any rate it's way above what's available in most of the US of A.

Edited by Captain Nuts
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Nuts said:

*Photogrammetry quality in Germany is almost...um..serviceable, at any rate it's way above what's available in most of the US of A.

Yes, I have found that Germany, Austria, and UK have some of the best photogrammetry and buildings. I likve in Atlanta and the stuff is good here, I can recognize areas, etc...but for some reason Germany alone looks MILES better than here.