Sign in to follow this  
Donmo

An apology to L.Adamson

A personal note of apology to Larry for a posting that I appeared to make to Larry in the now closed Flight 93 thread.My comment, #40, was not directed to Larry, but to the poster whose comments I now don't seem to be able to find. My comment to him/her was rather rhetorical, "...er and you point is", and appropriate what I was replying to as they were rather inflammatory. Again, that unknown posters comments now seem no where to be found, and a good thing based upon it

No problem................. :DAs I had seen the original reply to me (concerning three different names), that was in between yours & mine. Of course, now, it has disappeared. Besides, I liked your reply to those now missing words.L.Adamson

Guest Charlie

Those of us following this thread know what happened, so an apology is certainly going the extra mile. You certainly didn

Guest Ken_Salter

Hmmm....we allow discussion of non-simulator related material, and then when the line gets crossed and we have to remove material, we are now construed as censors.The original thread was talking about the film's depiction of the airplane and airplane systems. That was why it was allowed. Unfortunately, it did not stay on topic very long.If you want to discuss politics or conspiracy woo-woo theories or religion, do it somewhere else. We have a wide variety of members who have differing opinions on these subjects. This is a forum system dedicated to computer simulation.We don't want to have to be draconian and automatically remove all posts not strictly related to simulation. In taking that stance, we then have to stop discussion and remove potentially inflammatory posts occasionally. We moderators are acutally providing a service for you. We try to maintain an orderly and civilized forum system so that you can discuss and learn. In order to do that, we sometimes have to lock and delete posts that we deem as counterproductive and a violation of forum "rules."If that offends anyone, so be it. Or would the users of this sytem rather not have the ability to discuss these topics at all?

Guest Charlie

Well Ken, it's Tom's forum and he has appointed you and others to exercise editorial control. I understand the need for that control in a big picture sense and I accept that it is your right to exercise it. I simply disagree with you on where the line should be drawn. But it's your forum and not mine, so you win and I lose. Or perhaps more clearly, all of us desiring more freedom for civil debate at a site we have enjoyed visiting for years lose.You saw the post in question as inflammatory

Hi Charlie...opinions are one thing, comparing the duly elected commander-in-chief to one of the worlds most reviled dictator, who alone was responsible for the murder of 6 million souls is inflamatory and extremist, and does nothing to further the causes of those who wish to express their point of view.I am glad editorial control was exercised here. I would have different feelings if the post that had been removed went something like this: "...even though I acknowledge that individual as our commander-in-chief, I cannot support or condone the policies of that administration."I would agree with you that deleting a comment like that would be exercising too much editorial control. Removing the post that was removed was an exercise in editorial garbage control in my opinion.Just my 2 cents, and of course an opinion...so feel free to disagree!bt

"This forum is for the discussion of real world aviation topics and any other topics not covered in other forums. Please make sure that your topic isn't covered in another forum before posting here."The above is what is posted under the forum title. Note the first sentence. It clearly indicates that this forum is not only for real world aviation topics, but for "any other topics not covered in other forums". Perhaps it should be rewritten to avoid confusion?Don

>>You saw the post in question as inflammatory

Guest Charlie

BT, I read the post, but don't remember its wording. What most impacted me about it was a reference to GW Bush's mindset that he is doing God's will in the Middle East

Guest Ken_Salter

Correct. And while it is safe to say that I'm not a particular fan of this president (or any other president in recent memory), a comparison of any president to a really bad dude is inflammatory, not thought provoking.If anyone feels that the moderation being provided by myself or any other mods is not correct, either being too heavy handed or not heavy handed enought, the please direct your comments to my boss.In the meantime, posts which are abusive or "flamebait" will dealt with as needed.

Guest Ken_Salter

This is not a "I win because I have the power ha ha ha" situation.Comparing anyone to a really bad dude is not a civil debate, it is flamebait.If that statement had not been made, no post would have been removed. Simple as that.

Guest drobson

Hey, Ken. It doesn't matter where a person "moderates" a forum, he/she is subjected to the same stuff. Jeez, that so and so moderator is heavy handed---or---censoring too much---or violating my "freedom of speech" and/or "my rights", etc. Ya gotta be like a duck in a rain shower---just let it run off! :-) Ya just can't please all the people all the time.Darrell

>"This forum is for the discussion of real world aviation>topics and any other topics not covered in other forums.>Please make sure that your topic isn't covered in another>forum before posting here.">There is a legal term, sui generis, which when applied to a statement like that with an "and" effectively implies that the sentence reads "This forum is for the discussion of real world aviation topics and any other topics of the same type not covered in other forums."Also to those raising the free-speech argument, AVSIM's Terms of Use make its position quite clear:"Please also understand that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN A PRIVATELY OWNED AND OPERATED FORUM. If you believe that you should have unfettered freedom of speach without equal responsibility for its use, then the AVSIM forums are not for you."Note the last phrase.

The bottom statement is one I have been saying in here for YEARS!The top part is a lesson on how a lawyer deceives someone. Don