Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Installing SDK SP1 Update Help Please

Hi. I have the registered Deluxe Edition FSX and had the original SDK installed. I was trying to get the tutorial working for the stopwatch.After having difficulty I found out from another user, here,that he had a different version SDK than I had. I downloaded the SP1 update and tried installing it as a repair. I get an error that one of the Temp folders with the Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK SP1.msi is not available. I searched and yes it is not there. How can I install the update? I hate MS's installers Why can't they just supply the update files and let us install it ourselves? Thanks, regards, Bob.

>Hi. I have the registered Deluxe Edition FSX and had the>original SDK installed. I was trying to get the tutorial>working for the stopwatch.After having difficulty I found out>from another user, here,that he had a different version SDK>than I had. I downloaded the SP1 update and tried installing>it as a repair. I get an error that one of the Temp folders>with the Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK SP1.msi is not>available. I searched and yes it is not there. How can I>install the update? I hate MS's installers Why can't they just>supply the update files and let us install it ourselves?>Thanks, regards, Bob. Bob, please remember the beta team is under NDA, which does not allow for communication in public forums.Moderators, please delete this thread.-Doug

Please backtrack and read his post again Doug, he's not talking about the FSX SP1 beta, he's talking about the SDK sp1 update that was released a little while back, totally unrelated to the coming patch.Bob, have you tried uninstalling the SDK from the windows control panel, then reinstalling it and then updating it with the SDK sp1? That might make the directories that you're missing?Cheers.Mike

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

>Hi. I have the registered Deluxe Edition FSX and had the>original SDK installed. I was trying to get the tutorial>working for the stopwatch.After having difficulty I found out>from another user, here,that he had a different version SDK>than I had. I downloaded the SP1 update and tried installing>it as a repair. I get an error that one of the Temp folders>with the Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK SP1.msi is not>available. I searched and yes it is not there. How can I>install the update? I hate MS's installers Why can't they just>supply the update files and let us install it ourselves?>Thanks, regards, Bob.I am sorry it was not clear to you in the above post, Doug. I was talking about the SDK SP1 update which has ben previously released, not the upcoming patch for FSX. Regards, Bob.

>Please backtrack and read his post again Doug, he's not>talking about the FSX SP1 beta, he's talking about the SDK sp1>update that was released a little while back, totally>unrelated to the coming patch.>>Bob, have you tried uninstalling the SDK from the windows>control panel, then reinstalling it and then updating it with>the SDK sp1? That might make the directories that you're>missing?>>Cheers.>>Mike>Hi Mike. Thanks for setting it all straight. I, and I am sure that the other user, are not Beta Team members. I thought it was explained OK. No I have not tried uninstalling the basic SDK and then reinstalling it and try applying the patch. I think I will try that. Best regards, Bob.

I think you are over-complicating the install of the SP1 SDK. Just install the update as a full install over the top of the previous version, not as a repair.It's usually pretty standard in Windows installers that the repair option is only used when you are attempting to repair an installed piece of software with the same version of that software.

AVSimSig.jpg

>>Hi. I have the registered Deluxe Edition FSX and had the>>original SDK installed. I was trying to get the tutorial>>working for the stopwatch.After having difficulty I found>out>>from another user, here,that he had a different version SDK>>than I had. I downloaded the SP1 update and tried installing>>it as a repair. I get an error that one of the Temp folders>>with the Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK SP1.msi is not>>available. I searched and yes it is not there. How can I>>install the update? I hate MS's installers Why can't they>just>>supply the update files and let us install it ourselves?>>Thanks, regards, Bob.>>>I am sorry it was not clear to you in the above post, Doug. I>was talking about the SDK SP1 update which has ben previously>released, not the upcoming patch for FSX. Regards, Bob.My apologies. We are in SP1 beta mode and I did not read your original post (which was clear) carefully enough.Quantumleap is correct. Let us know if you have further problems.-Doug

Hi. Thanks. I am not over-complicating it. I would do just that if the stupid installer gives you that option. It only gives two options - Repair or Uninstall. I hate Installers. If you know of a way to install it please let me know. I just wish they would give the update in zip form so we could see what was changed. Regards, Bob.

The reason why you're seeing only Repair or Uninstall is because the SP1 installer "thinks" that it is already installed!Do these steps in this precise order:1) Uninstall SDK SP1.2) Uninstall the SDK.3) Reboot your computer.4) Install the SDK from DVD#1.5) Install the SDK SP1 from your disk file.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill. Thanks. I'll try that. Can you tell me a way to check in the FSX SDK to see whether it is already actually patched. It is listed in the Control Panel as already installed. I was assuming it was not updated as the other user that posted to my query about the stopwatch tutorial in the Gauges/Panel Forum, here, evidently had a different verson than mine. Thanks and best regards, Bob.

Guest radivil

>Hi Bill. Thanks. I'll try that. Can you tell me a way to>check in the FSX SDK to see whether it is already actually>patched. It is listed in the Control Panel as already>installed. I was assuming it was not updated as the other user>that posted to my query about the stopwatch tutorial in the>Gauges/Panel Forum, here, evidently had a different verson>than mine. Thanks and best regards, Bob. The only way I could tell mine was updated was the overview page on the readme/manual was changed.

>>Hi Bill. Thanks. I'll try that. Can you tell me a way to>>check in the FSX SDK to see whether it is already actually>>patched. It is listed in the Control Panel as already>>installed. I was assuming it was not updated as the other>user>>that posted to my query about the stopwatch tutorial in the>>Gauges/Panel Forum, here, evidently had a different verson>>than mine. Thanks and best regards, Bob. >>The only way I could tell mine was updated was the overview>page on the readme/manual was changed.Hi. I just checked mine and you are right. Mine says SP!. Can you please check the date of the "Creating XML Gauges.xml" is? Mine says Nov. 16, 2006 at 5:16AM and is 215 kb. That's the one that I thought was out of date, due to my problems with the Stopwatch tutorial that I asked about on the Panel Forum here. Best regards, Bob.

>Hi. Thanks. I am not over-complicating it. I would do just>that if the stupid installer gives you that option. It only>gives two options - Repair or Uninstall. I hate Installers. If>you know of a way to install it please let me know. I just>wish they would give the update in zip form so we could see>what was changed. Regards, Bob.It's now premium content, so they don't want it to be freely available.I have a PC Mag util called "inctrl5" which takes a before and after snapshot of the registry and file system, and generates a report of all the changes. Helpful if you are putting in an install which isn't obvious about what it will do/change.scott s.