Sign in to follow this  
dr_opus2001

MSFS 2020 Steam edition won't install

Hi,

I'm having a heck of a time installing msfs 2020. Just purchase this program on sale from Steam last week and have run into a problem. While installing it

for the first time, the program froze after about 5% of installation. Reboot the computer and tried again, now the program begins, flashes by the part where it let me log into my Xbox account

and goes directly to the installation manger page and stays there saying checking for updates, with the wheel just spinning and never moves off. I texted Steam help and they said it seem their may be a problem with the games launcher.

I tried deleting both the game and steam and re-installing both but to no avail. Just stuck on the installation manger page. Is there a way to reset the launcher program back so it starts afresh?

Anyone have any ideas or can point me to a site that can help.

Thanks

Did you install the Xbox app and are you logged in there?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

2 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Try the "verify files" function in Steam.

He shouldn't do that, unless there is no other way. He will have to reinstall everything if he verifies files on Steam.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

10 minutes ago, Alvega said:

He shouldn't do that, unless there is no other way. He will have to reinstall everything if he verifies files on Steam.

I don't think any other Steam game does that when verifying files.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I don't think any other Steam game does that when verifying files.

Correct, other games don't do that. But people have been reporting MSFS does and advising not to use the verify files option with it.

Alvega

You must be logged in at Xbox before you start the installer.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

16 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Re installing the Xbox app, I don't recall having to do that. I thought that was only for the MS Store version.

It's for the Steam version too. You need to have the Xbox for Windows app updated and be logged in. I had problems before I did that and I have the Steam version.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

10 minutes ago, Alvega said:

It's for the Steam version too. You need to have the Xbox for Windows app updated and be logged in. I had problems before I did that and I have the Steam version.

I guess I must have installed it at some point, then 🙂

52 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Re installing the Xbox app, I don't recall having to do that. I thought that was only for the MS Store version.

fyi, I have the ms2020 Steam version and I don't have the Xbox app installed on my computer but you do have to log into the Windows store or Microsoft account

Edited by Isaiah53six
  • Like 1

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

38 minutes ago, Alvega said:

I have the steam version and no xbox app installed....ms2020 works fine without it.  But I did have to log into the windows store

Edited by Isaiah53six

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Isaiah53six said:

fyi, I have the ms2020 Steam version and I don't have the Xbox app installed on my computer but you do have to log into the Windows store or Microsoft account

Yes, I remember logging into my MS account, and that's all. So maybe I didn't install the Xbox app after all. Steam and Xbox app are similar platforms, which don't usually communicate/integrate with each other, unlike MS Store and Xbox app.

I have both - the store and the steam versions - due to a problem with the store - which is another story.  It appears that the benefit of the Steam version is that it downloads the launcher and sends you directly to the regular MS launch and it's update check.  I have used the Steam "verify" program twice and never had to reinstall, but it appears, in this case, that he is trying to download for the first time.  I can't say why he is having problems... I never have with Steam.  Yes, I run them both on the same computer - different drives and the only problem I have had is trying to get the store to recognize that there is a download in their files somewhere.... Yes, X-Box app is installed and open.  Don't remember whether it was needed originally for Steam, but it is running now whenever an update is due.

John Wingold

Thanks everybody for the council.  Turns out it was my anti-virus software. Once I uninstalled it and

rebooted, everything began to install properly. I now have msfs 2020 installed and it is working like a charm.

Thanks again

• Like 2