Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

New FS2020 Google Maps MOD for the entire world

The problem with Tileproxy was that the textures loaded slowly and were a bit blurred, especially whilst loading.  I eventually started creating photoscenery for the areas I liked to fly in using FSEarthTiles.  I'm currently running the google mod in msfs and my experiences so far have ben pretty great, especially the roads and railway lines, but also there is much more colour variation suggesting that asobo may have applied a bit of a greenish filter to the bing data.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

8 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Wow! What was the catch? 🙂

The catch at the time was that Google started shutting down connections for the streaming data since this was outside their terms of service, which was alluded to in a post earlier in this thread.  Other map services were then leveraged by the user base but it eventually became an ongoing game of jumping from one solution to another.  I'm happy now being a dumb user and just going with the flow of what MSFS provides natively.

• Like 4

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

3 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

The catch at the time was that Google started shutting down connections for the streaming data since this was outside their terms of service, which was alluded to in a post earlier in this thread.  Other map services were then leveraged by the user base but it eventually became an ongoing game of jumping from one solution to another.  I'm happy now being a dumb user and just going with the flow of what MSFS provides natively.

I'm with you. This can only turn out to be a  train wreck , sooner or later. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

Really depends how it's done. If Google just sees each individual connection as they'd see a Google Maps user, it's more difficult to spot but also, we don't use any more bandwidth than someone using Google Maps for a while, zooming in, quickly going all across the world checking out stuff. However, if he's using a personal / developer access API key to the mapping service, they could easily track it down and kill it, depending how the usage falls in line with the license agreement.

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

If this mods get blocked be either Google or MS/Asobo, it would be because of the EULA and probably not the amount of traffic/bandwidth its using. Google servers will most likely hardly notice the impact on bandwidth since their services are so widely used anyway, in a much larger scale. I guess we should all just enjoy it while its working since its, yet not perfect, but a really great addition to MSFS.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1