Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Reno Stead's location is desert not forest

First off I'm really enjoying the air race mod by Asobo.  At first didn't like how the P51's were done (canopy doesn't open, switches not functioning correctly, etc) but after seeing all their individual quarks and pluses they are actually quite nice.  So far that's the only pack I bought.  That being said how did the forest at Reno Stead get past beta?  Reno Stead's course is cactus laden desert not trees, the perfect site for an air race.  I could have sworn in previews there wasn't a forest there.  Asobo needs to get ride of the excess trees where the course is located.

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 2

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Reno  is in High Desert.. not low level cactus desert like Mojave.  Whilst there are cactus (succulents) in Reno  they are not  the tall types from that climate type,  Theres more than enough water around Reno to make cactus not really needed.  However, trees are common there and a simple check on google will show you lots of trees around the airport where the racing takes place..  but no cactus.  There is scrub, but tall cactus wouldn't survive in the heavy snows Reno gets in winter or the regular rain in the summer.

In fact the following notam was listed last year at Reno-Stead with the following warning...  NV Energy with be trimming trees on the airport property and in the surrounding neighborhoods over the next few days

Edited by Moria15

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

25 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

Reno  is in High Desert.. not low level cactus desert like Mojave.  Whilst there are cactus (succulents) in Reno  they are not  the tall types from that climate type,  Theres more than enough water around Reno to make cactus not really needed.  However, trees are common there and a simple check on google will show you lots of trees around the airport where the racing takes place..  but no cactus.  There is scrub, but tall cactus wouldn't survive in the heavy snows Reno gets in winter or the regular rain in the summer.

In fact the following notam was listed last year at Reno-Stead with the following warning...  NV Energy with be trimming trees on the airport property and in the surrounding neighborhoods over the next few days

I think you need to go watch some real world videos of the air races at Reno because you are clearly misguided in your thinking here... :ph34r:

• Like 1

FS2020 

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

First off I'm really enjoying the air race mod by Asobo.  At first didn't like how the P51's were done (canopy doesn't open, switches not functioning correctly, etc) but after seeing all their individual quarks and pluses they are actually quite nice.  So far that's the only pack I bought.  That being said how did the forest at Reno Stead get past beta?  Reno Stead's course is cactus laden desert not trees, the perfect site for an air race.  I could have sworn in previews there wasn't a forest there.  Asobo needs to get ride of the excess trees where the course is located.

It feels like they upped the trees in general in the last update because I'm seeing a massive number of trees around my home airport which aren't there in real life. But you are right, I don't think Reno area should have those types of trees unless they are planted.

• Like 1

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, Dillon said:

Reno is very close to Sierra Pines and not that far from Tahoe. Just to give you idea it’s not like Sahara 🙂

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Ah how to miss a good discussion about MSFS trees on a Sunday morning ? You can’t !

The only trees there as I recall, are those planted in the residential areas and certainly maintained by tap water 😁 And somd when you climb the hills to the West.

Yes, Tahoe is full of trees but there is the Sierra in-between.

Having lived in the Bay Area, I traditionaly do my first flight in a sim between South Tahoe and Reno or Carson city. You get all the terrain and relief in a short flight, the snow, the lake, the forest, the peaks, the desert, the irrigation etc. A great red and green contrast.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

13 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Reno is very close to Sierra Pines and not that far from Tahoe. Just to give you idea it’s not like Sahara 🙂

I never said Sahara but it sure doesn’t look like the shores of Lake Tahoe.  Again there’s plenty of videos out there, go take a look.

FS2020 

Only in today's world can we even have a heated discussion about whether trees are actually somewhere or not. 🙂  Is there anyone on these boards that actually lives there to resolve this?  In the meanwhile, I'm going to fly somewhere and not worry about it.

LouP

4 minutes ago, LouP said:

Only in today's world can we even have a heated discussion about whether trees are actually somewhere or not. 🙂  Is there anyone on these boards that actually lives there to resolve this?  In the meanwhile, I'm going to fly somewhere and not worry about it.

LouP

It's just an observation to make an otherwise amazing addition to the sim better.  Yes I've been there in real life.

FS2020 

On 11/20/2021 at 7:40 PM, sd_flyer said:

Looks like something is screwed on my end.  After further investigation I have some mod installed that's producing more trees that there should be in certain areas.  Sedona is affected as well.🥴

FS2020