Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

Will X-Plane 12 feature shader based seasonal effects?

Just now, scotchegg said:

Bingo.

So how does Janov and PMDG not being related help your case?

AutoATC Developer

5 minutes ago, mSparks said:

So how does Janov and PMDG not being related help your case?

And how is this question helping the topic? Can we put this to rest and get back to pertinent discussions about seasonal effects? (and I'm sorry if I've myself contributed to derailing the topic in talking about WASM earlier).

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

33 minutes ago, RXP said:

And how is this question helping the topic?

We could still all be wrong. Maybe he is really posting something relevant to the topic and not just trying to trap me into a ban. Stranger things have happened.

33 minutes ago, RXP said:

and I'm sorry if I've myself contributed to derailing the topic in talking about WASM earlier

Well, you are the 4th person this week Ive seen express an interest in js based scripting support in XP12, including Sir Ben Supnik himself. Season effects don't start and end with shaders.

And thats what we want isnt it, kickass season effects, the discussion is surely as much about the how.

Im not adverse to the idea, just the work involved.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

12 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Well, you are the 4th person this week Ive seen express an interest in js based scripting support in XP12, including Sir Ben Supnik himself. Season effects don't start and end with shaders.

Im not adverse to the idea, just the work involved.

I'm not so sure about JS because in practice, XP already supports LUA which might not be as "powerful" a language compared to JS, but it is much easier to grasp and use for newcomers. Furthermore, LUA pushes a direct model, when code logic and presentation are coupled and sequential, whereas JS/HTML pushes an indirect model, where both are decoupled in theory (but highly coupled in practice in all JS/HTML gauges I've seen in FS2020). Having both might be better than one only, but at what cost and technical debt for LR, I'm not in any position to judge.

WASM on the other hand serves a practical need for plugins traditionally developed in C++: portability for the devs, security for the customers.

• Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

41 minutes ago, RXP said:

WASM on the other hand serves

JS gives you wasm.

wasm is "just" native code cross compiled into javascript and wrapped in asm.js (yep thats a bad description, but close enough)

history here

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2015/12/compiling-to-webassembly-its-happening/

There are also now the likes graalvm that leverage those ideas to give runtimes that support multiple languages (what Ben wants).

js/html is (as much as I hate it) really the only feasible way to do ui these days.

No one making software cares about qt,winforms, material design blah blah, they just want the text box and button to look nice and not cause a CTD because the user entered an unexpected comma.

There has already been the CEF drama

https://developer.x-plane.com/2018/04/lets-talk-about-cef/

So not like the idea is entirely new.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer