Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

Will X-Plane 12 feature shader based seasonal effects?

9 hours ago, Greazer said:

It's only limited and to the airport boundaries.  Outside that it you won't see a change.

2 hours ago, rka said:

Seeing how often the "not possible, not necessary" gang has been proven wrong recently, some even having to excuse here publicly for the lies they tried to spread, wouldn't one expect them to play a more modest role for a few moments? Wouldn't one?

7 hours ago, Greazer said:

Sorry, right again 🤠

9 hours ago, Greazer said:

It's only limited and to the airport boundaries.  Outside that it you won't see a change.

Where the hell are the mods? Or is it a thing to blame everyone in your recent pinned post?

Crystal clear lies and confirmed as well, is this forum so biased?

Greazer and rka picking personally on people on other forums as well and not just here, is it ok to do that in Avsim? or is it Ok when it's against x-plane forums?

What a shame this forum is...

Don't hesitate to post another pinned post blaming everybody for this please, what a joke.

More recent quotes by Greazer:

Stick to XP forums.  This is not for people with no clue what they are talking about.

In other words you play GTA and Cyberpunk while school is out and come back to FS next month.

This on you mods, don't say we didn't mention that long time ago. close this x-plane section it will be much better.

Edited by mtaxp
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 5

"Let's end the hostile tone"

The AVSIM X-Plane forum has, unfortunately, been building up a reputation as a particularly hostile place among the forums here

LMAO, we all wonder why.

Edited by mtaxp
  • Like 4

"We intend this to be a forum where X-Plane related topics can be discussed in a civil manner, without personal insults"

An X-Plane user can only hope.

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Sethos said:

Hey,

Tried doing some searching but wasn't able to find anything on this particular topic. Really looking forward to X-Plane 12 but was wondering if they had implemented shader based seasonal changes, to go with their new trees? I'm thinking snow and dynamic coverage of terrain, colour changes etc. or is this a topic they have yet to discuss? 

Thanks

Yes. Seasoned art work will have mixed/blended Leaves by a shader based on time/location in a global manner.

WeatherFX (Snow, puddles, icing)* will work on everything including scenery objects IIRC and will have dedicated channels on textures for control.

*Not sure if all 3 effects, or even more, will work on everything, and it remains to be seen how channels are packed. But all art assets will have some sort of weather reaction.

• Upvote 2

This topic is now locked and I'll take time to consider what warnings and holidays to issue. Criticising mods is a no-no as you well know.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've hidden a post and issued a holiday to the offender. Can you please remain civil to one another. Topic reopened but any further aggression and further holidays will be issued.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, mtaxp said:

and rka

tbf rka probably doesnt deserve this accusation. I have completely run out of patience with the other one tho.

a week or two of reasonably intelligent posts then straight back to posting things he really should know are not true, leaving the choice of either wasting time demonstrating yet again they are not true or leaving them as is and people accepting them.

35 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Criticising mods is a no-no as you well know.

Is praising the mods for the generally legendary job they do in the face of our total insanity allowed?

___

back to the topic.

LR recently announced what is coming to XP12 at FSExpo 

This includes snow accumulation on all scenery, breathtaking shader based vegitation system and Austin "gone nuts" on fixing up the weather engine.

Not everything is ready yet, likely not everything will make it into the first release.

Edited by mSparks
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

2 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Is praising the mods for the generally legendary job they do in the face of our total insanity allowed?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that your post wasn't sarcasm.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Getting back to the OP, the question it about the ground textures I believe.  The discussion went awry at this point. The FSExpo presentation was about forestry rather than ground textures. Subsequently to the presentation, pics have emerged from Laminar showing airport texture changes.  So, the question is will ground textures change seasonally along with forestry outside of airports and will the changes be shaders or textures?

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that your post wasn't sarcasm.

Not in sarcasm, avsims moderation policy and enforcement is as far as I'm concerned the best of any forum I frequent (and not just within flightsim) 

Hands off enough to generally allow heated but intelligent debate.

Hands on enough to not let things get completely out of control.

Thats a very hard balance to strike, for example, I dont think I have ever seen a mod here takes sides, nothing annoys me more than for example a mod quoting someone with a "dont feed the trolls" meme in the middle of an interesting discussion.

Every time I've been on the wrong side of a moderator here (and getting on the wrong side of a mod is generally inevitable for anyone who posts a lot), they have been absolutely fair, for example giving the benefit of the doubt whenever there is a chance of misunderstanding intentions.

___

39 minutes ago, Randall said:

So, the question is will ground textures change seasonally along with forestry outside of airports and will the changes be shaders or textures?

snow accumulation for example is going to be regional (no media yet afaik on what it looks like), there is some confusion around whether you will have to wait for it to accumulate once starting the sim in 12.0.

I got snow on ortho "working" last year in XP11

x3gfenv87cv51.png

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

1 minute ago, mSparks said:

Not in sarcasm, avsims moderation policy and enforcement is as far as I'm concerned the best of any forum I frequent (and not just within flightsim) 

Hands off enough to generally allow heated but intelligent debate.

Hands on enough to not let things get completely out of control.

Thats a very hard balance to strike, for example, I dont think I have ever seen a mod here takes sides, nothing annoys me more than for example a mod quoting someone with a "dont feed the trolls" meme in the middle of an interesting discussion.

Every time I've been on the wrong side of a moderator here (and getting on the wrong side of a mod is generally inevitable for anyone who posts a lot), they have been absolutely fair, for example giving the benefit of the doubt whenever there is a chance of misunderstanding intentions.

Thank you for clearing that up. I always do my best to remain impartial as do all the other mods. A high number of posts is no indication you’re likely to get into trouble. Posting in haste and when something or someone has annoyed you is the most likely scenario. That’s why we have the option to hide another member.

Mods can get annoyed as well when we enter into a discussion but remaining calm is the key. 😉

• Like 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Looking nice.... Some nice things I noticed are that it seems to accumulate (i.e. different levels of coverage), and the snow is actually reacting and reflecting the sunlight. Finally, eternal summer is over 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

finally got around to watching (most) of the fselite interview following fsexpo.

Ben and Austin go into a lot more detail on seasons here (and several other topics)

AutoATC Developer