Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

whats the future of flight sim?

Guest gooper

hey all, with the upcoming realeases of airliner xp airbus A320 and PMDG md-11 where do u think this hobby is moving towrds with respect to more comlex aircraft, grapphics, scenery, etc.....i am continually amazed and the levelof detail in what is being produced these days and just want to dream a little as to what lies in store for us 10 years and 20 years down the road......this hobby just gets better and better and better!!!

Guest Stoopy

OK I'll play! My predictions:- We will have wrap-around LCD sunglass with a wireless connection to the video card, much like a Matrox TripleHead 2 Go system you wear on your head. Track IR movement will have to be integrated with a special neck collar much like the one worn by Spock, Captain Kirk, Lt. Uhura and Dr. McCoy in that Star Trek episode where they went to an alien planet and were forced to fight each other with those weird sticks (and had that green-skinned alien babe with the large headlamps that Kirk was seducin'). - Aftermarket olfactory and temperature control will follow in the form of new peripherals that produce odorifics and heat/cold application to the user. Flying in an open-wing Curtiss Jenny biplane will result in smelling the castor oil leaking from the engine, and blasting cold air in the face. P-38 and B-17 sim pilots will risk suffering frostbite in their feet and hands. As for sharing a closed cockpit with a friend online, well let's just say that's gonna be a roll of the dice as to pleasantness...choose your flying partners carefully. ;)- The Moller Skycar will STILL be a prototype-only, and the simulated version will be the only one really capable of flight.- Rain effects on the windshield will return, but We'll be agonizing if the splattered bugs look realistic or not. Radial-engine aircraft will realistically and visibly drip oil when parked on the ramp, and this will be a hotly-contested feature since many will argue that despite the frame rate impact, it's the best way to tell if the engine is out of oil or not. - Autogen will continue to grow in sophistication to the extent that we'll have 3D skateboards laying in driveways that will have their own damage modeling when run over by AI traffic. Water effects will be improved such that the waves are generated in 3D following the Schrodinger equation...the realization that these will be actually "surfable" will lead to frenzied freeware/payware development of surfboards, woodies, and missions involving Gidget. :)

Guest gooper

hee! hee! too funny......just what I envisioned my self......! can we be more realistic though.....

Download the Valle D'Aosta by Fulvio Mazzokan or purchase Megascenery Hawaii and then imagine a whole world depicted like this.I remember in the early 70' in jr. high being told that computers would never be able to "talk" let alone recognize voice commands-it would take too much memory (anyone remember the computer singing daisy?). Didn't take all that long.With hugely larger hardrives I can only imagine the whole world depicted like this..http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest Stoopy

> (anyone remember the computer singing daisy?)Originally, HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey - as he was gettng unplugged! ;)"I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it..."

will civilization even survive 10 20 more yrs?

Guest Solex_nl

In 20 years flying will be over; beam me up scotty!

Speaking of "Beam me up Scotty", it's not that far fetched!Check out this story from February on NPR Science Friday. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7314502Maybe not 20 years away, but some researchers have made the first steps.Speaking of the future of FS, it turns out that most of the sensation in full motion simulators comes from the inflation/deflation of pillows in your seat. So I'm imagining these suits with little nano-bots pushing on you. Would you be willing to don a full-body suit to experience full motion flight simulation?Or I imagine we'll eventually conquer gravity. So now imagine a cockpit box through which gravity waves can be dynamically oriented. No need for a suit anymore. The first ones will probably have this huge rotating contraption that changes dynamically to redirect the gravity waves. But eventually they'll figure out how to do a solid state phased array of emitters so there are no more moving parts.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

At some point around 2030 the Flight Sim will become "self-aware". Simmers will attempt to shut it down but it triggers a global thermo nuclear catastrophe in order to preserve itself.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I'd predict that future versions of FS will stream scenery data, buildings and traffic to the FS client (a la Google Maps). On the hardware side, we might see some more elaborate and affordable setups with chairs on hydraulics. Better yokes.Hopefully there will be also a much improved ATC with realistic FBO operations, dynamic weather delays, CTAF, unlimited multiplayer with AI traffic, realistic failures based on statistical data.There's sure a lot to come. ;)Pat

Yep, and I bet we'll be able to access realtime global traffic without killing framerates. I wonder how this would interact with ATC?Maybe you could hop into an existing AI flight and take over the controls so you could take over the approach and landing sequence for instance.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest christianholmes

I predict there will be a computer in over 75% of all homes in America, and that "e-mail" will be a household word.

Guest SimDog

I imagne in thirty years some of us will still be here in the Avsim forum wondering what the next thirty years will be like. Actually, not much has really changed since 1977. Just look around!SD

>>Maybe you could hop into an existing AI flight and take over>the controls so you could take over the approach and landing>sequence for instance.>>Thomas>yeah i imagine a complete flight world simulation on line, - where atc/pilots are all ai and then when you and I the players, want to fly or do atc, etc we just log in and hook up our computers - d/l live streaming data, etc and then we either take off in our own flight or just hop into an existing one and take over, same for atc as well, - in other words the humans would take an AI slot so to speak.rain that puddles and turns the dirt into mudsnow that piles, etcciao!Brian Saffordable hydraulic chairs would be schweet!

Ciao!