Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

How to Remove Trees in MSFS

Check out Bijans treemod on simmarket. The latest version has new treedata for the UK based on elevation. Looks much better 😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Dra said:

Same quandary I'm facing, will eventually learn to paint in Blender/Substance...but where to start.🤔  I know there is a lot of learning material out there...I just need to roll off the 5 paint projects I'm currently on and free up some time for learning. 🤪

Once you get the hang of it though, I'm sure you'll be chopping down trees all over the world. 🙂

Then comes learning the method to upload and share your work.    Hope to see you jump into the freeware dev pool Howard!

I wouldn't hold your breath Steve! :laugh:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

1 hour ago, qqwertzde said:

If you struggle making progress with removing trees, send me a PM with coordinates of one of the areas you want to change. 

Peter

Hi Peter, appreciated, but it was more of a makeover of several areas around the UK. I guess I'm going to have to bury my head in some tutorials.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Keep in mind that often times when removing trees, that there are ugly polygons underneath (that are photogrammetric trees) that can look worse than the auto-generated trees themselves.

I understand why Microsoft/Asobo put those in whenever I find those as I do my scenery mods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turbomax said:

can I have all the trees in Siberia removed please? I will send the coordinates via PM, promised.

All the trees? That would look pretty bleak, I think. But judging from Northern Canada (where I fly a lot), that may be realistic.

31 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hi Peter, appreciated, but it was more of a makeover of several areas around the UK. I guess I'm going to have to bury my head in some tutorials.

What I had in mind is that I do it for one region and send you the files. You can then very easily adapt this to other regions. I started developing sceneries for MSFS a year ago and it took me about a week to figure out how to set up the files. However, once you have a template, you can modify its structure for other projects. That offer stands for both of you.

Regarding Blender, that an entirely different beast and a very complex piece of software. If you look for tutorials on Blender, you need to make sure that it is not older than a year since they change the way things are done all the time. I think it took me a month to figure out how to produce a surface texture that also shows up in MSFS.

Peter

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, qqwertzde said:

All the trees? That would look pretty bleak, I think. But judging from Northern Canada (where I fly a lot), that may be realistic.

What I had in mind is that I do it for one region and send you the files. You can then very easily adapt this to other regions. I started developing sceneries for MSFS a year ago and it took me about a week to figure out how to set up the files. However, once you have a template, you can modify its structure for other projects. That offer stands for both of you.

Regarding Blender, that an entirely different beast and a very complex piece of software. If you look for tutorials on Blender, you need to make sure that it is not older than a year since they change the way things are done all the time. I think it took me a month to figure out how to produce a surface texture that also shows up in MSFS.

Peter

Peter, that is extremely generous of you and very much appreciated. But when I say I have no experience in scenery developing, I mean zero, zilch, nada! When you say send me the files, what on earth do I do with them?!  :blush: :rolleyes:

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Peter, that is extremely generous of you and very much appreciated. But when I say I have no experience in scenery developing, I mean zero, zilch, nada! When you say send me the files, what on earth do I do with them?!  :blush: :rolleyes:

Further up, it did sound like you are interested in learning some basic skills. If so, these files would get you started. However, you would have to be prepared to learn a bit about the SDK and so on. There are very good guides on FSDeveloper.com, but it is not something you can do in 10 minutes.

However, I may have misunderstood your intentions. If you don't want to learn developing sceneries, and you only have a few (say, < 15) places where you want to remove trees, then I can do that for you. You could either create a Google Earth .klm file, or share an online Google map with me where you indicate the areas where you want trees to be removed.

@turbomax: It occurred to me that replacing trees with scrubs in Siberia might be a good way to fix your issues. That's only one click more difficult than just removing trees 🙂

• Like 1

But when I say I have no experience in scenery developing, I mean zero, zilch, nada! When you say send me the files, what on earth do I do with them?! 

that's why I think it's best if we let Peter cut all trees in the UK in one go, no tree left behind. otherwise someone needs trees cut here, or rather there. or over here?

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

6 minutes ago, qqwertzde said:

It occurred to me that replacing trees with scrubs in Siberia might be a good way to fix your issues. That's only one click more difficult than just removing trees

Peter, thanks for your help.

I was not being serious, no need for a Siberian chain saw massacre 😊

and to write down all 4.8 million tree coordinates (I am nearly finished counting them all)  would take until MSFS 2.0. I have never flown in Siberia, and if you cut those trees, chances are the underlying Bing image might be low resolution ugly. but I agree, a mixture of scrubs and trees in the mix would probably be most realistic. I am afraid we might need a new subforum "MSFS gardening", what do the moderators say?

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

But when I say I have no experience in scenery developing, I mean zero, zilch, nada! When you say send me the files, what on earth do I do with them?! 

perhaps like the author superspud of a-guide-to-msfs-scenery-creation in the flightsim.to scenery course did: use Sketchup instead of Blender, probably a lot easier for the casual tree cutter.

very nice.

13 minutes ago, turbomax said:

I was not being serious, no need for a Siberian chain saw massacre 😊

😄

OK, I didn't get that. Probably because I got my booster shot yesterday 😉

Peter

• Like 1

Good morning everyone.

First post from a newbie here but I have been flight simming since 1982 (ZX Spectrum of course!)

I have exactly the same issues as the OP and a couple of other Brits here - our upland moors and mountains have sprouted random trees.

Having read your thoughts, I went with the buyable DLC that is BIJAN's FOUR SEASON pack; I went for flights over my own area in the west Pennines, then Kinder, around the Lake District. It seems to have done a lot for the landscape and scenery, the colours are spot on for yellowed and brown grasses, and best of all - barely any trees on the fells above a certain height/altitude so I am so far happy to say the application does what it says on the tin.  I'll have a play with it - I have read there is an option for British Gorse bushes somewhere - but the only negative I seem to have found so far  is that on Kinder, the rock outcrops have all been re-imagined as little houses.... oh well!

• Like 1

Not completely off topic, but has anyone feel that the trees in MSFS NOT as good as in other sims? They look too rounded like mushrooms, especially from further distance.

10 hours ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

Not completely off topic, but has anyone feel that the trees in MSFS NOT as good as in other sims? They look too rounded like mushrooms, especially from further distance.

I do think they could be better but at least they don't seem to rotate on their own axis as you fly past as in RoF or IL2; I'd guess that in a flught sim trees are a nightmare as they are irregular but regular in a complex way.

To remove all trees edit your UserCfg , in Steam edition
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserCfg .

{VegetationLarge
        Enabled 0
        Quality 1
    }
    {VegetationSmall
        Enabled 0
        Quality 1
    }