Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

I’m such a Nerd

16 minutes ago, micstatic said:

Honestly.  Just go away.  If you were so happy with the sim you wouldn't even be here in the first place.  First, MSFS isn't new.  I was in the alpha over two years.  It was being tested and worked on years before that.  I mean, MSFS can't even figure out to have the runway lights be turned off during the day.  Eye candy is great when the rest of the sim works. 

Why do you feel the need to come here and state things that most of us totally disagree with you on?  It's pathetic.  

Spot on. Just another guy who can’t stand the fact that someone still dare to enjoy P3D. It seems he’s trying to convince himself that he doesn’t still like P3D. Such a waste of time. 

Cheers, Pete

• Like 6

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Good to see that many still enjoy P3D.

Myself I am using MSFS since januari 2021 and as I had with P3D I have good performance and perhaps 2 CTDs in a year.

In P3D I used pr scenery + custom AG + POIs only and it costed quiet some money to buy it or time to make it. Now I have it everywhere…

I like the cloud models better in MSFS but find the Vol Clouds texture more real.

The Prosim ac feels more real in P3D and I even thought of making a P3D server without view/instruments that operates 2 MSFS view clients by using WidevieW. But then the external lights do not work. And I like to land at dusk too.

I still have P3D installed … 😊

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

3 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

This is a limitation with all games/sims where LOD changes, XP has it too ... one way to address it is to reduce the terrain mesh ... still present but less frequent.  UE5 does not need LODs ... other games manage the problem thru experimentation and adjusting the geometry/textures, crossfade techniques, etc. so as to minimize (still present) visual shift with the LOD change (and exhaustive and mundane task).  BUT, trying to manage this at a global scale in simulators would be very difficult to achieve ... just too much manual work.

IMHO UE5 is the "future" ... but there is still the question of Global rendering ... technically possible in UE5 but I'm not sure if anyone has done it?  UE5 also brings temporal stability (no flickering or shimmer).

Another possibility is to have the GPU handle everything ... but I think we're a few years away from that (assuming of course GPUs aren't forever stuck doing mundane blockchain calculations for crypto garbage).

Cheers, Rob.

Dumb question, what is UE5?

Edit: Found it (Google is my friend ...)

Edited by Nemo
  • Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

13 hours ago, mobiel said:

Would be nice if some scenery developer also notice the improvments of P3D aswell and do not look into the 'playmobile' MSFS only

They will never do that.....You are asking them to admit something they were rushed in (maybe). That venture could be bad decision (maybe...for now it is because initial Hype is over). I still remember year 2005 (I think) and Flight Simulator. You never know...

For all we know, we have EV....but missing infrastructure....But investments are booming. Will see.

Alex 

22 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Good to see that many still enjoy P3D.

Myself I am using MSFS since januari 2021 and as I had with P3D I have good performance and perhaps 2 CTDs in a year.

In P3D I used pr scenery + custom AG + POIs only and it costed quiet some money to buy it or time to make it. Now I have it everywhere…

I like the cloud models better in MSFS but find the Vol Clouds texture more real.

The Prosim ac feels more real in P3D and I even thought of making a P3D server without view/instruments that operates 2 MSFS view clients by using WidevieW. But then the external lights do not work. And I like to land at dusk too.

I still have P3D installed … 😊

A blend of the two simulators would be amazing!

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 minute ago, micstatic said:

A blend of the two simulators would be amazing!

In one SIM though.... LOL

• Like 2

Alex 

On 1/15/2022 at 3:24 PM, Rob_Ainscough said:

MSFS - KSFO (default) - graphics settings maxed out:

spacer.png

P3D - KSFO (FB non-PBR) + Orbx - graphics settings close to maxed out:

spacer.png

There is just not enough visual incentive to make MSFS my primary simulator.  Sure I'm comparing MSFS default vs. P3D add-ons ... but what does that matter, I've had these two add-ons for many years and there just isn't enough reason to buy them again for MSFS even if they were available for MSFS.

If you look close, P3D SF City buildings are more numerous and more accurate height depiction than what MSFS provides with Photogrammetry and it's max LoDRadius.  I think the light scattering in P3D is a little too much but hopefully an adjustment for that will be coming in the near future.

If MS/Asobo wanted me to fully migrate to MSFS, they will need to bring a lot more to the table.  I'm not interested in free default airports and free default aircraft, but MS/Asobo just keep adding them ... not interested.  Fully accurate weather engine and functional ATC, now that's interesting to me but MS/Asobo needs to bring more than I've already got.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: these are both 4K res images so you'll need to view them full screen and preferable on a 4k monitor to appreciate the differences.

I'm a nerd too (not a super nerd yet). I love this comparison of the two sims together. I have so much invested into P3D (coming from FSX to P3Dv4-v5) and I can not afford to buy everything I had in P3D for MSFS. When devs like Aerosoft don't even give a customer (appreciation) discount for their CRJs, it's not logical decision for me. Other devs have given some discounts for both platforms and I'm grateful for them. I'm gonna stick with P3D for a long time. I look forward to the new features P3D v5+ will offer. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tangjuice81 said:

I'm a nerd too (not a super nerd yet). I love this comparison of the two sims together. I have so much invested into P3D (coming from FSX to P3Dv4-v5) and I can not afford to buy everything I had in P3D for MSFS. When devs like Aerosoft don't even give a customer (appreciation) discount for their CRJs, it's not logical decision for me. 

It's for this very reason that I've decided to buy each aircraft only once, for one of my sims. I don't see anything compelling in the Marketplace anyway apart from lots of output from the Carenado sausage machine. The last two high-end airliners I had were the PMDG NGX and the FS Labs Airbus, both for FSX. I didn't see a compelling reason to buy them again for P3D, but a discount might have changed my mind. I still have my iFLy 737 in P3D v4 and the Zibo 737 in XP11 and if I do pick up another 737 it will only be after I've flown the hell out of them. If I go down the Airbus road it's far more likely to be Flight Factor or Toliss for XP11 than FS Labs for P3D.

Except KIng Airs, because I just love them. Even Carenado's.

And Aerosoft's MSFS Twin Otter, because the MSFS scenery just cries out for a decent bush plane. 🙂 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Fair enough, but I have both FSLabs and FF Airbus and FSLabs is definitely the superior of the two if you need to make a one vendor choice.

Cheers, Rob.

Oh I agree (I still remember that lovely clunk as you turn on the battery that doesn't appear to be replicated by the others), but the FF is nearly half the price...is the FS Labs, while better, 2 x as good? Also I have some reservations about FS Labs after the last time round. Still, never say never and a less expensive Airbus might serve as a gateway drug to the FS Labs P3D version, who knows. I wouldn't rule out the Aerosoft P3D version either.  The point stands, though; if FS Labs had offered a decent discount I'd probably have pulled the trigger on the purchase with a lot less hesitation, like with Majestic.