Sign in to follow this  
lgcharlot

KPDX ILS's are the same frequency in both directions?

I have encountered a situation involving ILS frequencies that I don't know how to handle. At Portland Int'l, (KPDX), the ILS frequency for both runway 10L (IVDG) and 28R (IIAP) is 111.30. And on the other runway, 10R (IPDX) and 28L (IJMJ), it is 110.50. According to the World Map, and the data in LittleNavMap, all four of these ILS transmitters have DME and a 3% glide slope.

When making an approach to runway 28R in the TBM930, I set the Nav1 radio to 111.30, but the VOR it is picking up is IVDG, for Runway 10L, not IIAP which is the one I want. I tried pushing the BC button on the autopilot panel, and that makes the course pointer needle on the VOR point the correct direction, but it doesn't switch the radio to IIAP, and therefore I'm not picking up the IIAP glide slope on my approach.

This is probably the first time I've set KPDX as my destination, and I don't recall ever running into another airport in MSFS or FSX that had the same ILS frequencies for both directions on the same runway alignment. Is there some way to inform the autopilot/nav radio that I want the "other" ILS, IIAP, instead of IVDG? Thanks!

35 minutes ago, lgcharlot said:

I have encountered a situation involving ILS frequencies that I don't know how to handle. At Portland Int'l, (KPDX), the ILS frequency for both runway 10L (IVDG) and 28R (IIAP) is 111.30. And on the other runway, 10R (IPDX) and 28L (IJMJ), it is 110.50. According to the World Map, and the data in LittleNavMap, all four of these ILS transmitters have DME and a 3% glide slope.

Those frequencies are correct and the same as for the RW airport. They can do that because at any given time, only one runway will be active and in use, e.g., either 10L or 280R, but not both, and so only the Localizer (not VOR) for the active runway will be on.

Unfortunately, in the sim both Localizers seem to be on at the same time. So, for example, if you are landing on 28R, I would try not to fly in the approach area to 10L, etc. And once you are on approach to 28R I think (hope) you would pick up the correct Localizer.

Al

Edited by ark

10 minutes ago, ark said:

Those frequencies are correct and the same as for the RW airport. They can do that because at any given time, only one runway will be active and in use, e.g., either 10L or 280R, but not both, and so only the Localizer (not VOR) for the active runway will be on.

Al

I've tried changing the ground wind direction to NW, to line up with 28R, but this doesn't seem to make the sim switch the "active runway" to 28R. It's as if the default active runway is 10L, and the sim doesn't care what direction the wind is blowing from. Is there some other control I'm not aware of, to change the active runways at an airport to other than the defaults?

28 minutes ago, lgcharlot said:

Is there some other control I'm not aware of, to change the active runways at an airport to other than the defaults?

No, not that I'm aware of.  Maybe there is a bug in the KPDX scenery.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ark said:

No, not that I'm aware of.  Maybe there is a bug in the KPDX scenery.

Al

I have encountered the same error in 28R at KPDX. It should be IIAP and not IVDG at 111.30. I use FlightBeam's KPDX but the same error shows up without Flight Beam's KPDX using native MSFS2020 which usually is correct. Not this time. Likely have to log this with ASOBO as an error that needs fixing or with FlightBeam or with both. 

United001

• Upvote 1

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

24 minutes ago, united001 said:

I have encountered the same error in 28R at KPDX. It should be IIAP and not IVDG at 111.30. I use FlightBeam's KPDX but the same error shows up without Flight Beam's KPDX using native MSFS2020 which usually is correct. Not this time. Likely have to log this with ASOBO as an error that needs fixing or with FlightBeam or with both. 

United001

I sent a bug report to Zendesk with the particulars. Maybe someone else has reported this, too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lgcharlot said:

When making an approach to runway 28R in the TBM930, I set the Nav1 radio to 111.30, but the VOR it is picking up is IVDG, for Runway 10L,

The VOR has nothing to do with the ILS...be sure you have the freq set into the correct radio.

Jay