Sign in to follow this  
Wakner

Kodiak vs Cessna 208B Grand Caravan EX Improvement Mod

3 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Nothing is wrong with my toe brakes, but it's easier to apply about 5-10% brakes with a handle on my Hotas than hold the same pressure with my feet and steer the aircraft at the same time.

That is probably why it is jerky. . 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Or check your throttle axis.  No way taxiing with low idle and throttle all the way back gets that fast. Like Bob said, just a toe tap here or there to keep it 15-20kts taxi. Maybe you have some trailing throttle on the axis so even when you think it’s closed, you’re still giving the plane some throttle.

8 minutes ago, NismoRR said:

Or check your throttle axis.  No way taxiing with low idle and throttle all the way back gets that fast. Like Bob said, just a toe tap here or there to keep it 15-20kts taxi. Maybe you have some trailing throttle on the axis so even when you think it’s closed, you’re still giving the plane some throttle.

I am going to land in Venezuela in about 15 minutes, and I will check my taxi speed when I do , with EFB, which is very accurate. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

10 minutes ago, NismoRR said:

Nothing is wrong with my setup, I may be exaggerating a bit when it comes to speed, but it is significantly faster than other aircraft, of course I can keep the speed down by taping the brakes now and then, but it's annoying to have to do that, but I have come up with a solution that works for me.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

29 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am going to land in Venezuela in about 15 minutes, and I will check my taxi speed when I do , with EFB, which is very accurate. 

OK, just landed, turned of wind in MSFS, and taxied Kodiak for about 1/2 mile with low idle, 20 degrees flaps,  and throttle min.  Taxi speed settled at 17 knots with no brakes applied. 

Edited by Bobsk8

26 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Does MSFS not model Beta range?

It does, but I think its convenience of use depends on your hardware. There are two control bindings: "propellor reverse thrust" and "throttle reverse thrust". 

I first bound the prop reverse to a latching switch on my warthog throttle, and found that to be equivalent to beta.  Fine for controlling taxi speed, but spooling the throttle up did not yeild any reverse thrust. 

I then changed that latching switch to "throttle reverse thrust" and this works well.  If I toggle that thumb switch and leave the throttle at idle, it functions as beta.  If I spool up the throttle, I get nice reverse.  So it's a one-stop solution, just like the power lever works in the real aircraft. 

• Like 1

Andrew Crowley

2 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

It does, but I think its convenience of use depends on your hardware. There are two control bindings: "propellor reverse thrust" and "throttle reverse thrust". 

I first bound the prop reverse to a latching switch on my warthog throttle, and found that to be equivalent to beta.  Fine for controlling taxi speed, but spooling the throttle up did not yeild any reverse thrust. 

I then changed that latching switch to "throttle reverse thrust" and this works well.  If I toggle that thumb switch and leave the throttle at idle, it functions as beta.  If I spool up the throttle, I get nice reverse.  So it's a one-stop solution, just like the power lever works in the real aircraft. 

Neither are true Beta though. Those are Reverse thrust.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Adrian123 said:

Neither are true Beta though. Those are Reverse thrust.

I would say the "prop reverse thrust" is true beta, in the sense that it just flattens the blades to produce no thrust, in either direction. You can verify this by setting this flavor of reverse and then spooling up your throttle at a standstill.  You go nowhere, forwards or backwards ;).

Andrew Crowley

6 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

I would say the "prop reverse thrust" is true beta, in the sense that it just flattens the blades to produce no thrust, in either direction. You can verify this by setting this flavor of reverse and then spooling up your throttle at a standstill.  You go nowhere, forwards or backwards ;).

How do you set "prop reverse thrust" up on your Warthog, on the gray lever axis?

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I mean I dont know? Only experience I have with TP beta thrust is Xplane. It allows the toggling of Beta range, a 
Beta" indicator light is activated then the use of throttle for more or less ground thrust and works great if the aircraft also models it. I was always told FS doesn't model true Beta range.

Edited by Adrian123

I always understood beta to just mean neutral prop pitch that creates no thrust at all, only drag.  On the PT-6 (in the caravan anyway, and the Kodiak throttle quadrant looks the same) it's achieved by moving the throttle back below idle into the beta range.  Moving the throttle further back moves the prop into a reverse pitch and starts spooling the engine up for reverse thrust.  I don't remember a beta indication in the cockpit, but it's been a minute (or 20+years lol).

Andrew Crowley

18 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

How do you set "prop reverse thrust" up on your Warthog, on the gray lever axis?

Naw, I use that axis as an elevator trim wheel (of course, also use the hat switch on the stick as an electric trim switch, but for some sim aircraft like the Stearman the axis works better.)

For reverse, I used the three-position latching switch under your left thumb, on the throttle. I bound the aft position of that switch to "throttle reverse thrust."  Now when I have the throttle at idle and I toggle that switch aft, the prop is in reverse, and if I advance the throttle, progressively more reverse thrust is applied.  It works well; as in real life, you can back the plane up this way (but stay off the brakes!  😉 .)

• Like 2

Andrew Crowley

22 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

Naw, I use that axis as an elevator trim wheel (of course, also use the hat switch on the stick as an electric trim switch, but for some sim aircraft like the Stearman the axis works better.)

For reverse, I used the three-position latching switch under your left thumb, on the throttle. I bound the aft position of that switch to "throttle reverse thrust."  Now when I have the throttle at idle and I toggle that switch aft, the prop is in reverse, and if I advance the throttle, progressively more reverse thrust is applied.  It works well; as in real life, you can back the plane up this way (but stay off the brakes!  😉 .)

That's exactly how I have my Warthog throttle setup too! 

Former Child, Current Adult

1 hour ago, Stearmandriver said:

I tried the prop reverse thrust, and it worked pretty well also 👍