Sign in to follow this  
CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger

Any PF3 users?

3 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

No, not at all. It works with hotkeys. It does not come with speech recognition itself.

You can use a speech recognition software to trigger these hotkeys, but you don't have to of course.

It depends on what you want to achieve. I never manually entered any SID or STAR when using PF3. You just choose your last waypoint before the STAR, then PF3 clears you for the approach (or gives vectors if configured respectively). You fly the STAR yourself according to the charts then contact Tower when stabilized on final.

If you expect ATC to micromanage you along the STAR though, PF3 is not for you.

True, if you expect PF3, while you are flying a star, to tell you to turn to this heading, turn to that heading , turn to this heading.....It won't do that , and either would real ATC. You just fly the star. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, phmcr said:

I purchased it but shelfed it. I do not like the robotic voices (although I understand it is hard to get them fluent) and I have been in contact with the author about the STAR. THe program calculates waypoints that are not part of your route. These are for internal use only and If you wish to alter altitudes in the STAR you should also adjust the altitudes the program uses in its own waypoints. Hence, you need to calculate all these in advance. That doesnot add to my feeling of freedom.

If you want freedom, just fly VFR...and leave your radio off. 😉

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Pilot2ATC? 

I tried that a couple of years ago, used alot of my CPU, and it came with two voices, and additional voices were around $30 each. I bought a couple of voices, and switched to PF3 after a few weeks.  

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

True, if you expect PF3, while you are flying a star, to tell you to turn to this heading, turn to that heading , turn to this heading.....It won't do that , and either would real ATC. You just fly the star. 

I'd hate that. 😉 I might give the demo a try (despite phmcr's post which I don't entirely understand yet...) 

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

If you want freedom, just fly VFR...and leave your radio off. 😉

It's obvious you never looked at it that detailed.

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

Just now, phmcr said:

It's obvious you never looked at it that detailed.

Could you explain what the problem is exactly according to you? 

7 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Does PF3 give you vectors at random (like when it's quiet and a star isn't really needed)? 

No, not by itself. You have to set up if PF3 gives vectors or clears you for the STAR before the flight. It is on the wishlist.

But there is an addon called "Randomizer" which (among other things) alters this setting randomly in the background if you want it to. I use it all the time.

6 minutes ago, tup61 said:

despite phmcr's post which I don't entirely understand yet...

What he reports only applies to those who want to be micromanaged along the STAR. Then indeed you have to set the proper altitudes for all the waypoints along the STAR.

If you fly the STAR for yourself according to the charts you don't bother with that because PF3 will clear you for the final approach altitude right away - and you follow the constraints of the STAR for yourself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Interesting. And no, I don't want micromanagement because that defeats the purpose of sids and stars. Does PF3 give you vectors at random (like when it's quiet and a star isn't really needed)? 

If you don't tell PF3 you are going to do a star at your approach, it will vector you to the runway. If you tell it you are going to do a star, it will guide you to  your last waypoint in your flight plan, and then tell you to fly your star ( if there is one). If there is no star, just ask for vectors to the airport. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

No, not by itself. You have to set up if PF3 gives vectors or clears you for the STAR before the flight. It is on the wishlist.

But there is an addon called "Randomizer" which (among other things) alters this setting randomly in the background if you want it to. I use it all the time.

Interesting! Sounds cool. If you skip a star will you be vectored to a nice intercept of an ILS? That would be interesting because afaik sids and stars aren't flown every time in real life (as they are in sims). I might prefer vectoring if that works well. 

EDIT

Missed your post while I was typing, Bob. 😉 Sounds cool! Now I will definitely try the demo. 

Edited by tup61

Just now, tup61 said:

Interesting! Sounds cool. If you skip a star will you be vectored to a nice intercept of an ILS? That would be interesting because afaik sids and stars aren't flown every time in real life (as they are in sims). I might prefer vectoring if that works well. 

Yes you will be vectored to intercept the ILS. It works fine 99 % of the time. You also get speed limits.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

You know, I haven't used the randomizer in a long time  ( years). I should fire that up again and start using it. 

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

You know, I haven't used the randomizer in a long time  ( years). I should fire that up again and start using it. 

Absolutely. Unfortunately the developer of that app seems not to be active anymore, but you can still get it here:

https://www.sbsim.com/simrandomizer

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tup61 said:

will you be vectored to a nice intercept of an ILS

But be aware that PF3 does not know about MSA, so it might vector you into a mountain. So don't choose the vector option when flying into mountainous terrain.

And just as a disclaimer: I am a Beta Tester for PF3.

Edited by RALF9636