Sign in to follow this  

Can someone please help me, 

I'm running 

RTX 3070 

32gb Ram

When i look on Youtube all i see and hear is how good the HP Reverb G2 is with MSFS2020, but im just not getting the performance that i see other people are getting...

Ive tried all sorts of settings ( maybe to many ) 

Im just at a loss now, what a waste of money if this is how its going to be for me....just feel like packing it all up and taking it outside putting it in a pile and burning it...its very frustrating.

Any help would be so appreciated and would save mt setup from certain death.

Lee.

Hi Lee,

Are you able to upload a photo of your current MSFS settings?

Are you definately using OpenXR as the runtime for your headset (if you've been using steamVR for other games, it may still be set for that, and it gives a noticeably lower FPS in MSFS)

Are you using the latest OpenXR and OpenXR Developer Tool software? This needs to be installed or updated through the microsoft store utility in windows.

And of course you need to set your expectations to what the hardware can handle.

Firstly set the VR settings to the default MSFS, you should get good frame rates.  Frame rates will always be better looking ahead than down the side.  Dense urban scenery sometimes slows to a crawl for me when turning sharply or looking around too much.  But the default settings should handle anything you can throw at it.

Then try increasing some of the settings, such as texture resolutions, and LOD radius etc, bit by bit.  You'll know when you've reached your personal limit.

Flying in country areas such as bush trips allows high settings to be used pretty well across the board.  Cities will require lower settings.

Don't assume your frame rates are going to be like other games, all flight sims are very demanding and expectations need to be lowered.  Frame rates of 20-30 are very acceptable and allow smooth forward vision and only a bit of jerkiness when looking to the side.

I find that reducing the size of the MSFS window and the Mixed Reality portal to their minimums helps, as does downloading and running the OpenXR toolkit companion.

The advantages of VR outweigh the 2D mode so much that compromising on frame rates is well worth it for the experience.

• Like 3

VR does NOT run well on MSFS no matter what your setup is and want people say.

I have an RTX 3080 and a 5 GHz processor and I managed to make it run in an acceptable way on my G2 (meaning 45 FPS constantly) with these easy advices:

- Render scaling 70. Yes this is a bit sad, you get a great headset but need ot reduce resolution. The result is a bit blurry but still looks great.

- Terrain and Object LOD reduced to 60 (you can play a little bit with that)

- Set other features to Intermediate

- Avoid flying over large cities

Hopefully things will get better this year with DLSS implementation.

Alternatively, use Aerofly FS and enjoy 90 FPS and a couple of photorealistic scenaries, in particular New York and Switzerland.

On 2/8/2022 at 12:44 PM, nojwod said:

The advantages of VR outweigh the 2D mode so much that compromising on frame rates is well worth it for the experience.

The general rule is that there should be 0 compromises with framerates on VR. For most people, VR under 45 FPS is so awful it is unbearable. Better no VR at all.

I somehow envy you if you can deal with it.

I'm running an Odyssey+, (lower resolution), on a GTX 1080 and I am surprised how good it is.  I run at either 100 or 90% in MSFS and 70% in OpenXR, with reprojection enabled (most settings on high).  I also run at 60Hz refresh, which I don't notice with this headset (seems more noticeable on LCDs for some reason).  With this setup, I only need to hit 15 fps to get a smooth view, with very minor reprojection artefacts.  Most of the time it runs at 20 fps, so only inserting two frames instead of three.  I've also experimented with the openxr toolkit.  This will keep me going until graphics cards are available again.  I'm sure if you keep experimenting you will find what works for you.  Some people don't like reprojection because of artefacts, typically seen on the edges of the cockpit as you move past the scenery.  This has improved over time.  There is also an issue with the strobe effect on the propellers, but this has been solved by third-party texture substitutions.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 12:58 PM, haltux said:

The general rule is that there should be 0 compromises with framerates on VR. For most people, VR under 45 FPS is so awful it is unbearable. Better no VR at all.

I somehow envy you if you can deal with it.

Bit of ambiguous generalizing there.  Sorry that VR has been a bad experience for you.  I get along fine running VR at 40 fps with my HP Reverb G2 revised, though there were LOTS of compromises I had to make to find it enjoyable.  For me "the whole" VR experience is much greater than the sum of its (yet to be perfected) parts.

Edit for the OP:  The difference in settings between using MSFS in VR and 2D are substantial.  I use mostly moderate MSFS setting for my 3080 ti, and a 85% render scale, though through using the excellent OpenXR Toolkit mod, which I highly recommend.  If my 3080 ti struggles using my less than top end setting, I can imagine that a 3070 would be crushed unless its MSFS settings are dialed down even further.  As mentioned, your expectations have to be tempered.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

9 hours ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Bit of ambiguous generalizing there.  Sorry that VR has been a bad experience for you.  I get along fine running VR at 40 fps with my HP Reverb G2 revised, though there were LOTS of compromises I had to make to find it enjoyable.  For me "the whole" VR experience is much greater than the sum of its (yet to be perfected) parts.

Edit for the OP:  The difference in settings between using MSFS in VR and 2D are substantial.  I use mostly moderate MSFS setting for my 3080 ti, and a 85% render scale, though through using the excellent OpenXR Toolkit mod, which I highly recommend.  If my 3080 ti struggles using my less than top end setting, I can imagine that a 3070 would be crushed unless its MSFS settings are dialed down even further.  As mentioned, your expectations have to be tempered.

Hi can you give me any tips. What is the OpenXR Toolkit mod.? I have borrowed a Quest  2 and returning it after this weekend  I have a 3080 but struggling a little. It’s ok out the front but sides really jerks along even in unpopulated areas.  Settings turned down to default  tried running at various hrtz settings  Any advise appreciated ,if I can get it running well will be a purchase 

thanks for any help

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

10 hours ago, Bozdog said:

Hi can you give me any tips. What is the OpenXR Toolkit mod.?

Here's everything to know about using the OpenXR Toolkit: https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

I suggest using the FSR scaler/sharpen at 70% scale, 60% sharpen.  Lowering the scale will increase FPS while adding more blur to the cockpit, increasing the scale will do the opposite.  The same goes for the sharpen, though its impact on FPS is less.  As mentioned above, a good starting point for the VR graphics settings are its default settings, which can be set by clicking the default button at the bottom of the graphics settings.  Note that MSFS has a VR specific graphics setting tab that is automatically enabled when MSFS is in VR mode, but can be selected when not in VR mode.  When using the OpenXR Toolkit, set the in game Render Scale graphics setting to 100 since the FSR scaler does the same thing more efficiently.  Don't be intimidated by having to use low setting!  A smooth 3D VR experience can definitely make up for and overcome those seeming "deficiencies". 

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

50 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Here's everything to know about using the OpenXR Toolkit: https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

I suggest using the FSR scaler/sharpen at 70% scale, 60% sharpen.  Lowering the scale will increase FPS while adding more blur to the cockpit, increasing the scale will do the opposite.  The same goes for the sharpen, though its impact on FPS is less.  As mentioned above, a good starting point for the VR graphics settings are its default settings, which can be set by clicking the default button at the bottom of the graphics settings.  Note that MSFS has a VR specific graphics setting tab that is automatically enabled when MSFS is in VR mode, but can be selected when not in VR mode.  When using the OpenXR Toolkit, set the in game Render Scale graphics setting to 100 since the FSR scaler does the same thing more efficiently.  Don't be intimidated by having to use low setting!  A smooth 3D VR experience can definitely make up for and overcome those seeming "deficiencies". 

Thank you very much.  Just one more question. The cable used is a usb 3 to usb C. Could this beholding it back?  I have a usb C on the back of my pc and would C to C give me better performance do you know ?

Quest 2

Windows 11

1 hour ago, Bozdog said:

Thank you very much.  Just one more question. The cable used is a usb 3 to usb C. Could this beholding it back?  I have a usb C on the back of my pc and would C to C give me better performance do you know ?

If the cable in question is spec'ed for the USB rev needed by the HMD, e.g. 3.2, as is the USB port it uses on your motherboard, there is no advantage to be had over using a C to C cable.

Rod O.

Guys please, if you aren't doing a point to point comment on a long post then please do that quote the entire post. Select the item you wish to respond to and delete the rest.

Thank you. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

13 hours ago, TheFamilyMan said:

If the cable in question is spec'ed for the USB rev needed by the HMD, e.g. 3.2, as is the USB port it uses on your motherboard, there is no advantage to be had over using a C to C cable.

Just done  a test on the cable shows in the app  370mbs. I am assuming that’s 0.37 gig so perhaps need a better one ?

Quest 2

Windows 11