Sign in to follow this  
Bilbosmeggins

Weather/Wind not representative

Although it looks rather beautiful, I’m quite surprised how basic the weather, or more specifically, the wind seems to be. We are currently experiencing some quite severe storms here in the UK, so I figured it would be interesting to see if I could survive a flight, with Live Weather, in an ultralight!

The take off was interesting as I went airborne going backwards, but once aloft things were just dull. I took the VGP Powersolo up to about 7,000 ft and, apart from the crazy ground speed, there was nothing remarkable about the flight whatsoever. In fact, I could have been on a lazy, tranquil flight on a calm autumn afternoon. I was expecting crazy buffeting, coming from huge gusts of wind, but there were none at all. No rollercoaster drops, or gains, of altitude.  No suddenly dropping a wing and fighting for control. In fact, as I looked out to the wingtips, they just nudged and murmured occasionally, like any average flight.

So what I took from this, was that the air felt completely laminar.  I could have been ridge soaring at the coast.  Yes the wind was strong, but with no turbulence whatsoever. In fact, come to think of it, I’ve only ever experienced rough, turbulent air when flying leeside of mountains.  Storm Franklin certainly looked the part, but was such a disappointment. Just wondered if this was par for the course, or if the Live Weather was just acting up a bit?

Edited by Bilbosmeggins
Typo
  • Like 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

Live Weather has been fairly inconsistent. Sometimes I'll fly through a storm and it'll be quite turbulent. Other times it's as you say, strong, steady wind.

At least it's better than it was at release, when you could literally fly into a hurricane and not experience any wind whatsoever.

• Like 1

Are there certain areas of the world that have good weather interpretations, or is it hit and miss globally?

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

Gusts have gone AWOL in Live Weather.

• Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Is live weather down right now. I'm getting the 225/03 bug again?

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

33 minutes ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

I’ve only ever experienced rough, turbulent air when flying leeside of mountains

Cloud turbulence is implemented on my end. I've gotten it over the Caribbean and Australia

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

I only get turbulent air when over mountains, clouds don't give me any, gusts don't either. I wish this could be fixed it really takes away from sim. 

• Like 1

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

12 minutes ago, jer2929 said:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/community/dev-q-a-open-for-questions/320

I would encourage you to vote on the weather topics for the next dev q&a. The topics of weather have dominated as most agree weather has regressed significantly since su7 and has not improved at all in the su8 beta. 

Thanks for the heads-up. I’ve just had a read through, and given it a vote. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Cloud turbulence is implemented on my end. I've gotten it over the Caribbean and Australia

Well, it’s good to hear that someone, at least, is getting the full monty.

14 minutes ago, Anthony25368 said:

I only get turbulent air when over mountains, clouds don't give me any, gusts don't either. I wish this could be fixed it really takes away from sim. 

Are you running the SU8 beta?

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Ah ok well if you want to have a much improved experience now, join the SU8 beta. It is open to everyone on all platforms.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

ok great thank you so much. I will wait until it is released. I can live with it for now.

Anthony

2 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Ah ok well if you want to have a much improved experience now, join the SU8 beta. It is open to everyone on all platforms.

What's improved on your end? If so, that's great! However, I've flown a ton in the su8 beta and haven't seen any improvements. Gusts are completely missing as is any sort of cloud turbulence we used to have. Other than guaranteed mechanical turbulence over mountains that seems more like a simple equation opposed to a dynamic situation, nothing has improved on my end with su8

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2