Sign in to follow this  
Emerson67

Microsoft is testing ads in the Windows 11 File Explorer

Yikes!!!

I'm tired of ads. YouTube ads that come on in middle of watching something (or even worse when listening to music or rain sounds). Twitch ads that pop up that can't be skipped (up to NINE of them). Different streaming services online that send ads while watching a show... I'm sure YouTube (Google) and Twitch (Amazon) aren't hurting for revenue but they are sure acting like it.

Now... Windows ads? I habitually ignore ads as they are a nuisance. Already on Edge, I can tell that its reading what I search for as suddenly my ads are flight/airline related. I really don't want to open File Explorer in the near future and see a giant ad "Navigate your way to better Power Point presentations" or "Pilots hate him because of this one simple Word trick! Click here!"

There ARE ways to get around ads and, yes, I employ those tactics, but it looks like there is no limit to where they will try to stick an intrusive ad (or even worse, malware disguised as an ad). Some have said you can disable the ads in Win 11, but IMO, if ads are embedded in your OS, they are on, running and collecting your information all the time... you just can't see them; and its been that way for awhile now. It's just getting more obvious.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

More here.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Adblocker. I don't even browse the web without them, and i go the extra mile as to develop my own for sites that insist in blocking my adblocker. It's garbage and i wouldn't buy anything suggested anyway, so they're useless to me and usually ruin the webpages.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

14 hours ago, RichieFly said:

More here.

I wouldn't sweat it.

“This was an experimental banner that was not intended to be published externally and was turned off,” says Brandon LeBlanc, senior program manager for Windows, in a statement to The Verge.

But you don't experiment with something unless you intend to utilise it in the future, so I'd still be concerned.

4 hours ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Adblocker.

Exactly. I also find that Edge's Immersive Reader (F9 key) is handy for hiding ads or, in some cases at least, circumventing GDPR or subscription site blocks. Of course, that's a Microsoft feature, so they could simply remove it in future.🙄 Not sure if there's a third party equivalent.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I have a ProxMox server that I run several virtual machines on, one is an Ubuntu Server running Adguard Home. It blocks ads on every device connected to my network so go on Microsoft do your worst lol

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png