Sign in to follow this  
stewartforgie

WU8. Out of ideas. help needed.

I am using the Steam version of MSFS Premium deluxe and I cant get the update to work I get stuck while downloading fs-base-1.21.fspatch.002 . It gets to 100% And then reverts to fs-base-0.1.205.package.001 This keeps repeating over and over.

Now before World Update 8, a re-install has always cured this problem but now with this latest update even a re-install is not helping. I am at a loss as to what to try next and need any help I can get. Does anyone know what causes this problem and how to properly solve it?

What I did in the past (when my download was stuck)  I went to the official/onestore folder and deleted the hung folder.

No idea if this might help you.

• Like 1

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

My guess is that it's an Asobo server load issue. With the smaller files, there aren't too many people connected at once (as they quickly move onto the next file) - but, with the larger files, I'm guessing there'll be many more simultaneous connections (to that same file) and the server craps out.

I've had this problem myself, but not this time - as I managed to update mine when (I think) the northern hemisphere was still asleep (I'm in New Zealand). A friend of mine tried his update much later and is having exactly thesame problem.

I suspect all the tricks you'll find out there (and there are dozens) ended up working just out of luck - just hitting the servers at a better time. A few posters actually recommend trying multiple times ... saying they got through in the end.

As I said though ... that's just my guess :;

Edited by Adamski_NZ

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

There are some people in Avsim who posted about pausing the installer, deleting the file that is having problems downloading, and then resuming the installer to force it to redownload that file. I have not done this myself yet so please do this at your own risk.  And before you do this, you should search the posts in the Avsim forum and the official MSFS forums for people that have done this and the exact instructions needed to do accomplish this (the instructions I just gave are not precise instructions so please don't follow my instructions - rather, find the post where the poster did it and follow that post's instructions instead).

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Deleting the .part file (or all of them) doesn't cure it on my friend's system. It continues to fail on the same file.

I would delete fs-base-1.21.fspatch.002 and fs-base-1.21.fspatch.001 to try and get unstuck. I would not reinstall the sim. I found that deleting the stuck file AND the one right before it cured the problem. And I think those two files will not be erased if you do a sim reinstall. Because they are not in the base folders. They are in the special download folder.

I would use a file search utility to find where the file fs-base-1.21.fspatch.002 or maybe fs-base-1.21.fspatch.002.part is located.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

OK - let's see if we can unravel this mystery!!

On my friend's (MS Store) system the .part files are in:
E:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-194480870-3431723971-2597971725-1002\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore

Are they in another location *as well*? - what do you mean by "special folder"?

When looking at the part files during the update, they all appear up until around fs-base-1.21, but they all get wiped instantly once the loop restarts.

Edited by Adamski_NZ

One thing I have noticed is that when the loop starts it no longer goes back to fs-base-0.1.205.package.001 but starts again at fs-base-0.1.206.patch.001, also the following files in the download are all there in numerical order from fs-base-0.1.206.patch.001 till fs-base-1.222.fspatch except fs-base-1.218.fspatch which seems to be missing from the list. Now I am wondering could this missing file be the reason the whole fs base portion seems to fail? I think It seems like it downloads everything then tries to decompress but when it finds fs-base-1.18.fspatch missing it just goes back to try and download the entire thing again.

Edit : as the loop restarts , the last message to show up is definitely "Decompressing fs-base-0.1.206.patch.001" this message comes up very briefly before it reverts to downloading fs-base-0.1.206.patch.001 I am pretty confident the absence of fs-base-1.218.fspatch is the cause of the stall and loop but I don't know how it can be resolved without access to the missing file.

Edited by stewartforgie

8 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

OK - let's see if we can unravel this mystery!!

On my friend's (MS Store) system the .part files are in:
E:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-194480870-3431723971-2597971725-1002\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore

Are they in another location *as well*? - what do you mean by "special folder"?

When looking at the part files during the update, they all appear up until around fs-base-1.21, but they all get wiped instantly once the loop restarts.

Does your friend have the same version of MSFS that you have? If you have the exact same MSFS version as your friend, in theory, if you have downloaded the entire update, as a last resort for your friend, you may be able to copy the relevant files from your computer to your friend's computer, that your friend is stuck on.  This is a last resort option only.  Preferably, your friend is able to download everything directly from the MSFS servers.  But as a last resort if nothing else works for your friend, you can try this option - but you should have the same MSFS version as your friend for this to work (ie. if you have the Standard version of MSFS but your friend has the Premium Deluxe version of MSFS, I don't think this would work).  And if you choose this last resort, I would only copy the relevant files to your friend's computer that he is stuck on (you can copy all the MSFS files onto your external USB drive when you go to your friend's house, but just copy the relevant files to your friend's computer that he is stuck on - if he gets stuck again, you have the other files waiting on your external USB drive to copy over).

Edited by abrams_tank

Have you tried simply restarting the PC?
I get the package looping thing every time the aerosoft twin otter has an update. Restarting the pc and trying again in content manager fixes it.

7 minutes ago, SoJourned said:

Have you tried simply restarting the PC?
I get the package looping thing every time the aerosoft twin otter has an update. Restarting the pc and trying again in content manager fixes it.

Tried that on numerous occasions but no go I'm afraid.

probably useless post on my part because you tried everything already and i read that you have reinstalled the full sim without success which is even more painful but, if you haven't done already, you should maybe try to delete only the fs-base folder that is in your official/steam folder.

I also have the steam version and had the exact same problem that you describe with the WU7 update and that's the only thing that fixed it for me. Make also sure to disable your anti-virus / anti-malware / anti-ransomware software for a few minutes during the update to make sure it's not interfering (avast was an issue for some users, although it was not for me).

good luck, it's a pain when you're stuck with those updates 😥

1 hour ago, Bad_T said:

probably useless post on my part because you tried everything already and i read that you have reinstalled the full sim without success which is even more painful but, if you haven't done already, you should maybe try to delete only the fs-base folder that is in your official/steam folder.

I also have the steam version and had the exact same problem that you describe with the WU7 update and that's the only thing that fixed it for me. Make also sure to disable your anti-virus / anti-malware / anti-ransomware software for a few minutes during the update to make sure it's not interfering (avast was an issue for some users, although it was not for me).

good luck, it's a pain when you're stuck with those updates 😥

Yeah, I thought about this too and tried that very option but I am still having the same problem I am pretty sure that this is being caused by the fact that there doesn't seem to be a fs-base-1.218.fspatch file (it has fs-base-1.217. and 219 but no 218)

EDIT: just in case anyone suggests it, I should also point out that I tried  stopping the download and deleting fs-base-1.219.fspatch.001 to try and force it to find a 218 file but no luck there either.

Edited by stewartforgie

3 hours ago, stewartforgie said:

Yeah, I thought about this too and tried that very option but I am still having the same problem I am pretty sure that this is being caused by the fact that there doesn't seem to be a fs-base-1.218.fspatch file (it has fs-base-1.217. and 219 but no 218)

EDIT: just in case anyone suggests it, I should also point out that I tried  stopping the download and deleting fs-base-1.219.fspatch.001 to try and force it to find a 218 file but no luck there either.

At this point, if you have tried everything, I think you should get help from the MSFS support team.  I believe you need to file a Zendesk report to get help from an official MSFS support staff.

There is also an MSFS Discord channel that you can try.  And there is the official MSFS forums of course.