Sign in to follow this  
bbuckley

Graphic Memory crashes v5.3 HF2

Ever since v5.3 I've had VRAM issues that crash the GPU and P3d. My system specs are below but the GPU is a 1080ti. I didn't have an issue before v5.3. The most notorious location is SOCAL north of LAX like from KONT to KSBA. I do have ORBX SOCAL and KBUR and KSBA. I have even lowered some of my settings. Here's a folder with screenshots of my settings and the error msg.

Is there something about v5.3 that is increasing dedicated graphics memory demand or is 1080ti just not up to it anymore?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Bruce

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

3 hours ago, bbuckley said:

Ever since v5.3 I've had VRAM issues that crash the GPU and P3d. My system specs are below but the GPU is a 1080ti. I didn't have an issue before v5.3. The most notorious location is SOCAL north of LAX like from KONT to KSBA. I do have ORBX SOCAL and KBUR and KSBA. I have even lowered some of my settings. Here's a folder with screenshots of my settings and the error msg.

Is there something about v5.3 that is increasing dedicated graphics memory demand or is 1080ti just not up to it anymore?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Bruce

I would try setting your Texture res to 2048, detail radius from Max to high/medium, and turn on dynamic texture streaming. Also, Orbx KBUR should have some settings to control VRAM (e.g. PBR on/off).

• Like 1

Thanks. I'll try these and let you know.

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Do you ever get this error?  DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ?

It seems like the 1080Ti has issues with P3D memory management.  I have the device hung error and it has made P3D almost unusable.  Part of the solution was going back to an older driver, there is a thread on these forums about this error and it may help with your issue.  (apologies for the bold font, I copy/pasted the error from a web page and cannot seem to change it).

• Like 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I seem to recall seeing that msg at some point but not recently associated with my current memory issue. 

I also have a 1080ti and don't have any memory management issues. I did the registry mod and in  NCP changed the Power Management Mode settings to Prefer Maximum Performance and haven't had that error for over 15 months now.

Edited by pgde
  • Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

If you use a weather addon for cloud textures etc. it could be maybe worth paring the settings for them down. I had VRAM issues with Rex Sky Force, which could sometimes spike my VRAM usage enough to cause a CTD.

I'd also recommend the steps given above by @Chapstick, although Dynamic Texture Streaming in my experience results in unacceptably low texture loading, so I have it disabled, but if required it does take a good chunk off VRAM usage, so maybe you can have it enabled for flights in known problem areas.

For me personally with 8GB VRAM lowered texture resolution and reduced level of detail radius is largely enough to keep VRAM usage in check. The exception for me is certain airports like LatinVFR KMIA, with that airport the Maddog X is a no-go for example as the usage just gets too high. That's from an AMD Perspective though (and with different crashing behavour, P3D doesn't usually have the courtesy to message me when it runs out of VRAM), so will defer on issues related to NVIDIA cards.

• Like 1

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

Returning to the Vram issue, I also have a 1080Ti with most settings to the right in V5. The overwhelming number airports have no Vram problem, but to my knowledge FT KLAS, FT EHAM, JS EDDL, JS EBBR and lately ORBX LKPR do cause issues.

• Like 1

Thanks all! @Chapstick  Just one test flight but texture res to 2048 and dynamic texture t loading kept it below 8GB on my 1080ti.  It seemed to me I missed the hi res textures so I tried 4096 with dynamic loading and that seemed to keep everything below 9.1GB so no issues. After the flight I also turned down the detail radius to Ultra from Max.

As @SimeonWilbury suggested, I probably only need dynamic loading in that SoCal corridor above LA.

I forgot to mention I use adaptive half refresh rate vsync in NCP on my 60Hz monitor so FPS is generally limited to 30 which I find great. 

Thanks for the help all.

Bruce