Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Brilliant MSFS performance

Thanks. First I updated to a beta version but I backed it up to the last stable bios. Still no difference. For some reason I can’t maintain a connection so it takes me offline  and it keeps freezing on me.  

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

ENGLISH, please!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

On 12/7/2022 at 9:16 PM, sfgiants13 said:

I recently completed my build with a 5800x3d and a 4090 and while it looks great I struggle maintaining even 30FPS at heavier addon airports and planes like PMDG.  I've dropped the more CPU intensive settings a bit like terrain LOD but it still struggle at the bigger airports.  If I can maintain 30FPS with vsync on it's very smooth but otherwise I get stutters.  FSLTL seems to give me a big hit.  In dev mode it says I'm main thread limited.  Is this just a case of my settings being too high?  I feel like my performance should be better with this kind of hardware.  I've tried toying with the settings and while frame generation helps with FPS it's not compatible with vsync so I get stutters.

Hi, did you happen to understand what the problem is? Perhaps the x3d is too small a CPU to be associated with an rtx 4090? And so when you are in very complex and crowded scenarios the CPU doesn't hold? Did you solve it somehow? Thank you

7 hours ago, Stefano88 said:

Hi, did you happen to understand what the problem is? Perhaps the x3d is too small a CPU to be associated with an rtx 4090? And so when you are in very complex and crowded scenarios the CPU doesn't hold? Did you solve it somehow? Thank you

Not yet. I have about 8 tabs open when k get around to it to test things out. The 4090 is a beast but you can’t get much better than a 5800x3d for MSFS. I’ll keep trying. 

6 hours ago, sfgiants13 said:

Not yet. I have about 8 tabs open when k get around to it to test things out. The 4090 is a beast but you can’t get much better than a 5800x3d for MSFS. I’ll keep trying. 

I get it, that's fine. One question, exactly what settings do you use msfs with? All about ultra? Where do you find the most slowdowns?

10 hours ago, Stefano88 said:

I get it, that's fine. One question, exactly what settings do you use msfs with? All about ultra? Where do you find the most slowdowns?

Most on ultra with a few things down.  Terrain LOD is down to 200 and object LOD 100.  Final approach I get stutters no matter what but I can eliminate most if I vsync and keep it locked to 30FPS.  i may have to disable FSLTL AI traffic for now because it wrecks my system.

edit: I deleted rolling cache and that seems to have helped immensely.  Not perfect but noticeably better.  Even without vsync it runs fairly smooth.  No idea why that did it but I read multiple threads saying to try it and sure enough it helped.

Edited by sfgiants13

On 12/17/2022 at 6:36 PM, sfgiants13 said:

Most on ultra with a few things down.  Terrain LOD is down to 200 and object LOD 100.  Final approach I get stutters no matter what but I can eliminate most if I vsync and keep it locked to 30FPS.  i may have to disable FSLTL AI traffic for now because it wrecks my system.

edit: I deleted rolling cache and that seems to have helped immensely.  Not perfect but noticeably better.  Even without vsync it runs fairly smooth.  No idea why that did it but I read multiple threads saying to try it and sure enough it helped.

Hello, I understand. One question, do you mean that you have deleted the Rolling cache, that is everything saved up to now? But you have always enabled the Rolling cache right?

5 minutes ago, Stefano88 said:

Hello, I understand. One question, do you mean that you have deleted the Rolling cache, that is everything saved up to now? But you have always enabled the Rolling cache right?

Yes I kept it enabled after I deleted doling cache. 

20 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

Yes I kept it enabled after I deleted doling cache. 

Ok thank you! Since my new PC will arrive in a few days, and I will be installing msfs for the first time, I'm trying as much as possible to understand how it works and what small problems I could take into account. Because I've seen that it's a bit different compared to fsx on which I've been flying for many years now... For example, now you tell me that having cleared the Rolling cache it's better. I still have some doubts about the cache, despite having read so many discussions! It annoys me to have manual caching, because it's annoying to have to load in advance where you want to fly or where you fly most often! I would like to understand, with a stable connection around 100mb, do you fly well even in places where there are cities with photogrammetry? Is 100mb of internet connection enough? With this connection can I deactivate the manual cache and always fly with the Rolling cache activated?

6 hours ago, Stefano88 said:

With this connection can I deactivate the manual cache and always fly with the Rolling cache activated?

Yes, but I wouldn't bother with any cache. No apparent upside and can cause issues.

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

What a great cpu for msfs 2020 thanks to its l3 cache. It has nearly identical performance with 13900k at msfs 2020, good job Amd.

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

I recently upgraded my 5800x to the 5800x3d and all I can say is wow! I am consistently getting an average of 40 FPS, even in demanding environments like EGLL im getting in the 30s. While I am not overly obsessed with frame rates, the smoothness of the experience is undeniable. No micro-stutters to be found here. Overall, a great upgrade!

Edited by bhx22
  • Like 2

RYZEN 7 5800X3D EIGHT CORE 4.5GHZ,  CORSAIR CMK64GX4M2E3200C16 VENGEANCE LPX 64GB SAPPHIRE NITRO  AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (16368 MB) 

MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Samsung U32J59x (DisplayPort) [31.5" VA LCD] Seagate FireCuda 520 SSD ZP1000GM30002 (ITB)WDC WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0 (1TB)