Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Brilliant MSFS performance

2 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

So, the details for the new AMD CPUs have been out for a few days, and they all have less L3 cache than the 5800x3D.  I wonder if any of these new CPUs will unseat the 5800x3D as the best CPU for MSFS.  The new CPUs have much higher clocks, so perhaps that will drive some added performance and they are noted to have a 13% increase in IPC performance which is substantial.  If you spend $800 USD you can get a 7950 with 80MB of cache and high clocks (and of course the added IPC uplift), which will very likely unseat the 5800x3D but then it's a LOT more expensive and it consumes a ton of power which might be a challenge to cool.  It will be interesting to see if the similarly priced 7700x with much smaller L3 can compete with the 5800x3D.

but 7000 series AMD clock a lot higher. I want to see real world benchmark before making a judgement but if you have an AM4 board, the 5800X3D is a no brainer as an upgrade.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

17 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

So, the details for the new AMD CPUs have been out for a few days, and they all have less L3 cache than the 5800x3D.  I wonder if any of these new CPUs will unseat the 5800x3D as the best CPU for MSFS.  The new CPUs have much higher clocks, so perhaps that will drive some added performance and they are noted to have a 13% increase in IPC performance which is substantial.  If you spend $800 USD you can get a 7950 with 80MB of cache and high clocks (and of course the added IPC uplift), which will very likely unseat the 5800x3D but then it's a LOT more expensive and it consumes a ton of power which might be a challenge to cool.  It will be interesting to see if the similarly priced 7700x with much smaller L3 can compete with the 5800x3D.

For us, we better wait for the 7000 X3D cpus. They were on the roadmap showed by Lisa Su and also, there are rumors they will be lauched on the CES 2023, on january. 

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/88225/amds-new-zen-4-cpus-with-second-gen-3d-cache-teased-for-ces-2023/index.html

• Like 2

I'm holding out hope against hope that maybe they release a 5900x3d for AM4...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Aorus Master X570 / 5800x3d w/ Arctic Freezer ii 280 / Asus TUF 3090 w/ gigabyte BIOS / 2x16GB b-die @ 3600Mhz 

2 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

For us, we better wait for the 7000 X3D cpus. They were on the roadmap showed by Lisa Su and also, there are rumors they will be lauched on the CES 2023, on january. 

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/88225/amds-new-zen-4-cpus-with-second-gen-3d-cache-teased-for-ces-2023/index.html

I see... that makes sense. Those will likely be the best for MSFS.

1 minute ago, bbsmitz said:

I'm holding out hope against hope that maybe they release a 5900x3d for AM4...

Why not go for the 5800x3D?

14 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Why not go for the 5800x3D?

I'm waiting to see if any of the improvements ASOBO make insofar as multicore performance will pay off.  I have a 5950x which I'm about to put in which I think I prefer more for it's all around future proofing re: the number of cores and faster clock speed for other applications. But if there was 5900x3d with 12 cores I feel like I'd be okay taking the step down due to the MSFS boost.

Edited by bbsmitz
Clarity

Aorus Master X570 / 5800x3d w/ Arctic Freezer ii 280 / Asus TUF 3090 w/ gigabyte BIOS / 2x16GB b-die @ 3600Mhz 

1 hour ago, fogboundturtle said:

but 7000 series AMD clock a lot higher. I want to see real world benchmark before making a judgement but if you have an AM4 board, the 5800X3D is a no brainer as an upgrade.

I have actually just swapped by 5900x with a 5800x3d, after seeing the MSFS benchmarks and I have to say that I’m very impressed with the difference this made. It’s not just the fps, it’s also the overall smoothness that has improved. Would have never expected such a marked difference from a same-generation upgrade. Whatever the benchmarks for 7xxx show: my advise would be to wait for the 7xxx3d chips. MSFS loves cache!

• Like 3

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

1 hour ago, Greazer said:

Does Ryzen 7 5800X3D run any cooler than 5800X ?

58 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

No. A bit hotter

Yeah after swapping my OC 5800x for the 3D my temps are about the same. So non-OC… x3D is a bit hotter. 

1 hour ago, alepro21 said:

I have actually just swapped by 5900x with a 5800x3d, after seeing the MSFS benchmarks and I have to say that I’m very impressed with the difference this made. It’s not just the fps, it’s also the overall smoothness that has improved. Would have never expected such a marked difference from a same-generation upgrade. Whatever the benchmarks for 7xxx show: my advise would be to wait for the 7xxx3d chips. MSFS loves cache!

The only problem with that is it’s an all new build… CPU, ram, mobo, cooler (perhaps) and the investment is probably substantial compared to dropping a 5800x3D into your existing system. 

2 hours ago, bbsmitz said:

I'm waiting to see if any of the improvements ASOBO make insofar as multicore performance will pay off.  I have a 5950x which I'm about to put in which I think I prefer more for it's all around future proofing re: the number of cores and faster clock speed for other applications. But if there was 5900x3d with 12 cores I feel like I'd be okay taking the step down due to the MSFS boost.

The 5900 is handicapped by having cores on separate dies which can seriously affect core to core latencies. The 5800 has a single die of 8 cores. Even if Asobo pulls a rabbit out of a hat and gets multithreading humming in MSFS the 5800x3D will possibly outperform any 5900, x3D or otherwise. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris

Another interesting side bar, is that in my case, running a 5800x3D and 3090, I’m still CPU bound most of the time running 4K, ultra, 400 LOD, with typical mods. It means I’d get more out of a CPU upgrade than a Nvidia 4000 GPU. A GPU upgrade at my settings would be squandered… unless Asobo has a rabbit in their hat (which I doubt) 

Edited by Virtual-Chris

4 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

The 5900 is handicapped by having cores on separate dies which can seriously affect core to core latencies. The 5800 has a single die of 8 cores. Even if Asobo pulls a rabbit out of a hat and gets multithreading humming in MSFS the 5800x3D will possibly outperform any 5900, x3D or otherwise. 

Yeah, I think for me it's going to be a balancing act between having a lot of cores and flexibility for other tasks and MSFS performance.  But good point, I'd forgotten about the two dies on the 5900 and 5950.  We'll see; I've heard good things about the smoothness with this latest beta.

Edited by bbsmitz

39 minutes ago, bbsmitz said:

Yeah, I think for me it's going to be a balancing act between having a lot of cores and flexibility for other tasks and MSFS performance.  But good point, I'd forgotten about the two dies on the 5900 and 5950.  We'll see; I've heard good things about the smoothness with this latest beta.

Another interesting find earlier in this thread, is that the 5800x3D performs better in high load situations, like photogrammetry, with SMT multi-threading disabled… 8 physical cores rather than 16 logical cores. The theory being that fewer cores competing for the same cache space means more cache hits, less latency, and better FPS. It would seem the ultimate CPU for MSFS would probably be a high clock, quad core with huge cache. 🙂

I doubt DX12 is going to improve much. Let’s hope, but I have low expectations. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris

6 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

The 5900 is handicapped by having cores on separate dies which can seriously affect core to core latencies. 

Ture, but I have a 5900x and you won't ever feel this.