Sign in to follow this  
The Flight Level

MSFS and Real Life Detailed Comparison Video

Hi folks! My latest channel video upload is in the video section. Wanted to make sure the GA fans see this as I think you will find it very informative. It is a full flight from my home airport with a Burlington fly over including hi-mag images. Timestamps are in video description when viewing on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9io2JhYjMHc&t=3s

Blue skies!

• Like 6

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

appart of graphics and scenary what it jumps to me is that in real life the plane banks constantly.. and in MSFS it is steady completelly. Again the "rail" flight dynamics comes to me. Maybe in the simulator was flown in a nice weather, but would like ot see the same sensation in any simulator as in real life. Fight to be flying in the same course with the joystick.

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

Just now, Japo32 said:

appart of graphics and scenary what it jumps to me is that in real life the plane banks constantly.. and in MSFS it is steady completelly. Again the "rail" flight dynamics comes to me. Maybe in the simulator was flown in a nice weather, but would like ot see the same sensation in any simulator as in real life. Fight to be flying in the same course with the joystick.

Hi! Yes, the flight was extremely gusty in real life. I used calm weather for the Flight Sim because I need one of the flights smooth to make the video comparison watchable. I will do a windy scenario for the sim in the future when I get a smooth RW flight. But, I just might try your suggestion with the C310 flying at 130kts in windy conditions!

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

28 minutes ago, Doering said:

Hi folks! My latest channel video upload is in the video section. Wanted to make sure the GA fans see this as I think you will find it very informative. It is a full flight from my home airport with a Burlington fly over including hi-mag images. Timestamps are in video description when viewing on YouTube.

Blue skies!

Yep, watch any video like this and you will see the real aircraft constantly moving around where MSFS is relativly still.  This is why I am confused when I read threads about turbulence being overdone I  MSFS.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 minute ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Yep, watch any video like this and you will see the real aircraft constantly moving around where MSFS is relativly still.  This is why I am confused when I read threads about turbulence being overdone I  MSFS.

Absolutely! If the autopilot was not on in the sim, I would be getting the same type of turbulence. As mentioned, I kept the sim as smooth as possible just for the scenery comparison.

Great video thanks for sharing....

Does show that MSFS Still suffers from the overly bright cartoonish colors that FSX had...

Wish the colors were more muted and toned to a shade of brown and not that bright neon green that you never see in real life!

Chris Camp

46 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Great video thanks for sharing....

Does show that MSFS Still suffers from the overly bright cartoonish colors that FSX had...

Wish the colors were more muted and toned to a shade of brown and not that bright neon green that you never see in real life!

Have you turned ColourGrading off?  Also use an NVidia Freestyle filter to tone the colours down if you have an NVidia card.

Edited by MrBitstFlyer

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

3 hours ago, Doering said:

Blue skies!

From what I see in the video at time 07:00 windsock shows a left x-win of about 8 to 10 KTS and directional control during the t.o roll was very smooth and not wobbling left and right as MSFS airplanes do due to exaggerated psychics reaction to the winds and thermals.
As it broke ground it did lift the wing (even if it was an aileron correction applied) as you would expect from a small airplane, not stable.
Interesting, looking at the ND I don't see any wind data during t.o. roll. During climb out, it was obvious that thermals played a roll, but not as violent as is in MSFS, also we can notice at time 10:00 at 2700 ft wind 360/11 with normal light bouncing around for a small airplane. In your case, as you determined and act professionally, due to that turbulence as you mentioned "the wind gusts were relentless" (which is not every day) you slowed down to the appropriate speed.
That's where people, unfortunately, get the wrong impression that this is normal (every day) and how the airplanes should react like this under normal wx conditions.
It would help a lot if you had actual winds versus "it was so gusty" (any airmet or FD winds, date, time,. would be much easier to evaluate). 
Anyhow, thanks for the video.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

1 hour ago, LRBS said:
From what I see in the video at time 07:00 windsock shows a left x-win of about 8 to 10 KTS and directional control during the t.o roll was very smooth and not wobbling left and right as MSFS airplanes do due to exaggerated psychics reaction to the winds and thermals.
As it broke ground it did lift the wing (even if it was an aileron correction applied) as you would expect from a small airplane, not stable.
Interesting, looking at the ND I don't see any wind data during t.o. roll. During climb out, it was obvious that thermals played a roll, but not as violent as is in MSFS, also we can notice at time 10:00 at 2700 ft wind 360/11 with normal light bouncing around for a small airplane. In your case, as you determined and act professionally, due to that turbulence as you mentioned "the wind gusts were relentless" (which is not every day) you slowed down to the appropriate speed.
That's where people, unfortunately, get the wrong impression that this is normal (every day) and how the airplanes should react like this under normal wx conditions.
It would help a lot if you had actual winds versus "it was so gusty" (any airmet or FD winds, date, time,. would be much easier to evaluate). 
Anyhow, thanks for the video.

Thanks for your excellent observations! You are spot on re the takeoff roll. Very little side to side movement of the plane despite the crosswind in RL. I am taking note of your suggestion and will report actual winds when in cruise for future videos! Thanks again!

That was a great video! Thanks for sharing!