Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Are the MSFS servers down right now?

Problems here in Rome, Italy, as well. The game is complaining about my bandwidth (2.5 Gb/s optical to my home router).

A.

Edited by ADamiani

Color me stupid!

After going back to MSFS where I had no PG and no Bing Data a few hours ago and asking myself how is it that I can't access Bing when my internet is fine and most everybody says the MSFS servers are fine.

Of course, the hosts file!

You can't repair the hosts file without administrative rights. e.g. type notepad in windows search window and right click and choose run notepad as administrator. 

And then remove the 2 lines not beginning with # at the bottom of the file (the pesky Google maps app for MSFS puts those lines there).

It shuts off your access to Bing data and turns on access to Google data. That was my only issue. No default hosts, no Bing data.

Simple once I remembered how that google maps app changes a windows system file (namely the hosts file). (That's why it requires administrative rights, its a windows system file). 

MSFS cured now, is working fine.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

8 hours ago, Fielder said:

Color me stupid!

After going back to MSFS where I had no PG and no Bing Data a few hours ago and asking myself how is it that I can't access Bing when my internet is fine and most everybody says the MSFS servers are fine.

Of course, the hosts file!

You can't repair the hosts file without administrative rights. e.g. type notepad in windows search window and right click and choose run notepad as administrator. 

And then remove the 2 lines not beginning with # at the bottom of the file (the pesky Google maps app for MSFS puts those lines there).

It shuts off your access to Bing data and turns on access to Google data. That was my only issue. No default hosts, no Bing data.

Simple once I remembered how that google maps app changes a windows system file (namely the hosts file). (That's why it requires administrative rights, its a windows system file). 

MSFS cured now, is working fine.

Hey Fielder, where is this hosts file you’re talking about?

Curious why no one else has commented on this with the GM mod getting some attention lately. I had no idea the mod would make changes to a windows system file.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

38 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Hey Fielder, where is this hosts file you’re talking about?

Curious why no one else has commented on this with the GM mod getting some attention lately. I had no idea the mod would make changes to a windows system file.

Its in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

I believe the mod just leaves that change there if you don't stop it when you stop flying. I stopped mine and there is no change in that file.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White