Sign in to follow this  
Skyseek

MU 2 Rudder Calibration

I have tried adjusting the CH products pedals but rudder control seems to be erratic. Is there any settings in the aircraft config file itself that would help this particular issue or can someone give me advice on exactly where to set the null zones In the rudder configuration?

it just seems to be erratic, overcorrecting etc.

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Skyseek said:

I have tried adjusting the CH products pedals but rudder control seems to be erratic. Is there any settings in the aircraft config file itself that would help this particular issue or can someone give me advice on exactly where to set the null zones In the rudder configuration?

it just seems to be erratic, overcorrecting etc.

Thanks!

Hello Skyseek,

It is not clear to me if you are talking about steering on the ground with the rudder pedals, or use of the rudder in flight. However, in the aircraft.cfg file under [flight_tuning] you will find these two rudder settings that you can try changing to see if it helps your situation.

rudder_effectiveness=1.0
rudder_trim_effectiveness=1.0

The first setting above, rudder_effectiveness, is probably the one you want to experiment with. You can comment out a current value with //. So, for example, to change the rudder_effectiveness to a lower value you might try something like this:

rudder_effectiveness=0.75  //1.0

Of course, it is always a good idea to make a backup copy of the aircraft.cfg file before making changes  -- just in case.

I can't recall if after making a change it is sufficient to just reload the aircraft, or if you need to restart the sim. I would try reloading the aircraft first, and if you don't see any difference you can then try restarting the sim.

You can also go into the Win10 (I assume) Control Panel and look at how the rudder pedals are working. To do this go to Control Panel>Devices and Printers, and then right click on the rudder pedals and then left click Game Controller Settings. Then left click on your rudder pedals in the list and then left click on Properties. You should then see something like this:

spacer.png

You can now see what is happening when you use the rudder pedals and brakes.

Al

Edited by ark

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the feedback!
My CH Products rudders are over 10 years old.  Do you think something is intermittently failing on the controls? Is there any way to test them?

I am thinking about replacing them.   Any suggestions?

I also have the CH Throttle.  I know you have to keep the throttle levers together, because that will cause the AC to veer a little. I wonder if there is any adjustments there that can be done?

Although in some of the other planes it seems to be OK. 

Thanks again!

Edited by Skyseek

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Skyseek said:

Is there any way to test them?

Did you look at the rudder pedals in the Win10 Control Panel as I suggested above? That would be one way to test them since you can see what is happening as you press each pedal. What did the test show?

Al

Edited by ark

I did check the rudder pedals via Windows 10 and everything looks good so I think we’ll have to make some adjustments to the MU2 config file.  Thank you so much for your help take care!

• Like 1

Just in case...

Have you checked your Steering Angle  (mine is 35 degrees)

[contact_points]
//GEAR
point.0 = 1,   12.70,  0.00,  -3.270,   1274, 0, 0.53,   35.0,   0.33, 2.50,  0.7,  12.6,  12.6,  0, 184.0, 184.0

The maximum angle (positive and negative) that a wheel can pivot (degrees).
When 180, the wheel is free ...

Gérard