Sign in to follow this  
hvw

What is happening with FlyByWire?

Dear Lord, FbW can't do anything right.

. It's not enough that they have released a study-level airliner at the cost to the community of exactly $0.

Nope, if they don't release an update every 5 minutes it's Fly by Wire was probablly annihilated by an Alien spaceship. 

As for the comments about "wonky Vnav" Seriously? It's an experimental feature, is labelled as such. They are working on it. 

If you want everything in working order, use the stable branch.  

• Like 1

It was the guy moaning that the pilot had an American accent that really done it for me. 

I would like to add some thoughts: 

Contrary to general simmer belief, IRL airliners sometimes, do not, or rather cannot always follow VNAV perfectly, more often than not, a pilot must intervene to some degree, even ever so slightly. There are variables in wind direction, and speed that cannot always be accounted for in the wind predictions data.

There have been times when in both the Fenix and FBW, I have not had to touch a thing, and other times, the exact opposite. Sometimes, all that is needed, is just a "nudge" on the speed brakes.

Experience in the sim as IRL, is helpful. I am not a real pilot, however I have developed a pretty good gut feeling at a glance of the ND, when and where to trust, that the bird will do it's thing if you let it. This comes from numerous times of resisting the urge to pop out of managed mode and, pull that speed brake handle, to see how far off the FBW's VNAV will be. It has surprised me many times. I urge folks here to try it. What have you got to lose?

Keep in mind, in many airports, the altitude restrictions turning into the final, sometimes put you into the ILS glideslope a bit too soon- sometimes before you've even grabbed the localizer, despite the fact that VNAV may have been following the STAR to a tee. I believe this is an issue with the glideslopes in the sim rather than say- AIRAC data from Navigraph or even the data provided by the sim itself. I always aim for about 200 to 500ft below a given indicated restriction, and pull out of managed mode if I have to. KSEA 16L R and C for example is notorious for this in the sim. That is no fault of ANY aircraft you may fly in the sim, let alone the FBW.  

If your STAR has you flying in the opposite direction parallel to the RWY, before you circle for your final, the ILS rose will give you a pretty good indication of what altitude you should be at, VS what the restriction tells you before the bird starts its turn for final. In this case the glideslope just might  be a tad aggressive- the restriction is likely correct, but it is the glideslope we need to follow nonetheless, so that is what we should aim for. That is just one tiny tiny VNAV aspect, and chances are experienced simmers/pilots are well out of VNAV before the final turn anyway.  I would hope inexperience is not the culprit for pinning this on FBW's VNAV, but who knows? 

As far as TOD and onward, I have found (just off the top of my head-in no way empirical) I would venture the VNAV takes me down to say 5000 ft or lower in accordance with restrictions, on the money 7 maybe 8 out 10 times. YMMV,  but I certainly cannot complain with that, especially if you factor in that FBW still have VNAV as a WIP.

Just some food for thought..... Cheers:)

Edited by vyper883
  • Like 2