Sign in to follow this  
hvw

What is happening with FlyByWire?

FBW is "almost there" in terms of features but there is still a lot of work left on refining some of them before it is the best add on for MSFS. It's close though. It finally has VNAV but it needs a lot of refining for example.

The physics on the cargo doors on the other hand is something I am missing from the best of the payware like the Fenix. It is amazing how they oscillate and feel heavy when they open or close. 

Edited by Makinen11

Just sell the 380 for 30€. That should motivate and reward your good work 

• Like 2

Lukas Dalton

5 hours ago, DaWu said:

Though donations through OpenCollective are entirely optional and we truly appreciate any help to keep the CDN services active to allow fast downloads, the add-ons we develop will never be made payware or donationware, staying true to the ideals we stand for.

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

Developer - FlyByWire Simulations

I think its also a case of all the "easier" stuff is done. Cockpit textures improved...sound improved. Some of the things left are probably more time consuming to implement and will take longer to get out there. When I look at the plane I don't see too many other areas to improve.

I'd love to come back flying the FBW, but honestly right now the gap to the Fenix is too big to justify splitting my time between the two. The biggest difference is really the MCDU for me, and maybe the exterior model.
I actually feel kind of bad, feels like dumping a girlfriend because I found someone better....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

I'd love to come back flying the FBW, but honestly right now the gap to the Fenix is too big to justify splitting my time between the two. The biggest difference is really the MCDU for me, and maybe the exterior model.
I actually feel kind of bad, feels like dumping a girlfriend because I found someone better....

Hopefully the new relationship doesn't break up soon and looking back you see how happy your ex is with your best friend. 😉

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

12 hours ago, sanh said:

I think its also a case of all the "easier" stuff is done. Cockpit textures improved...sound improved. Some of the things left are probably more time consuming to implement and will take longer to get out there. When I look at the plane I don't see too many other areas to improve.

It's really mostly this actually. It has been like that for a while.

At the start of the project we'd have more than 15-20 updates a day (!) because everything was missing. Adding things was done fast and without any kind of planning as well. People were excited and it was something new.

Now, pretty much every upcoming feature I can think of is a massive, intertwined project that requires a LOT of code to be written and a LOT of research to be done. cFMS v1 was in the works for about 10 months. cFMS v1.5 took about 6-7 months. cFMS v2 started about the same time as cFMS v1.5 but has had some big changes, meaning it is a bit out still. flyPadOS 3 took months to do as it was in large part a rewrite of the EFB. It also required a LOT of design work and prototyping things that never worked out.

The FWS is probably one of the most in-depth and complicated system we have set out to build, and its PR (the request to add its code) only recently (may) went into code review. That project was started in may of last year, meaning it has been in the works for more than a year now. But the depth of simulation on that thing and the future work it will unblock is just not something you can describe in one sentence.

The custom model is an equally massive undertaking, and as we learned with the 380, modeling is a much harder thing to master and manage than programming in this kind of project. It has picked up some pace again recently, but we are still far out.

The project is far from dead - the things coming are equally as good, if not better, but they will just take more time than the 5-line-of-code changes you could see 10 of during one day before.

Edited by holland786
  • Like 14

On 7/1/2022 at 12:31 PM, NG_Aviator said:

Any plans to make an EIS 1/CRT mod for the A320?  I would love that so much.

This will happen, but it isn't the highest of priorities. Probably after PW1100G and A321neo, but that itself is far out and I'd like to make clear that nothing at all has been firmly decided.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DaWu said:

In addition to sidnov's response, there is a legal reason for this. The A32NX code (and most of our code in general really) is licensed in a way that any distribution of its final product must also allow access to the source code in plain text. Since we will share quite a bit of code between the two aircraft (as they do IRL for some things like the backend FMS logic), it would mean that if it was payware we'd still need to make it open source - meaning anyone could compile their own version and distribute it for free, legally, since the license allows them. This protection is in place so a developer does not profit financially from our work without giving back to the open source version with their changes and modifications.

But before that is even an issue, as Sid said, our morals object to that.

Edited by holland786
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I miss now the more development in the Salty 747 till PMDG, and the A380.

Or to collaborate more in the Headwind A330 NEO.

Edited by peloto

Just release your vnav update so we have TD calculations and I'm back flying it. Kills immersion 100% for me.

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

47 minutes ago, VBHB said:

Just release your vnav update so we have TD calculations and I'm back flying it. Kills immersion 100% for me.

I'm confused as to why the impression is that we can "just release" things like that.

There is work involved, you know. Code to write.

Edited by holland786
  • Like 16
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, holland786 said:

I'm confused as to why the impression is that we can "just release" things like that.

There is work involved, you know. Code to write.

Just ignore the entitled. Not worth your time there are payware options at the moment  that they request. I'm confident FBW will get there soon.

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, VBHB said:

The experimental branch is pretty stable right now (for me at least) if you want it that badly.

43 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

The experimental branch is pretty stable right now (for me at least) if you want it that badly.

It is absolutely stable. It just doesn't work very well and usually top of descent is way off. But it definitely is stable.