Sign in to follow this  
Trovis

Saving settings to new PC

Hello guys. I bought a new PC and want to install MSFS with all the settings, keys and controls just as they are on the old pc. It's possible?

I performed this exact task about two weeks ago, and for me, the answer was yes and no. 

Control settings were all saved OK, as was the logbook, but settings such as graphics and sounds were not. However, before the changeover, I went through all of menus and recorded it all to my phone so that I could just replay the video to view all of the settings. Probably an easier way, but it worked for me and took about five minutes to get them all back (manually). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, garydpoole said:

I performed this exact task about two weeks ago, and for me, the answer was yes and no. 

Control settings were all saved OK, as was the logbook, but settings such as graphics and sounds were not. However, before the changeover, I went through all of menus and recorded it all to my phone so that I could just replay the video to view all of the settings. Probably an easier way, but it worked for me and took about five minutes to get them all back (manually). 

Thanks for your response!

Did you need to do something to get the control settings, or were they just there after reinstalling?
And what about camera settings?

I recommend that you back up the folder where all your airplane profiles are stored so that you can restore after a re-install.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

With the new PC, you will probably wind up cranking up your settings anyway. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 hours ago, CFIJose said:

I recommend that you back up the folder where all your airplane profiles are stored so that you can restore after a re-install.

But where is that folder located?

1 hour ago, Trovis said:

But where is that folder located?

Where did you install MSFS 2020?

15 minutes ago, CFIJose said:

Where did you install MSFS 2020?

I mean: there are thousands of folders inside MSFS folder. 😐

6 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

With the new PC, you will probably wind up cranking up your settings anyway. 

That's true. However, by doing so, you can gauge the performance of the new machine by using the existing settings as a control. 

8 hours ago, Trovis said:

Thanks for your response!

Did you need to do something to get the control settings, or were they just there after reinstalling?
And what about camera settings?

No, did nothing regarding control settings, they were indeed, 'just there' - surprisingly! 

All camera settings were manually backed up before the upgrade. 

However, one thing that you should bear in mind is that you can still run the sim on your old machine even after installing in your new one. So nothing is really lost. 

Control settings are saved in the cloud, so should always be restored perfectly when you move to a new device.

Graphics setting are saved in the UserCfg.opt file located in C:\Users\*name*\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

This file can be backed up and transferred to your new install, just be sure to edit the last line of that file :-   InstalledPackagesPath   to match the location of your new install before firing up the sim.

• Like 1

Controller profiles you made in options (for Steam edition flyers):

(the folders with numbers for names, can vary)

C:\Steam\userdata\94959374\1250410\remote

Flight Controller Profile files are in a folder below that folder and have names such as : inputprofile_0102968584

No .txt suffix but they are text files and can be seen/edited in notepad.

Edited by Fielder
  • Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

7 hours ago, Trovis said:

Take a minute or two to look through the MSFS AP folders. You will be pleasantly surprised of how small these folders are.

Also, they answer to your question has been revealed. If you are lucky, most of your settings will be saved by the server. But, you airplane cam settings will not be available unless your back up your airplane profiles located in your main AP folders.

Hi, I changed pc recently (gone from i7/7700 and 1080ti to a 3080 and AMD 5800 x3d) I was surprised to find my joystick assignments carried across to new install automically. As above, graphics settings didn't.

11 hours ago, Trovis said:

Look for the folder:

AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Right click on the folder and ZIP it to a safe location. Done!