Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

MSFS 2020 Download

21 hours ago, hychewright said:

Hi Fuzzy, I purchased MSFS 2020 from Steam, what I don't like about Steam is they install games on your main root drive (c: drive). MS gives you a choice of where you won't the game installed.

You can install a Steam game anywhere you want 😃

https://www.technipages.com/how-to-add-a-new-steam-library-folder

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

what I don't like about Steam is they install games on your main root drive (c: drive)

And @ThrottleUp is correct, yes you can install a Steam Game anywhere you want, and if it turns out you don't like where you put it - you can move it.

I have my main Steam install on "D:" and another location on "E:" for sim types of games (E: is a raid drive).

The prob I see is the majority typically go Next -> Next -> Next -> Finish (on installers), and the defaults are where things end up, I mean instructions ? manuals? "we don't need no stinking manuals..."

Cheers

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

16 hours ago, Rogen said:

The prob I see is the majority typically go Next -> Next -> Next -> Finish (on installers), and the defaults are where things end up,

This is true and its the case with all software. Its also the reason why friends and family members end up with junk on their computers as a lot of free software out there installs additional stuff. The checkboxes for these are tiny and therefore as you said the Next > Next has to be done slowly to uncheck all that.

Coming back to MSFS (and all other games) I encourage people to avoid the Windows C:\ drive and install on another drive. If thats not possible then install on C:\ but avoid the Program Files folders. 

@ThrottleUp good advice.

I see so called professionals who just follow the Next -> Next paradigm all the time and then complain when something is missing, especially those doing admin repackaging, which is often outsourced to some third world country where English is a third language because the bean counters think cheapest is always the best.

I once saw a ticket raised with an outsourced provider (3 x charactors, starts with an I ends with a M) do the rounds of no less than 6 I.T. (so called) engineers where each added their comment but didn't actually fix anything and the last one sent the ticket back marked as resolved. Then the merry go round started of again, opening another ticket, and so on and so forth, the issue was never actually resolved and the project fell by the wayside. And it wasn't even an actual issue, as all that needed to be performed was to allow the server to send SMTP email to their nominated internal SMTP server.

At one of my previous jobs I would build installers and gray out the Next button with liberal use of radio buttons thus yes / no etc. (without defaults) had to be chosen before you could move on. The whole idea was as you say... to slow the pace and reduce the need for support calls.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

On 8/12/2022 at 9:46 PM, Rogen said:

you can install a Steam Game anywhere you want, and if it turns out you don't like where you put it - you can move it.

In fairness to Microsoft, you can also move their games after installation, but in fact, their method is nowhere near as easy or straightforward as the Steam one.
I have an HDD with Steam, FSX-SE, Aerofly and  XPlane 11 on it.
To "reinstall" onto any PC, all that is needed is to run Steam.exe from the HDD and enter the account name, password and their security code.
It doesn't get much easier than that.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 10:57 AM, ThrottleUp said:

You can install a Steam game anywhere you want 😃

https://www.technipages.com/how-to-add-a-new-steam-library-folder

On 8/13/2022 at 7:56 AM, ThrottleUp said:

This is true and its the case with all software. Its also the reason why friends and family members end up with junk on their computers as a lot of free software out there installs additional stuff. The checkboxes for these are tiny and therefore as you said the Next > Next has to be done slowly to uncheck all that.

Coming back to MSFS (and all other games) I encourage people to avoid the Windows C:\ drive and install on another drive. If thats not possible then install on C:\ but avoid the Program Files folders. 

Hey, thanks for that ThrottleUp!

Regards

Lamar Wright

On 8/12/2022 at 3:46 PM, Rogen said:

And @ThrottleUp is correct, yes you can install a Steam Game anywhere you want, and if it turns out you don't like where you put it - you can move it.

I have my main Steam install on "D:" and another location on "E:" for sim types of games (E: is a raid drive).

The prob I see is the majority typically go Next -> Next -> Next -> Finish (on installers), and the defaults are where things end up, I mean instructions ? manuals? "we don't need no stinking manuals..."

Cheers

Thanks Rogen and I agree with you 100%!!

Regards

Lamar Wright

On 8/12/2022 at 1:57 AM, JacquesBrel said:

This is a utility from 2010. Letting you move your installed Steam games has been a feature of Steam for several years now. 

Thanks for that utility JacquesBrel, I have several games I need to move to another drive.

Regards

Lamar Wright

Just now, hychewright said:

Thanks for that utility JacquesBrel, I have several games I need to move to another drive.

I hopefully made it clear that you do not need to use this very outdated utility. Steam itself can move your game installations without the need of any utilities.

21 hours ago, Rogen said:

@ThrottleUp good advice.

I see so called professionals who just follow the Next -> Next paradigm all the time and then complain when something is missing, especially those doing admin repackaging, which is often outsourced to some third world country where English is a third language because the bean counters think cheapest is always the best.

I once saw a ticket raised with an outsourced provider (3 x charactors, starts with an I ends with a M) do the rounds of no less than 6 I.T. (so called) engineers where each added their comment but didn't actually fix anything and the last one sent the ticket back marked as resolved. Then the merry go round started of again, opening another ticket, and so on and so forth, the issue was never actually resolved and the project fell by the wayside. And it wasn't even an actual issue, as all that needed to be performed was to allow the server to send SMTP email to their nominated internal SMTP server.

At one of my previous jobs I would build installers and gray out the Next button with liberal use of radio buttons thus yes / no etc. (without defaults) had to be chosen before you could move on. The whole idea was as you say... to slow the pace and reduce the need for support calls.

Cheers

I see what you mean. I notice similar on the official Microsoft Help pages where people ask a question and the "expert" replies with what is glaringly a copy-paste from a bank of responses. They take no note of the users skill level and I have seen technical responses to uses who are struggling with basics moving stuff one folder to another and they are being told to call up Event Viewer and check running Services tab.  Not surprisingly it was another user who helped that guy.

12 hours ago, Reader said:

In fairness to Microsoft, you can also move their games after installation, but in fact, their method is nowhere near as easy or straightforward as the Steam one.

This is the thing - MS NEEDS to address stuff like this as its this kind of thing that causes huge user frustration. What is preventing them from totally rehauling their MS Store functionality? On the users owned games just let them pick the game and...

Right Click on game > Move >Select new Location > Press Move > Confirm

Done. They need to make it easy like Steam does. I have never bought and never will buy anything from MS Store. I find the whole thing clunky.

16 minutes ago, hychewright said:

Hey, thanks for that ThrottleUp!

No prob glad to help!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JacquesBrel said:

I hopefully made it clear that you do not need to use this very outdated utility. Steam itself can move your game installations without the need of any utilities.

Just found that out a few minutes ago about that Steam can move installations anywhere you want. Thanks again.

• Upvote 1

Regards

Lamar Wright

3 minutes ago, hychewright said:

Just found that out a few minutes ago about that Steam can move installations anywhere you want. Thanks again.

As a sidenote to that  - If you get a new computer you can also just remove the drive with all your Steam Games on it from the old machine and stick it into the new one.

Then install Steam and sign in. Designate the drive with the games on it as a Library location.

Now just press Download on a game and Steam will detect you already have the game installed and will go ahead with discovering & verifying it.

• Like 1

Well I had the super duper deluxe version on ms and I could not deal with the update bs...so guess what, I bought the standard edition on steam, since then no more problems, hassle free! Steam! 

BTW: I was asking Ms to give me a deluxe update or transfer my stuff...nada niente gar nix...I never again buy a Microsoft product again, except maybe a OS 😂

5 minutes ago, McDaniel said:

I never again buy a Microsoft product again, except maybe a OS 😂

Even that you can get free now as there is no restriction and no limit placed on downloading the Windows Image from the Microsoft site!

22 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

As a sidenote to that  - If you get a new computer you can also just remove the drive with all your Steam Games on it from the old machine and stick it into the new one.

Then install Steam and sign in. Designate the drive with the games on it as a Library location.

Now just press Download on a game and Steam will detect you already have the game installed and will go ahead with discovering & verifying it.

Fantastic ThrottleUp!!

• Like 1

Regards

Lamar Wright