Sign in to follow this  
Guest acebrando1

Bittorrent client affect FS2K4 performance?

Would d/l a torrent cause nasty stuttering in FS9? (It seems so!) If so what would be the main reason & are there any settings which can be altered either within FS9 or Utorrent?

Yes, any other open program will affect performance. It's hard to say, if this caused your stutters, but it definitely contributes negatively to it.Pat

And of course the masses of trojans and other deserved nasties located in almost everything you get through P2P (pirate to pirate) networks don't help much either.

I only use it to d/l Led Zeppelin live gigs from one site. So I think I'm fairly safe!

>And of course the masses of trojans and other deserved nasties located >in almost everything you get through P2P (pirate to pirate) networks >don't help much either.That is an overdone urban myth.Barry

>I only use it to d/l Led Zeppelin live gigs from one site. So>I think I'm fairly safe!I DO NOT USE IT FOR PIRACY! Downloading live gigs is perfectly legal. Selling them is NOT! AND Yes It is a myth that torrents are full of Virii & Trojans. Not got one yet but then I'd have to be a silly so & so not to be protected up to the hilt!

Guest lmoelleb

1) P2P is simply a less outdated way to transfer files - which smart people obviously take advantage of. If you have limited bandwidth and need to host a large file (for example Linux distros, your own movie like http://www.starwreck.com/ , or for example Flight Simulator scenery it's rather efficent and you would be stupid if you do not use it. Yes, someone use it for piracy but what has that to do with anything? Cars are also used for crimes - I have one. I have two computers and people also use computers for crimes. Oh man, just realized I have a knife in the kitchen so I'm a murderer now I guess?2) Please be careful mentioning what is legal or illegal on an international board. The law varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.3) Be careful about judging the legallity of torrents on your jurisdiction based on the legality of downloading as the whole point of P2P is that you are also uploading (yes, I know you do not HAVE to upload but the speed should suffer from it if you don't).

1) the very creation of those recordings is often in violation of IP rights. Most performers ban recording equipment (except licensed by them or their agents) from gigs.2) there IS a lot of infected stuff on bittorrent and other piracy networks. Sadly it's not enough to infect every single pirate and make their lifes misserable for all eternity.

Guest lmoelleb

"bittorrent and other piracy networks". Hmm, BitTorrent is CLEARLY not a network, but a protocol. What about "HTTP and other piracy networks"? :)It is WHAT you download that determines if it is piracy or not - not which protocol you used to download it. Just like it is WHAT you download and not HOW you download it that determines how big the risk is that trojans and the likes are included.Sorry to be a bit rude here, but it is annoying when peoples ignorance keeps file distribution in the dark ages preventing efficient distribution of freeware addons from our home servers.

Agreed 100%. Mr Wenting obviously has strong feelings toward pirates, and I would like to think that most people coming here feel the same, piracy is a bad thing for everyone.... But as others stated, not everyone is a pirate, P2P is actually used by legit companies. The original question had to do with the overhead of a bitorrent client, not a discussion on piracy.... my thoughts..John

Guest thedoggg

Aaaaargggggg, the ignorance. Its amazing how these media conglomerates have brainwashed people to the point that peer to peer and piracy are considered the same. Bittorent and other peer to peer technologies are just useful ways for files to be transferred. What files are transferred determines wether it is piracy or not. Many bands have benefited from peer to peer networks in getting their music out to the public. This is contrary to what the music companies would have you believe. It seems that the bands with the highest number of downloads also sells the most cds(see Radiohead). It gets the band exposure works a lot like radio in promoting their music. It is only the big name big money artists that have already made their mark and don't need any more exposure that may be hurt by music downloading. Wow I feel so sorry for them, because of music downloading they will make a few million less (even this has not really been proven). In fact the downward trend in music cd sales has more to do with custumers having other options for their entertainment dollar such as DVDs and video games. Plus the decline in the quality of the music(all those manufactured teen pop stars and possibly some but not all of the rap). Have people not noticed the success of DVDs despite all the movie downloading going on.My 2 cents, Carlos

I wouldn't worry too much about Jeroens (jwenting) views, its common knowledge that most of what he says is either uncalled for or wrong :)

Guest Eek

>1) the very creation of those recordings is often in>violation of IP rights. Most performers ban recording>equipment (except licensed by them or their agents) from>gigs.Performers don't ban anything. The bans are imposed by venues and record companies, who obviously, wish to bleed more revenues from the performers. It doesn't hurt the performers except, perhaps, being captured singing/playing off key, which fans forgive, anyway.>2) there IS a lot of infected stuff on bittorrent and other>piracy networks. Sadly it's not enough to infect every single>pirate and make their lifes misserable for all eternity.>Rubbish. Infected files happen to novice users. My computer is minimally "protected" with AVG and a router firewall. I never get anything more than a tracking cookie. The kids' computer, on the other hand, is "protected" to the hilt, yet they get infected with all sorts of stuff. You obviously have some sort of hate complex towards pirates. Did a guy with a patch over his eye run off with your wife, or something? Holy cow, lighten up. :~P

Guest jboweruk

The fact that the BBC has just recorded the very last Top of the Pops after 42 years has to say something about tastes in music etc. It just wasn't popular anymore, music is something you listen to in the background very much so now, as opposed to something you go out of your way to listen to. I know I just listen to mine when I'm flying, most of my CD's are backed up to MP3 files just for that purpose, and the fact I can load them onto my MP3 player as I wish, instead of having to listen to a set group of songs on CD.

>The fact that the BBC has just recorded the very last Top of>the Pops after 42 years has to say something about tastes in>music etc. It just wasn't popular anymore, music is something>you listen to in the background very much so now, as opposed>to something you go out of your way to listen to. I know I>just listen to mine when I'm flying, most of my CD's are>backed up to MP3 files just for that purpose, and the fact I>can load them onto my MP3 player as I wish, instead of having>to listen to a set group of songs on CD.TOTPs is finished! Really? It's been rumoured ever since I can remember, but I never thought I'd see the day.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)