Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

P3D running slow

I'm beginning to suspect my system is running slower than it should in P3D 4.5+. See my specs in my signature. 

I'm running Flysimware's Learjet, a couple of Orbx sceneries using their suggested settings, and Opus FSI. No anti-virus. Anyone else having similar specs and getting just 10-15 fps?

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Additionally, screenshots of your P3D Graphics/World/Lighting pages would be useful.  Are you using a 3rd party traffic addon package?  And are you overclocking the 8700K?

If you overload the GFX card (which is easy to do with P3D) it will drop frames.

Really need to know what settings are in use and if the CPU base speed is overclocked.

Otherwise check the CPU / GPU and computer for dust buildup, as impared cooling will prevent max speed and efficiency.

I did have a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and 1070Ti which would be the approx. equivalent to what you've got.

The 2700X was overclocked as was the 1070Ti and I also run a 30 Hz capable monitor for a 30 fps vsync.

With the right settings I could manage a 30 Hz vsync for a smooth 30 fps over most areas, complex aircraft and scenery with a lot of 3D objects would drop the rate down though.

This vid shows the frame rate I was achieving.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Overclocking a graphics card is generally a bad idea. Many cards are already overclocked by their OEM as a matter of routine, and I have seen many cases of CTDs caused by aggressive overclocking of graphics cards.

Overclocking the CPU is another matter, P3D is a CPU-hungry application.

Also, going to the Advanced Configuration section of L-M's board could provide some pointers.

Jorgen

2 hours ago, jorgensandersen said:

Overclocking a graphics card is generally a bad idea

Whilst it's true to an extent my 1070Ti was a good overclocker, I got 2 Ghz out of the GPU and a sigificant amount of RAM hz increase as well.

And all while being reliable, some cards just happen to do well in an overclock situation.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

That's why I wrote "generally". It seems to me - and this could be a figment of my imagination - that some OEMs overclock their cards aiming at the first-person-shooter games out there, and in some cases that has proven too much for P3D. But I readily admit that I have no facts to back this up, and can't name any specific OEMs here. And individual systems are so different, that a card that works fine in one system produces crashes in another.

Jorgen

Too true, my latest card has no manual overclock room, it's essentually as fast as it's going to be even though it's a Ti (3080).

GPU clock is @ 1980 Mhz and ram clock is @ 19004 Mhz, and I've trialed small clock increases to no avail.

Cheers

I'll try to answer all questions:

-Not overclocking CPU or GPU
-No add-on traffic
-No dust as I upgraded and cleaned, to 2-TB NVMe and 32 GB RAM a few months ago
-Start-up only contains Snag-it (screen capture app) and iTunesHelper.
-Windows Security not running
-I thought maybe the aircraft I'm using is just too demanding? (see below)
-P3D settings (see below)
-nVidia Inspector settings (see below)
-Lots of space in P3D folder on C:\P3D  NVMe drive (see below)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dspacer.png

spacer.png

C:\P3D ... drive where P3D is installed:
spacer.png

• Like 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

@Rogen,

Amazing videos. Like works of art. I'd like to do them too, and it makes me want to keep P3D. Will I be able to do them with my current PC specs (see my signature).

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Large quoted post with video removed.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Ok, I can see some inconsistancies there.

Do you have an app to monitor the GPU ?

I use GPU Tweek II as I have an ASUS GFX card, a monitoring application will let you see what config options are sucking up GPU power.

Back to the inconsistancies.

You've got VSync enabled in P3D yet have a frame rate set at 30 and also have vsync set in the NVidia Inspect set at 1/3 of the monitor Hz rate.

The way a VSync works is to lock the frame rate to the monitor hz, e.g. 60 hz monitor with vsync would be 60 FPS and a 30 hz monitor woul dbe 30 FPS.

Assuming you've a 60 hz monitor you'll get 20 fps max with 1/3 vsync (assuming it's working).

1/2 a 60 hz vsync will give you 30 fps which is a frame rate P3D can manage to keep up with in most situations.

In P3D set target frames to unlimited as you'll want as many as P3D can pump out, then let the vsync set the actual display rate.

With the use of the NV Inspector, I think you can cut back on some of those things.

e.g. sparse grid super sampling is hugely expensive on GPU power, esspecially for the monitor rex that you're running, just go to 2 x SSAA at the most and 2 to 4 SSAA in P3D.

You'll proably also have to drop back on the Autogen and scenery draw distance, medium would more suit the machine I'd say, although some of the others can go up.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

Amazing videos. Like works of art. I'd like to do them too, and it makes me want to keep P3D. Will I be able to do them with my current PC specs (see my signature).

Hey thanks, and yeah you should be able to manage making the same sort of vids, the hardware I made the vids on was the AMD equivalent of what you've got pretty much.

The key to great functionality and smooth video is to lock frames to 30 FPS and a Vsync will do that and make it very smooth plus it really helps if you've a 30Hz capable monitor.

Also helps if you can get a high base CPU overclock happening as P3D loves a high CPU base speed.

Here's a vid made with my first gen Ryzen CPU and 1070Ti

• AMD Ryzen 1700 O/C to 4.1 GHz
  • Nvidia GForce 1070Ti
  • X52 Pro HOTAS
  • Dell MultiSync MHL IPS monitor (U2417H - can sync down to 23 Hz)

It shows how to get a good 1/2 sync using RivaTuner Statistics Server and also the settings I have in P3D, hope it helps.

Cheers

• Like 1

I think your AA settings in NVI are what's killing your performance.  32xS and 4xSGSS is *extremely* aggressive AA for a 1070Ti.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, Bob Scott said:

I think your AA settings in NVI are what's killing your performance.  32xS and 4xSGSS is *extremely* aggressive AA for a 1070Ti.

What would you suggest?

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

I used 4x SGSS AA (via Nvidia Inspector) in FSX with a 1GB GTX 560Ti. It was the only way to get acceptable visual quality with minimal texture shimmering @ 1280x1024 resolution.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

6 hours ago, Rogen said:

The key to great functionality and smooth video is to lock frames to 30 FPS and a Vsync will do that and make it very smooth plus it really helps if you've a 30Hz capable monitor.

Your video (@the 5:40, 8:40 minute mark) reminds me of the videos of'Ateh1'. His FSX videos, way way back 11 years ago made me buy Orbx sceneries. What he was able to do with FSX with a *Windows XP* was unusual. Hard to believe now that it was 11 years ago. I think his videos aged very well.

eg.

This is my monitor. I don't think it can do 30Hz. Ironically, it can do 144Hz.  I don't know enough about my set-up to mess with them. For example, can I use 24Hz instead of 30Hz? Will it scr_ew up my monitor? Will it be better than the default?

Amazon.com: Dell Gaming S2716DGR 27.0" Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC : Electronics

spacer.png

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1