Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

P3D running slow

9 hours ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Yes, that's the one. You did set your FPS correctly. Now, make sure Monitor Technology (under Max Frame Rate) is set as G-sync (or something similar), target frame rate in P3D to Unlimited, and VSync in P3D to off. With G-Sync, you won't need all that.

RivaTuner Statistics Server. Another method for limiting FPS externally.

@Luis Hernandez How did you separate and format two separate quotes in Avsim?

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

A bit offtopic, but I'm sure it will help several people. Let me explain the two methods I use:

- One is simply, when writing my reply, select each time what I'm quoting and press "Quote selection".

- Another one is copying the quote, pasting it again (so that it appears twice in quotation format), and delete whatever I don't need to quote.

You can even quote different posts with the first method, and you can even mix&match.

-------

Back to topic:

16 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

Thank you. I'll test to see what kind of effect those changes will have on my system (old).

Please let us know how did you do with your changes.

13 hours ago, Rogen said:

Tomatoshade is a shader toolset where it either applies completely or not at all, and if you want to review changes a before and after process is what to use. i.e. screen pics or vid prior and same again post install.

Is it normal to expect longer loading times with TomatoShade? I tried it once in v4, but the loading times were so long that I removed it. I hope I did something wrong.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

33 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Is it normal to expect longer loading times with TomatoShade? I tried it once in v4, but the loading times were so long that I removed it. I hope I did something wrong.

I never had slow loading because of Tomato Shade. Maybe the source of your problem is the fact you have only 16 GB's of RAM memory? I had 32 GB's and loading times were fine, unless I was spawning at True Earth region. Also, guys, Tomato shade is a tool that changes only the sky, this does not increase the loading times. It increases them if your P3D is on HDD instead of SSD or you have too small RAM memory. Atm my rig has 128 GB's of RAM on 3000 speed and loading times are fast for me, nvm I use Tomato Shade and Reshade. 

45 minutes ago, PavlinS said:

Maybe the source of your problem is the fact you have only 16 GB's of RAM memory?

I don't think so. I don't use True Earth. Furthermore, I only have 2 payware airports; everything else is default or AFCAD. P3D is in a 1TB SATA III SSD, and the P3D folder and process are excluded from the AV. I'm reinstalling everything from scratch (not because of this issue but simply housekeeping). As soon as I'm done, I'll try again.

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

1 minute ago, Luis Hernandez said:

I don't think so. I don't use True Earth.

Dear. The loading times are severely affected from how much RAM memory you have. More RAM memory means faster loading. 

18 hours ago, Rogen said:

I do have the NVidia Inspector, but don't use SGSS as it is a huge GPU hog and requires a matched MSAA in P3D, I do have 2 x SS set though and 4 x SS in P3D.

This worked. No shimmering on my panel. And the same frame rate.  And by not using "4x Sparse Grid SuperSampling" I'm able to run MSFS with the above. But I'm getting the blurries in P3D.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

23 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

This worked. No shimmering on my panel. And the same frame rate.  And by not using "4x Sparse Grid SuperSampling" I'm able to run MSFS with the above. But I'm getting the blurries in P3D.

I think I improved the blurries by making sure that all the textures are at 4096 along with max_texture_load  = 4096 also. Any other suggestions most welcome.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

On 4/11/2023 at 1:49 PM, bofhlusr said:

You mentioned DSR. Are you referring to Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR | Technology | GeForce (nvidia.com))?   It is described as "4K Display on a 1080 Display". Would that work for my display which is 2560 x 1440?

I tried it anyway by installing GeForce Experience, but the program state that it only optimized for two programs it found in my system: MSFS and VLC.

Yep DSR or Dynamic Super Resolution is what I'm using.

I don't actually have GeForce Experience installed at all, DSR is enabled and configured in NCP, post enablement and configuration it is just a display mode of a size larger than the monitor's native to select.

I use it as a DSR mode configured to 2560 x 1440 for the majority of flying, also have a full 4k res config, monitor native for myself is 1920x1080.

A couple of pics @ 4k on 1920x1080

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

On 4/11/2023 at 9:22 PM, Luis Hernandez said:

Not that I see in my usage.

When a TomatoShade config ini is applied for the first time the shader cache will be deleted and there will be a delay while P3D rebuilds the cache.

It's much a the same as when the scenery index files are rebuilt.

Otherwise I've not noticed any delay otherwise.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

@Rogen Hello!

I have a 3440x1440 G-Sync monitor and usually use P3D in window mode. It does 100FPS but can go up to 120 by """overclocking"""...

Are these the right settings to get a smooth flight?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Juliet Alpha

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - MSFS

On 4/15/2023 at 2:33 AM, Rogen said:

I use it as a DSR mode configured to 2560 x 1440 for the majority of flying, also have a full 4k res config, monitor native for myself is 1920x1080.

What DSR mode do you use for 2560x1440? Legacy DSR or DLDSR (the new one)? I find that, using DLDSR in v5, I have to switch to Windowed mode and then back to Borderless mode if I want to use the whole screen.

Best regards,

On 7/18/2023 at 11:45 PM, Juliet Alpha said:

@Rogen Hello!

I have a 3440x1440 G-Sync monitor and usually use P3D in window mode. It does 100FPS but can go up to 120 by """overclocking"""...

Are these the right settings to get a smooth flight?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thank you for your help.

I don't have a GSync monitor myself, which makes it a bit hard to say what might be best for yourself but let's look at those settings of yours as a generic overview.

Also with a GTX1070, while it's a great GFX card (I had one myself up until last year), it will limit what is achievable as P3D can be quite the GPU hog.

I assume an actual GSync monitor will allow a vsync to occur at any refresh rate, at least down to 30 hz which appears to be case given the target of 60 FPS and half rate NVinspector config with frame rate of 30 FPS displayed in sim.

The NVidia inspector does allow the setting of a maximum frame rate, so you might try setting 30 FPS in the NVinspector, then unlimited in P3D (as unlimited will provide the best P3D FPS output) and then use the P3D vsync and triple buffer options instead of the NVinspector half rate vsync options (I'm assuming you've a separate Prepar3D NVInspector profile configured rather than using the global profile).

That way P3D will configure itself internaly for maximum FPS output yet be limitted by the vsync'd frame lock at 30 FPS.

You could also trial an NVinspector frame lock @ 60 FPS where all going well the GSync vsync will then occur @ 60 FPS and be even smoother, the caveat being P3D needs to be able to maintain 60 FPS.

Some form of GPU monitoring is a good idea as well, as when P3D consumes ~98+% of GPU the frame rate will drop and usually results in stutters, although the GSync monitor might help in this regard. I monitor my GPU to help determine which settings are viable for the chosen senario I'm currently flying.

Also do you have this entry in your P3D config ?

If not it's typically a good idea to place it.

[TERRAIN]

// P3D maintains a global terrain view for efficiency - if blurries start developing after a period of time or autogen stops loading trial setting to False.
UseGlobalTerrainView=False

Generally there is an amount of trial based testing to determine what will work best and I find it best to make a single settings change and restart P3D to trial the settings change plus I always fly the same senario when testing and I have a rainy day senario @ 11S which I know will max out the GPU (even my current 3080Ti)

Hope the above helps and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 3:58 AM, Luis Hernandez said:

What DSR mode do you use for 2560x1440? Legacy DSR or DLDSR (the new one)? I find that, using DLDSR in v5, I have to switch to Windowed mode and then back to Borderless mode if I want to use the whole screen.

Hi @Luis Hernandez,

I'm using the DL scaling option for 2560x1440 where the P3D internal screen resolution is set to 2560x1440.

Additionally I also run a scripted P3D startup where part of the scripting includes starting P3D with a screen mode of 2560x1440 @ 30 hz.

To start with the required screen resolution I use a tool named "Display Changer II" which is called via the scripted start of P3D.

https://12noon.com/?page_id=641

Display Changer is made by 12noon where the latest release "Display Changer X" is a payware item, that said the older releases still are available to download from the below URL.

https://12noon.com/files/

And there was a thread raised on AVSIM back in 2017, which incidently introduced myself to the utility.

Using a scripted P3D start my monitor switches from 1920x1080 @ 60 hz, to 2560x1440 @ 30 hz, and when I close P3D the monitor automatically switches back to 1920x1080 @ 60 hz.

I've also created a series of icons pre-configured to selected screen modes where I just click on the desired icon for the screen mode required.

Note changing resolutions like this tends to play havoc with icon positioning on the desktop, however I also run a nifty tool known as Fences.

Fences allows the creation of windows on the desktop into which you can drop your desktop icons and therefore keep them under control, it's a payware item but is cheap enough and is an item I recommend often.

https://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

I also use their Start11 menu for Windows.

Cheers

Edited by Rogen
add url
  • Like 1

@Rogen thank you!

The 1070 is in "urgent" need of replacement. Should be soon...

I did everything you suggested but for some reason NPI is not limiting the FPSs . It always goes over 30s.... But if I choose "30" in "Frame Rate Limiter v3" it actually gets blocked/locked. In this case I set vsync to ON.

spacer.png

Edited by Juliet Alpha
Nvidia Profile Inspector image

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - MSFS

Hi @Juliet Alpha

I did like the 1070 Ti, it was emminently overclockable where 2Ghz OC could be reliably achieved.

The 3080 Ti I have now is a great card, not at all overclockable though, the std. factory OC is as far as it will go... 🙁

Although with the 3080 Ti I can turn on most P3D settings to max (including those only adjustable within the p3d config file) an exception being vegetation shadows casting has to be disabled for some situations, probably a 4090 would be of enough power to run everything at max, noting my fps target is 30 via vsync.

I might also look at a GSync monitor for my next build but atm my 3 x 30hz capable Dells do the job.

Yes the v3 frame rate limiter was the one I was talking about, you should also see your frame rate limit reflected in the NVidia Control Panel.

And I see you're forcing a vsync via the NV Profile Inspector, is that actually working for you ? as it never did for myself.

I use the P3D internal vsync and triple buffering to achieve smoothness, but I'm not sure how that would work with a GSync based monitor.

Also I see the 4 x sparse grid AA, I did trial such in my 1070Ti but found it was more than the GFX card could handle, I hope you're having better luck with those values.

Cheers

• Like 1