Sign in to follow this  
houkai

PMDG flap problem

I bought pmdg737 and 777 recently.

When I retract flaps after take off, speed doesn't increace.

Then the nose of airplane is -3° and nearly 0FPM(level flight).

Flap indicator shows retract(0°) but the behavior is lake flaps down.

This phenomenon happens both 737 and 777.

I already tried reinstall PMDG,but it didn't change. What can I do for inprovement?

There could be a number of reasons for this:

• Have you properly set up your FMC? Including all your aircraft weights, if your speed is low on flap retraction you'll still struggle to climb.
  • What power setting are the engines at? If underpowered you will struggle to climb
  • Check your takeoff calculations - are you giving yourself enough performance for the conditions?
  • Is the gear up?
  • Altitude and airspeed at which this occurs? At higher altitudes the aircraft will struggle to both climb and put on airspeed, the same is the case in hot weather.

If you haven't already I would recommend following the Tutorial flight(s) in the manual, they are designed to help familiarise you with the aircraft.

Usually with these sorts of aircraft it's less often an issue with the flight dynamics and more with how the aircraft is configured

Hope this helps!

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

If you are using FSUIPC and have the flaps assigned to an axis, this can be caused either by
  1. Having assigned as 'Send to FS as normal axis' and also calibrating in  FSUIPC.
  2. Having assigned as 'Direct to FSUIPC calibration' and NOT calibrating in FSUIPC.
So, if using FSUIPC, try either with  'Direct to FSUIPC calibration' and calibrating in FSUIPC, or use 'Send to FS as normal axis' and do not calibrate (i.e. remove/delete any current flaps calibration).

John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

If you are using FSUIPC and have the flaps assigned to an axis,

John, why would you have the flaps assigned to an axis, at all?

TIA.

2 hours ago, SimeonWilbury said:

There could be a number of reasons for this:

• Have you properly set up your FMC? Including all your aircraft weights, if your speed is low on flap retraction you'll still struggle to climb.
  • What power setting are the engines at? If underpowered you will struggle to climb
  • Check your takeoff calculations - are you giving yourself enough performance for the conditions?
  • Is the gear up?
  • Altitude and airspeed at which this occurs? At higher altitudes the aircraft will struggle to both climb and put on airspeed, the same is the case in hot weather.

This is PMDG737.
When flaps are down,the nose of airplane is up and speed and altitude are increase.

Fuel is 33% and Payload is 50%.This situation is not too heavy to climb,I think.
I didn't set FMC in this movie but this situation didn't change when I set FMC correctly.

Do you have FSUIPC Installed by any chance?

I think John may well have been closer to the mark than I was, a quick google of this sort of issue seems to have linked it to some sort of issue with FSUIPC. Apparently deleting the FSUIPC.ini file (it should in the FSUIPC folder in the sim addons folder) and letting it rebuild helps.

This is an old post and relates to an older version of the PMDG 737, but I'm hoping it may be of a help:

Edited by SimeonWilbury
  • Like 1

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

You're right,FSUPIC was installed.

So I uninstalled it and tried to fly. Then I could fly properly.

I really appreciate your advice.Thank you very much!!

• Like 1

Glad it works for you now!

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

On 8/19/2022 at 2:48 PM, Sparkrite said:

John, why would you have the flaps assigned to an axis, at all?

As there are axis flaps controls provided, you can use them on an axis rather than just using flaps inc and dec. STOL aircraft, for example, use a linear axis for controlling flaps (although maybe not implemented in the FS - it depends...). Other aircraft can use an axis, usually (but not always) with detents for fixed flap positions. 

P.S. Sorry for the late reply!

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 3:35 PM, houkai said:

It must have not only been installed, but also configured (badlly) for use. You just need to configure/assign (and calibrate - or not, as the case may be) correctly for the PMDG.
Just installing FSUIPC will have no affect on the flaps - they need to be assigned.

But if you are not using it, why was it installed in the first place?

On 8/20/2022 at 8:35 AM, houkai said:

I really appreciate your advice.Thank you very much!!

I have used FSUIPC to set my flaps since the days of FSX without any issues.   Of all the 3rd party add-ons that I use, FSUIPC is the one that I've never had any issues with.  

For those who don't go back to the beginning of FSX.  It was almost unflyable until Pete (FSUIPC developer) fixed the issue.

Bode

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

On 8/26/2022 at 10:42 PM, John Dowson said:

But if you are not using it, why was it installed in the first place?

I was using it.  But I uninstalled to check this problem quickly. Of course I made backups of FSUPIC.

Now I set it and fly properly.

Thank you for your kind cooperation.