Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

AAA when there is no gasolene automobiles.

Today is officially announced, California is  banning selling or buying gasoline/diesel powered autos, starting in 2035. California is unique in that there are probably 5 million long distance commuters to work every day. An extensive freeway system of roads allow such to happen (its too expensive for the average citizen to buy a house near the big  cities where the jobs are. So they commute, long drives).

So there is a private service AAA who provide roadside assistance subscriptions, namely they carry small tanks of fuel for the thousands who run out of petrol every day, and portable batteries for 'jumping' dead starters.

By the way its no problem right now having enough AAA stations for petrol service because they are a private company. So any of the thousands of California service stations (commonly called  'gas stations') can be part of the AAA system by just having a portable gas tank and portable battery starter in the bed of a company pickup truck. So its trivial for a gas station to also provide emergency roadside assistance to drivers.

So, when everyone is using electric vehicles, can AAA trucks carry enough battery power to recharge the thousands who will run out of electricity every day? How easy to carry out enough electricity to say recharge 3 people on each trip of the AAA  pickup truck?

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

In 1935 I will be 102 years old and not care much.

But I would think AAA (I have been a member for over 30 years) would have heavy duty generators on their trucks to recharge a dead vehicle enough to get it to a charging station.  But anyone who ran out of charge on the way to work would probably earn a non-paid day off waiting for his automobile to charge at a charging station.

But by 2035 won't most folks outside of the service and retail industries be working out of their homes?

And how far advanced will electric cars be 15 years from now?  They may hold a week's worth of commuting power by then.

I take it owning a gasoline powered car will still be legal.  Will they be banned from driving on highways?  Will selling gasoline be banned?

Personally I choose not to worry about what going to happen next week let alone in 2035.

A small calculation correction here.  Since my birthday is in late December and if the ban goes into effect in January of 2035, I will have just turned 101.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

How easy to carry out enough electricity to say recharge 3 people on each trip of the AAA  pickup truck?

I can imagine a truck with charging capacity or towing ability but not both.

Dugald Walker

You know, we figured it out when we went from horses to vehicles powered by internal combustion engines. I’ll bet we’ll figure this out too. Especially if there’s money to be made.

• Like 1

NAX669.png

90% of Nevada and 15% of California is Federal government land (mostly Nationals Forrest in California's two huge mountain ranges, but also some BLM desert in Nevada). There are very few paved roads. Travel is often on jeep trails. 4WD is often necessary if you want to get back to civilization. Sports Utility Vehicles on every housing residential block in most California cities.

It's easy to carry spare gasoline in 5 gallon jerry cans. No big deal. And almost everyone who you will see driving along these trails will be carrying spare gas, should you need to buy some. Wallets filled with $10 dollar bills instead of credit cards is the normal.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I have enjoyed owning an EV. I only got rid of it when my eyes went on the blink 👀

George

Edited by GHD

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

Travel is often on jeep trails. 4WD is often necessary if you want to get back to civilization.

I once had a Suzuki Samurai when I was living in Colorado.  We went 4 wheeling quite a lot.  Today's battery capacity wouldn't support 4 wheeling.  If battery capacity doesn't improve and gasoline cars are outlawed 4 wheeling will a thing of the past.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.