Sign in to follow this  
Republic DC9

Trend Micro Blew Away My Gaming Services

I have Trend Micro virus protection and this AM it took it upon itself to delete gamingservices.exe which now means I can’t run MSFS.

When I try to reinstall Gaming Services it gets partway and then says an error has occured (I even tried a “Powershell” uninstall and install, no tips.

Any thoughts or anybody else have this happen to them?

I am not sure why people run these third part anti-virus software anymore. Just use the one found built in Windows 10 or 11. It is perfectly fine. Then this issue wont happen. 

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Republic DC9 said:

I have Trend Micro virus protection and this AM it took it upon itself to delete gamingservices.exe which now means I can’t run MSFS.

When I try to reinstall Gaming Services it gets partway and then says an error has occured (I even tried a “Powershell” uninstall and install, no tips.

Any thoughts or anybody else have this happen to them?

Is it somewhere in a Trend "quarantine" that you can restore?  It just blew it away unprompted and deleted it?  Wow, one more reason I don't put things like that on my computer, the cure can be worse than the "possible" disease!  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

You could try a system restore that was done before the AV deletion (System, Advanced system settings, System protection) see if there was a save point before this happened (you would lose updates etc). Just don't do this if you're using the SU10 or any MSFS beta unless you know the restore point is after you joined the beta program  or use a full backup recovery.

There's probably a better answer but it may be a start.

Edited by 40track

1 minute ago, 40track said:

There's probably a better answer but it may be a start.

The best answer is to uninstall horrible third party AV software then reinstall Gaming Services.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, The Moose said:

The best answer is to uninstall horrible third party AV software then reinstall Gaming Services.

Thanks everyone- that worked great!

Despite hours in front of a PC everyday working and flight simming I somehow didn’t know that Windows had built in virus protection.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I am not sure why people run these third part anti-virus software anymore. Just use the one found built in Windows 10 or 11. It is perfectly fine. Then this issue wont happen. 

100% agree. They cause more headaches than anything else.

• Like 2