Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Is back course capture still a problem

In FS9 the ILS would often capture the back course instead of the desired approach. I solved this by turning off the back course for the runway using AFCAD. Has this problem been solved in FSX?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

By default both FS9 and FSX set the Backcourse to "TRUE" for every ILS. You do not have to reset Backcouse to "FALSE" if the runway only has one ILS or if the runway has 2 ILS (one on each end) with different freq's.The only time a backcourse needs to be turned off is when a Runway has a ILS on each end that use the same frequency. This still applies to FSX.

Jim,Thanks. Is there a way to turn of the back course in FSX? AFCAD would do it for us in FS9 but how can it be done in FSX?

You can use FSX Planner which is still in public beta (fsdeveloper.com) if it exposes the backcourse attribute in its XML.Other then that, at present you will have to decompile the runway data with BglanaylzeX or SDE (what FSX Planner uses) and make a DeleteAll= statement for the runway records. Once you have the backcourse set to "FALSE" you put your new Airport Runways (bgl) at a higher priority so FSX reads your backcourse attribute and not the one in the root bgl file (simular to AFCAD). There are Utilities being designed at various stages (i.e. FSX Planner) that resemble AFCAD (ADE on FSdeveloper.com) and in time we will have the ability to make these changes from a CAD type graphical Grid design Utility that does not expose the XML.

Jim, Thanks. I'm afraid you have far surpassed my meager abilities with your detailed reply. Think I'll wait for the new programs.

I don't have any direct knowledge, but from cruising around the web as best I could, it seems like the modern localizer antennas do not radiate significantly on the backside (at least in the US). Earlier ones, (seems like the so-called FAA design) put out almost as much power to the back as the front. It seems like, maybe as a general case, the backcourse should not be shown as available but I don't know if this is correct or not.Also there is a requirement in the US, that when there are localizers on the same frequency on both ends of a runway, there is required to be an interlock switch to prevent simultaneous radiation, but FS doesn't model that.scott s..