Sign in to follow this  
Sims Smith

Laminar Research please pull the demo version out!

To be clear, I have no issue with paid Early Access Beta of X-Plane 12 as this is where the software industry is now for almost any "game/simulator".  We know it is a iterative work and many of the issues will be sorted out in the final release.

However which genius in LR came up with this crazy idea of releasing "DEMO Showoff" version to the public based on a early beta 1 code?  This is leaving a bad taste and impression and hurting long term success of the platform on what I was reading/seeing in the steams.

Why not wait for the free public demo to be based on a more mature build like RC1?  

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

I don't see your point. First of all, X-Plane always comes in "unlockable demo" form, so separating the demo from full version would involve quite a bit of effort from Laminar that is better spent on fixing bugs and second, the demo is perfect to gauge whether the investment ito the early access version is worth it in the first place.

If anything, every "early access" product, especially those on Steam, should have a mandatory demo version!

Edited by Bjoern
  • Upvote 4

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

What? This is XP12? Apart from bug fixes what can we expect with the final release?

• Like 1

I agree with Bjoern. Besides, anyone willing to see the potential behind X-Plane 12 and a true backer of the platform perfectly understands the limitations behind the current Early Access (which contrary to many here, I've been enjoying).

The only area where we can expect little improvement (that I know of) is in the scenery department. But we already knew that. If anything, the feedback they are getting should help in getting 1.0 ready in a much better shape. 

• Upvote 3

Enrique Vaamonde

5 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

X-Plane always comes in "unlockable demo" form, so separating the demo from full version would involve quite a bit of effort from Laminar that is better spent on fixing bugs...

It is simple. Remove the "Try the Free Demo" button from the website and don't promote it via marketing. 

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

ignore: addressed to the wrong person

Edited by evaamo

Enrique Vaamonde

What are you expecting to happen until final release? They are going to polish here and there and that's it. All the new stuff is in there already.

• Like 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

2 minutes ago, rka said:

What are you expecting to happen until final release? They are going to polish here and there and that's it. All the new stuff is in there already.

There are some new things that will make it into the final version. The custom FMGS for the A330 comes to mind. I understand there are more default art assets and some enhanced gateway airports that are not in this version. 

The rest, as you say, will be bugfixing and polishing. In the end, XP12 will be loved by many and hated by many. Nothing new under the flightsimmers sun.

What an angry and sour bunch we are 😁.

Enrique Vaamonde

5 minutes ago, evaamo said:

The custom FMGS for the A330 comes to mind.

Ah, that's nice. 

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

27 minutes ago, rka said:

And you know this, how?

i9 9900K at 4.9ghz, MSI RTX 3080, 32 G RAM, (3) 1TB SSD 

2 minutes ago, Poppingcork said:

And you know this, how?

WDYM? What is missing in your opinion?