Sign in to follow this  
AnkH

Optimal AMD settings

Hi all,

everything I read here is nVIDIA, nVIDIA driver, nVIDIA settings. I am aware that nVIDIA graphics card have been THE gold standard for ESP based flightsims over decades, but as of today, for MSFS, the AMD pendents are equally capable (sometimes even better), yet most stick to the nVIDIA cards. I did the switch and while I am perfectly happy with the performance, I definitively miss the discussions about optimal settings, maybe some tricks to gain some more FPS using specific AMD Adrenaline settings or even just sharing experience with the AMD custom colour profiles (comparable to the manual adjustments via GeForce Experience). 

Are really that few AMD users out there? Or is it due to the remarkable fact that, at least on my side, I did so far not have a single issue with my AMD card and MSFS (in DX11) and basically use the default driver settings with best results, so no tweaking at all necessary? 

One thing that now with the release of SU10 really bugs me is the greatly improved DX12 performance on my CPU limited setup (8700K with a 6900XT) I can simply not use due to this annoying ground tile bug when using DX12. Other than that, I could not be more happy with my AMD card.

However, not entirely happy with the colours and shades in the sim. For me, cloud shadows could be slightly darker and there is a thread about adjusted settings for nVIDIA cards and I wonder if anyone achieved something similar with an AMD card and if yes, by which adjustments? 

So, AMD users, come in and contribute in this thread. Lets use it as a platform to discuss optimal settings but also issues regarding AMD GPUs. Like so, we do not have to jump into the many nVIDIA threads and hope that some other AMD guys lurk around there to answer our questions...

Regards

Chris

• Like 4

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Indeed something still very common... nvidia all around with a lot of moaning about fancy four letter acronyms... amd more or less silence... I went away from intel and nvida already back in esp times and never regretted the move. And not bound to flight sim only here. But my rig is now getting a bit dated and for sure needs some update. The last two years I just watched the prices go berserk and honestly me was not willing nor could afford one of the newer fancy bigger cards.  Anyhow me still more than happy and can easily run the XPs and MSFS on quite high settings. P3D got deleted here and was moved to the dust hangar on my backup machine. I'm on a Ryzen 7 3700X and a Radeon RX 5700 XT. I honestly never tweaked a lot and just limit frames to keep the fans and temps low. But interested in more amd feedback and tipps and tricks for sure.

Cheers

T.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

Hi all,

everything I read here is nVIDIA, nVIDIA driver, nVIDIA settings. I am aware that nVIDIA graphics card have been THE gold standard for ESP based flightsims over decades, but as of today, for MSFS, the AMD pendents are equally capable (sometimes even better), yet most stick to the nVIDIA cards. I did the switch and while I am perfectly happy with the performance, I definitively miss the discussions about optimal settings, maybe some tricks to gain some more FPS using specific AMD Adrenaline settings or even just sharing experience with the AMD custom colour profiles (comparable to the manual adjustments via GeForce Experience). 

Are really that few AMD users out there? Or is it due to the remarkable fact that, at least on my side, I did so far not have a single issue with my AMD card and MSFS (in DX11) and basically use the default driver settings with best results, so no tweaking at all necessary? 

One thing that now with the release of SU10 really bugs me is the greatly improved DX12 performance on my CPU limited setup (8700K with a 6900XT) I can simply not use due to this annoying ground tile bug when using DX12. Other than that, I could not be more happy with my AMD card.

However, not entirely happy with the colours and shades in the sim. For me, cloud shadows could be slightly darker and there is a thread about adjusted settings for nVIDIA cards and I wonder if anyone achieved something similar with an AMD card and if yes, by which adjustments? 

So, AMD users, come in and contribute in this thread. Lets use it as a platform to discuss optimal settings but also issues regarding AMD GPUs. Like so, we do not have to jump into the many nVIDIA threads and hope that some other AMD guys lurk around there to answer our questions...

Regards

Chris

I just use the recommended settings from adrenaline. And use custom color and temp in adrenaline. But did not touch any color sliders.

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

The best AMD settings is to buy a Nvidia card /s 

80% of the market is Nvidia while AMD is only 20%. So it's normal that you will most NVidia post. To add to your injury, There is Nvidia specific features in MSFS.

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

IIRC Asobo said that FSR is planned for SU11, so some love for AMD might arrive in November.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

37 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

The best AMD settings is to buy a Nvidia card /s 

80% of the market is Nvidia while AMD is only 20%. So it's normal that you will most NVidia post. To add to your injury, There is Nvidia specific features in MSFS.

Yeah they are severly needed otherwise you poor nvidia guys would have no chance to keep pace behind AMD ootb 😉

Just kidding. Btw there are AMD specifc features in SU10 😉

Cheers

T.

2 minutes ago, Torsen said:

Yeah they are severly needed otherwise you poor nvidia guys would have no chance to keep pace behind AMD ootb 😉

Just kidding. Btw there are AMD specifc features in SU10 😉

Cheers

T.

just a note. All AMD features are open source and work on any GPU. Like that new FidelityFX Sharpening or even FSR. It's not limited to just AMD. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

5 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

just a note. All AMD features are open source and work on any GPU. Like that new FidelityFX Sharpening or even FSR. It's not limited to just AMD. 

Actually, FSR 2.x is optimized to run on RDNA-2 cards.  Nvidia/Intel/older AMD GPUs will be able to use it; but not as effectively.

• Upvote 1