Sign in to follow this  
ParkerBLT

What breaks with X-Plane 12?

I have a nicely working but rickety system running XP11 with several RealSim externals, Navigraph, and what I think was a bootlegged Garmin db. If I don’t fire it up for several weeks I am always afraid that some update or minor config issue will cause me grief. Is there any reason for me to hold off on upgrading to XP12?

Your information is a bit confusing, for this reason I can only recommend X-Plane 12 when the full version is ready.

But you always have the option to install the test version, then you can at least see if and how the vanilla version (i.e. without addons) runs on your rattling system.

Edited by Dirk.M

My Youtube Channel

Hardware Intel i5 12600k, Gigabyte Z690 UD, Gigabyte Nvidia 3070TI Gaming OC, Corsair Vegeance RGB 32GB Kit CL16

I have RSG G530/G430 working fine with XP12. The RSG website includes download for XP11/12 to remove bezels. 

what really bugs me is 30 fps with not very much scenery, somethings really broke in this sim

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UKflyer said:

what really bugs me is 30 fps with not very much scenery, somethings really broke in this sim

The sim is in early alpha. The stable version is XP 11.55; anyone who decides to test XP 12 should know that. They also have the opportunity to provide useful information back to Laminar Research, but saying something is "really broke" is not useful information and smacks at pandering to mob views.

People who carp on about how XP 12 is a "broke" sim are disingenuous to the extreme & wastes everyone's time. Worse, it's almost like there's an agenda?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, UKflyer said:

Yeah, before buying any version of XP12 I am going to need to see proof of DLSS implementation, multicore optimisations and better overall graphics including rendering of all cloud types. No exceptions.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pryoski said:

The sim is in early alpha. The stable version is XP 11.55; anyone who decides to test XP 12 should know that. They also have the opportunity to provide useful information back to Laminar Research, but saying something is "really broke" is not useful information and smacks at pandering to mob views.

People who carp on about how XP 12 is a "broke" sim are disingenuous to the extreme & wastes everyone's time. Worse, it's almost like there's an agenda?

Just an observation that at the moment the graphics engine is unable to cope with a complex plane (Zibo) with some fairly simple scenery objects. Don't shoot people down because they have an opinion.

It's not early alpha but beta version 5. Alpha version testing is performed by developers not it's customers.

Edited by UKflyer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Greazer said:

Yeah, before buying any version of XP12 I am going to need to see proof of DLSS implementation, multicore optimisations and better overall graphics including rendering of all cloud types. No exceptions.

@Greazer, I'm happy to see you considering XP12.

After having started to poll your youtube channel I found there some really interesting videos using XP11. I am sure you'd be able to do it even better wih the much more nice-looking weather in XP12 🙂

Regarding CPU optimization, I noticed that with eiher SMT ON (12 virtual cores in my Ryzen 5600x) orr SMT OFF, when using more complex aircraft like the Toliss A319 or the FF A320, all of the cores are filled with threads.

My GPU is the 3060Ti, of a "white brand", not that optimized regarding cooling, so, at the beginning I was listening to the fans spinning like mad each time I loaded XP12, and he GPU and CPU cores topping the Temperatures, but then I decided to pick MSI Afterburner and throttled the T and Power (used the clamp mode for both) to 65ºC, so, now both XP12 and even MFS run great, no performance degradation (haven't experienced with the new Game Ready driver for MFS SU10, and I hope it doesn't negatively impact XP12).

I think it is wise to wait, but as you surely know onl too well, XP is like a "good wine".... it takes it's tme to get into maturity 🙂

• Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

3 hours ago, UKflyer said:

Just an observation that at the moment the graphics engine is unable to cope with a complex plane (Zibo) with some fairly simple scenery objects.

I'm not sure pretending basically the very first line of the release notes doesn't exist then saying because that wasn't explained the entire early access program is pointless counts anything like "just an observation".

• Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

35 minutes ago, UKflyer said:

down to 20 fps

once again, as xplaned in the release notes.

Performance is well understood to not have been a priority so far, is being addressed, and is also a personal issue to your system (I never see below 50fps in 2D at max settings regardless of scenery, yes its well down from the 500fps I can get in XP11 bringing the space shuttle in to land - but its definitely not "broken", Laminar (and most 3rd part devs) definitely want/expect 60fps minimums by the time it is out of early access, and you probably still need to buy hardware capable of running it at that, or just turn your settings down to something your system can handle.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 2

AutoATC Developer

6 minutes ago, mSparks said:

once again, as xplaned in the release notes.

Performance is well understood to not have been a priority so far, is being addressed, and is also a personal issue to your system (I never see below 50fps in 2D at max settings regardless of scenery, yes its well down from the 500fps I can get in XP11 bringing the space shuttle in to land - but its definitely not "broken", Laminar (and most 3rd part devs) definitely want/expect 60fps minimums by the time it is out of early access, and you probably still need to buy hardware capable of running it at that, or just turn your settings down to something your system can handle.

ha it's been a problem since XP10, was hoping it was fixed in this version but nope

Just now, UKflyer said:

ha it's been a problem since XP10, was hoping it was fixed in this version but nope

I'm sure Laminar or one of their representitives will come round to your house and fix your setup for you for an appropriate fee.

It will never fix itself. And if you are trying to run XP12 on the same system you ran XP10 on, I think I can see the problem right there....

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

don't need anyone to fix my setup thanks, i've been building computers for god knows how long. upgraded last year 3080ti/11900k