Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

R.I.P. Loretta

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Although I have never been a fan of country music, Loretta Lynn was the rare exception. She will be sorely missed by millions of afficionados of her genre. RIP dear one, and thank you for your wonderful music!

• Like 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Classy Country Lady!  She will be sorely missed.

• Like 2

Those of my generation who I knew or knew of are going quickly.  Loretta was a little over a year older then me.  In a couple of months I'll hit 89.  The hard part of living so long is remembering those who didn't.  But in the case of Loretta we can still hear her.

Noel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

RIP Loretta .

I always associate the three ladies together , Patsy Cline , Loretta Lynn , and Dolly Parton , three great ladies.

I can picture Loretta and Patsy standing by the pearly gates catching up on years of conversation , that will go on forever .

Karol

• Upvote 1

On 10/6/2022 at 11:23 AM, COBS said:

RIP Loretta .

I always associate the three ladies together , Patsy Cline , Loretta Lynn , and Dolly Parton , three great ladies.

I can picture Loretta and Patsy standing by the pearly gates catching up on years of conversation , that will go on forever .

Karol

"Coal Miner's Daughter" was a pretty good period film,  it won an Oscar.   Sissy Spacek was excellent portraying Loretta,  Tommy Lee Jones as her husband Doolittle,  and Beverly DeAngelo as Patsy Cline.

• Like 1

Some interesting aspects .                                                                                                                                                                        Loretta Lynn — the “Coal Miner's Daughter” who died at 90 Tuesday — had a special bond with another female country legend: Patsy Cline. The two singers — who were born just five months apart in 1932 — forged a close friendship that was cut short by Cline's untimely death in a 1963 plane crash.

Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn, The pair have been close pals for decades while dominating the country music scene respectively.     Parton and Lynn, along with Tammy Wynette, released their Grammy-nominated hit “Silver Threads and Golden Needles” in 1993.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     "a 1963 plane crash" , its hard to comprehend that the crash was 59 years ago , my how time slips through our fingers.

Karol

Edited by COBS
  • Upvote 2

One cool thing I forgot to mention about Loretta,   every year during the first week of August she and her husband should would open up her ranch in Tennessee to host a week of amateur motocross racing with the "Loretta Lynn AMA Nationals".   It's known as one of the world's largest amateur motocross events, and it's more or less the last stop before these kids turn professional.   The first was held in 1982,  and it became a family event with more than 300 campsites now on her 6000 acre ranch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loretta_Lynn's_Amateur_Championship

Loretta Lynn's Amateur Championship

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Monster Energy AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship, formerly the Loretta Lynn's Amateur Championship, is held annually on Loretta Lynn's family ranch in Hurricane Mills, Tennessee. It is known as the world's largest amateur motocross race. It is the final stop for amateurs before they join the professional ranks.[1]

Suggested in the early 1980s by race promoter Dave Coombs as a national amateur race held away from the contestants "Home Ground", the first race was held in 1982. Loretta and her husband embraced the idea and today it's the premier race of the amateur Motocross world. The track is constructed annually at their 6,000 acres horse ranch and has room for 300 camp sites. It is an ideal spot to hold a family oriented Motocross racing event.[1]

Contestants must qualify through a series of events organized specifically for competing in one of the Amateur National Championship's 37 racing classes. Only the best 42 riders in each class get an invitation to compete. By design the six-day event is held the first week of August so that winners can try their hand at one of the 3 or 4 remaining events of the AMA outdoor Motocross season.[1]

The list of winners reads like the who's who of American motocross talent since the mid 1990s. Ricky Carmichael went pro in 1996 weeks after winning his final Loretta's title. James Stewart Jr. won seven amateur titles from 1998-01. Mike Alessi was the 2004 star. Ryan Villopoto won at Loretta's and turned pro in 2005. Ryan Dungey (2006), Eli Tomac, Jason Anderson, Cooper Webb and Adam Cianciarulo were all Loretta's champions.[1][2] Past Loretta Lynn's champions include Jeremy McGrath, Travis Pastrana and Kevin Windham.[3] One rider every year based on results and potential is voted the winner of the Nicky Hayden Award in motocross for the rider with the most potential.

In 2020, because of the COVID-19 outbreak, the event was a support event to the ensuing weeks where Rounds 1 and 2 of the AMA Motocross Championship were held. Zach Osborne won both meetings in the 450cc class in a short-lived career where he won the AMA national championship that season (he retired in 2021 because of injuries), while Dylan Ferrandis and Jeremy Martin split the two 250cc meetings.

I've ridden motorcross and road racing track days all my life,  and I have a soft spot for motorcycles and events like this.

Edited by Waldo Pepper