Sign in to follow this  
Taildragger

YAMM (library moving map) precisions ...

Hi there all,Some of you had some problems with the server side of the application.SimConnect.dll has to connect to FSX and it's sometimes tricky for people not used to : you should launch the YAMM server side which would read "WAIT" until FSX has been launched too and enabled connection ... but i rather prefer to launch FSX then launch the server side and then, load a saved flight. This helps FSX to yield a "load flight" event that wakes up the server side waiting for connection.When connection is enabled you should read an aircraft position line in the dialog window.Loading a previous flight is not manadatory ... what FSX really needs is a dialog and a "get back to flight" event : so, you can open the "save flight" dialog then cancel it directly.Hope this helps somehow for those of you having difficulties.BTW I posted a v 1.2 with a adjust mouse procedure allowing to correct offset yielded by non orthogonal maps.I enclosed sevaral maps in the zip but you can add many others editing the ini file ... airport charts can also help in large airports ...Cheers,laurentin order to work http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/174939.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Can this program be run on a secondary monitor with FSX in full screen mode(not networked) like FSMM was able to do in FS9, or does FSX have to be run in window mode?When you add additional maps, how do you set them up with the co-ordinates?Thanks Bill

Hi there,Yes, you should be able to display the moving map in a second monitor since YAMM is a stand alone program that can work either in a single PC (default IP 127.0.0.1). I haven't tried myself having a personal home LAN (two conneted pc) then anyone who achieve this can confirm here if he wishes. Adding new maps is quite simple : I've just posted two airport charts for LFPO and KSFO as an example (you can also download them here :http://balloon.flightsims.perso.cegetel.net/FSX_YAMM_1.html )For instance : create a new jpg (KSFO.jpg) then select two critical points (p1-p2) on the map and transform these two x,y points (origin in the upper left corner) in a DMS coordinates (no float for seconds).p1=-122

Hello,I have still a problem.The server is connected to FS.And I have the message, that he is sending.How can I display the map ?If I run the client program, I receive the message "can't connect to distant server"So, what is to be done ?Arry

Hi there,I suppose you have the server sending data like in the picture above ...the client must be set to link with the server in its "ini" file (first lines related to the IP address). Be sure to have those addresses correctly tuned for it may be kinda tricky there. Example of settings files for a LAN :=====================================let's say main PC IP is 10.52.110.6 and second PC IP is 10.52.110.15then the yamm_client_v-1.2.ini file reads like thisIP_ADDR_IN=10.52.110.15m_port_in=5800IP_ADDR_OUT=10.52.110.6m_port_out=6800If you(re in a single PC use IP 127.0.0.1 instead for both addressesHope this can help ...Regardslaurent

Might be a silly question, but from where might one obtain maps with Lat/Long info included, please? I've Googled with no success.To complicate matters, I've just installed 1.2, on a stand alone PC, and can't get the server to run. It opens a command prompt window, which then closes immediately, and the client can't find a server, unsurprisingly. I'm using Vista. FSX is running when I try to start the server. I've deleted the .ini as you suggest in the Read Me.Thanks. Looks really promising.

>Hi there,>>Yes, you should be able to display the moving map in a second>monitor since YAMM is a stand alone program that can work>either in a single PC (default IP 127.0.0.1). I haven't tried>myself having a personal home LAN (two conneted pc) then>anyone who achieve this can confirm here if he wishes. >>Adding new maps is quite simple : I've just posted two airport>charts for LFPO and KSFO as an example (you can also download>them here :>http://balloon.flightsims.perso.cegetel.net/FSX_YAMM_1.html )>>For instance : create a new jpg (KSFO.jpg) then select two>critical points (p1-p2) on the map and transform these two x,y>points (origin in the upper left corner) in a DMS coordinates>(no float for seconds).>>p1=-122

Hi,Well ... it's like a game party ! You might find them anywhere, in different formats (I've a huge collection of ECW ones from the Fly! serie but couldn't use them yet ... I'm working on ...) : some pilots have scanned some charts, maybe they can share them with you ; google earth allows to download all the USA sectional as a layer ( http://www.wikihow.com/Overlay-Sectional-A...in-Google-Earth ) ; in forums ... ; see the KSEA sectional from PC Pilot etc etc ...Some times, you don't either need lat/lot esplicitely ... just get the coord in FSX over a clear spot represented in your map ... etc ... etcBTW I'm also using Vista as a server, then it's not the OS the cumprit : try to fire up FSX first, then the server exe with no xml file (or tweak it by hand with an IP 127.0.0.1). After that, Close the flight and when prompted in the FSX dialog (do you really want ? ... etc) just cancel.Notice that in the ReadMe I should have suggested to delete the xml file associated to the server exe (ini_serv_file.xml).Hope it helps,Cheers,laurentNB : if you find interseting charts, please consider to share them with the rest of us (legals allowing, of course)

Hi Bill,DMS are degree-minute-seconds position ; X and Y can easily be retrieved from any paint-shop program and the like, where x,y are the relative position of the cursor over the picture you're displaying. Usually the upeer left corner is 0,0.The process deals with the calculation of the relative DMS related to the x,y you're pointing on the map picture.You can choose any intersection between lat lon line or an airport spot (position well known in databases or google) but also NDF or COMM are useful if you really know their DMS position.Don't worry about non orthogonal maps (error may occur because distances are not constant all over the picture, as I introduce the ability to correct the actual position on the fly with the mouse, so while flying just remember to click over the map every time you see a capital spot under the plane.Cheers,laurentBest regards,laurent

Laurent,Many thanks! The combination of deleting the ini_serv_file.xml and setting the IPs to 127.0.0.1 for a single PC did the trick for me.Nice piece of work!John

>Hi Bill,>>DMS are degree-minute-seconds position ; X and Y can easily be>retrieved from any paint-shop program and the like, where x,y>are the relative position of the cursor over the picture>you're displaying. Usually the upeer left corner is 0,0.>>The process deals with the calculation of the relative DMS>related to the x,y you're pointing on the map picture.>>You can choose any intersection between lat lon line or an>airport spot (position well known in databases or google) but>also NDF or COMM are useful if you really know their DMS>position.>>Don't worry about non orthogonal maps (error may occur because>distances are not constant all over the picture, as I>introduce the ability to correct the actual position on the>fly with the mouse, so while flying just remember to click>over the map every time you see a capital spot under the>plane.>>Cheers,>>laurent>>Best regards,>>laurentHi Laurent,I really love your program, and I have it running pretty well with the maps you provided. I am however having problems with maps that I add.The maps I add are showing up ok, but the start position of the aircraft is way off, and if I correct the position with the mouse on the fly, the position indicator doesn't keep pace with the aircraft.I used photoshop to get the X,Y co-ordinates and it just doesn't work out.To show you what I mean, opening your provided Los Angeles map in Photoshop with the following:[LOS ANGELES]file_name="Los_Angeles.jpg"image_size=3671,2729p1=-121

Hi there Bill,Happy to read you like the program : I also enjoy it and actually got so used to it when I'm flying vfr that I can't imagine have a fly without my position showing up on a map (my poor very low-end old second PC doing it nicely and saving a lot of fps on my main FS pc).I can help you that way :- picture coordinates are in pixels (just as the whole image is 3671 pixels width and 2729 pixels height- the 0.0 x,y starting position is on the upper left part of the picture - the p2 position is just standing on the rightmost threshold part of San Nicola isle runway wich is in pixel coodinates = 1342 width and 1997 heightInitially I was thinking you were in cm units rather than pixels but when I figured out the picture is 129.49 cm width and 96.26 cm height I'm pretty sure the x,y coordinates you gave couldn't be positioned on San Nicola ... so I can try a guess you aren't in pixel units but I don't know wich units you are using (I have not photoshop at hand right now).Hope this could help anyway : don't hesitate and shout again if I'm completely wrong. As a last resort I can calibrate the picture for you if you want ...All the best, laurentC

Hi Laurent,Thanks for your reply. It turned out that I was in something other than pixel units. I found a setting in photoshop where I could change it to pixels. Once I changed to pixels, and entered the new x,y co-ordinates, my own maps work well. This is a fantastic program!Thanks again for all your help.Bill