Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

Control Sensitivity Issues

So long time user of FSUIPC. When I recently moved to MSFS I bought AAO to run my controls through it. I have a TM HOTAS Warthog joystick and throttle. The trouble I am having is the elevator and aileron axis’s are so sensitive that I cannot control the plane with the joystick. All other assignments and axis’s work fine. I have the joystick set to a blank profile in MSFS. I’ve tried two different aircraft and get same results. Control of these two axis’s are just way too twitchy.  I use the elevator and aileron axis in the top axis dialogue box in AAO.

When I run this joystick through MSFS, I have zero issues with the elevator and ailerons and able to control the plane. I’ve tried setting curved values in AAO and they don’t help. Neither a large center dead zone or no dead zone at all makes a difference.

Am I missing something? I’ve watched your YouTube videos and read the manual but I’m really confused on why it works through MSFS but not through AAO? I’m crashing pretty soon right after takeoff. The controls work when doing a control check, they are just way too twitchy and sensitive.

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

5 minutes ago, B777ER said:

When I run this joystick through MSFS, I have zero issues with the elevator and ailerons and able to control the plane

So why in the world are you frustrating yourself trying to use in your case and this case an addon when it is not necessary?  Purchase justification? 

Just use what works and spend your time flying, not tweeking!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, B777ER said:

So long time user of FSUIPC. When I recently moved to MSFS I bought AAO to run my controls through it. I have a TM HOTAS Warthog joystick and throttle. The trouble I am having is the elevator and aileron axis’s are so sensitive that I cannot control the plane with the joystick. All other assignments and axis’s work fine. I have the joystick set to a blank profile in MSFS. I’ve tried two different aircraft and get same results. Control of these two axis’s are just way too twitchy.  I use the elevator and aileron axis in the top axis dialogue box in AAO.

When I run this joystick through MSFS, I have zero issues with the elevator and ailerons and able to control the plane. I’ve tried setting curved values in AAO and they don’t help. Neither a large center dead zone or no dead zone at all makes a difference.

Am I missing something? I’ve watched your YouTube videos and read the manual but I’m really confused on why it works through MSFS but not through AAO? I’m crashing pretty soon right after takeoff. The controls work when doing a control check, they are just way too twitchy and sensitive.

Strange. Can't say that I've heard that one before. 

The controls in MSFS and what AAO does over SimConnect are not related. It if perfectly normal that there are differences.

But why they would be overly sensitive is beyond me, sorry. What you describe sounds more like there is a "fight" going on.

• Is it only those two axis?
  • Is it happening with all aircraft?
  • Did you try different forms of assignment (=AXIS_ events instead of the axis variables)?
  • They cannot be assigned in AAO and in MSFS at the same time.
  • Could there be interference from another device? Go to "Hardware->Device Blacklist" and move every device into the list on the right with the "Ignore" button that isn't a game controller. That includes all mice, keyboards, HID devices etc. etc. And the StreamDeck, should it be in there. All this needs to be blacklisted, AAO communicates with those through other means.

When in doubt, please send an email with your proof of purchase to the support address (on the last page of the manual).

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

5 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

Strange. Can't say that I've heard that one before. 

The controls in MSFS and what AAO does over SimConnect are not related. It if perfectly normal that there are differences.

But why they would be overly sensitive is beyond me, sorry. What you describe sounds more like there is a "fight" going on.

• Is it only those two axis?
  • Is it happening with all aircraft?
  • Did you try different forms of assignment (=AXIS_ events instead of the axis variables)?
  • They cannot be assigned in AAO and in MSFS at the same time.
  • Could there be interference from another device? Go to "Hardware->Device Blacklist" and move every device into the list on the right with the "Ignore" button that isn't a game controller. That includes all mice, keyboards, HID devices etc. etc. And the StreamDeck, should it be in there. All this needs to be blacklisted, AAO communicates with those through other means.

When in doubt, please send an email with your proof of purchase to the support address (on the last page of the manual).

To answer your bullet points in order:

1. No, rudder as well. Have the MFG Crosswind v2.

2. Yes

3. No but thought about that late last night. Will try that on Friday morning when I can get back on the computer and will let you know here on findings. I read further in another post were you mentioned the EXT stuff is MSFS default axis so will try those in AAO.

4. Aware of that, had blank profiles with no assignments set up in MSFS when using AAO. Only set up assignments in MSFS only after the aforementioned issues.

5. I blacklisted everything not controller related but forgot to blacklist StreamDeck. Forgot that one and will do so on Friday morning.

I do not want my money back. Even if I cannot get it to work with AAO, I am still using it for Streamdeck and button assignments. I like it very much and am hoping I can get the axis assignments to work. I’ll circle back with you on Friday. Thank you

Eric 

Seeing the same problem as the OP
The graphic within AAO Assigned Axis shows smooth movement but that does not mirror the aircraft yoke. Currently testing with the default 152. Also happens with 2 other aircraft. Setting AXIS within AAO by using Select simulator axis is unusable.

FWIW I am trying Spad.Next demo and that has no problem setting the AXIS and works as expected.

As suggested to the OP I have been able to work around the issue by using your 3rd bullet point Select simulator event. Then choosing Aircraft Flight Control Events then AXIS Elevator Set. Move the joystick to set the axis. Repeat for rudder and ailerons. Just hit add and all three axis work as expected.

I was in an outside view when I tried to set Z axis for my throttle and when I clicked add it filipped the plane. Again using simulator event instead of simulator axis fixed the problem.

BTW no 3rd party product running. No fight controls configured in MSFS. Using a VKB Gladiator.

Perhaps this can help troubleshoot.

Cheers,

howevr

On 10/31/2022 at 4:05 AM, B777ER said:

Seeing the same problem as the OP

OK, I think that I found something. Not sure if this will cover your issue, but it is definitely a problem with the Add Axis dialog:

1. Symptom: after assigning Aileron, Elevator, Rudder, Tiller, Throttle, Propeller or Mixture from the "Select Simulator Axis" selection on the "Add Axis" dialog, you cannot make fine adjustments with your controller. The axis immediately slams to the extreme left/right/up/down/etc. values with the tiniest movement.

2. Cause: the problem here are incorrect Axis Min/Max values (-/+ 16384 instead of -/+ 1).

3. Solution 1.: when on the Add Axis dialog, move your controller first, then select the item from the "Select Simulator Axis" list.
3. Solution 2.: open the existing assignment by doubleclicking on it. Select a different item from the "Select Simulator Axis" list, then switch it back to the initial one. (for example when you open "Aileron", switch to "Elevator", then back to "Aileron")

In both cases Axis Min/Max should be adjusted automatically.

This will be fixed in the next version of AAO (2.61)

(I cannot see this behavior on my end because the potentiometers in some of my gear are so bad that there is always some movement. So I am applying solution 1 all the time without even knowing it)

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Excellent findings, will try this no later than Friday morning and let you know. I was for sure selecting the axis first and then was moving the controller so I was in fact doing it backwards to what is listed in Option 1. Hope to try tonight if I get time. Very keen to get this to work with AAO.

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

Very keen to get this to work with AAO.

Or just use the Axis Events instead of the Axis Variables. The Events are usually the MSFS default and have a greater chance of working out of the box, which is why I bundled them up in a separate group at the top of the Events treelist.

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

6 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

Or just use the Axis Events instead of the Axis Variables. The Events are usually the MSFS default and have a greater chance of working out of the box, which is why I bundled them up in a separate group at the top of the Events treelist.

Just was able to get home and try out Solution 1. It WORKS!! Thank you! Now smooth as butter on the controls! Time to start planning my RTW flight!

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

Thanks to both B777ER and Lorby for raising and resolving this issue so quickly.

Spad.Next is bye bye (far to costly to add streamdeck support). Although, I do like the button graphics when assigning events. Makes the selection process easy.

Cheers,

howevr