Sign in to follow this  
pgde

AMD 7900xt/xtx Announced

Will be interesting to see what the performance is. Pricing is $899 for the 7900xt and $999 for the xtx. See https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-rdna-3-and-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-xt-revealed

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

As I mentioned in another thread... 

It seems that AMD has announced something similar to DLSS3 but it won't be here until next year, and it remains to be seen what kind of support is required from games and how well that will take off. I think for flight simulation, DLSS3 seems to be a saviour for those moments when FPS goes down the toilet with study level airliners and demanding airport scenery packages so Nvidia seems to be the smart investment for now.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

The AMD is expected to only be about 10% slower than the 4090, so let's say 20% worst case is probably a good guess.
The problem is going to be availability, I expect it to be very difficult to get one until Mar-Apr 2023.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-s-RX-7900-XTX-is-10-slower-on-average-versus-RTX-4090-according-to-extrapolated-preliminary-graphs.666320.0.html

AMD's dreams have come true, the Nvidia connector fiasco will cause everyone to lump ever failed power supply or surge to post it onto Reddit claiming the connector melted. Not saying the connectors aren't melting, but my point is that everything will be lumped into this same problem for the next 12 months.

Given the lower pricing of the AMD, the performance being close, and the Nvidia connector fiasco (even after they send new equip out)...
Given all the above, AMD will have to REALLY screw this up not to take a serious amount of market share away.

And believe me, AMD is fully capable of really screwing this up...

DLSS is not actually induce any smoothing at the response level, but only at the output level. It causes a slight worsening at the response level. Hence, it may help slightly if you are seeing a smooth 20fps, but the game rarely will produce a smooth 20fps, when the FPS gets that low, the frames tend to get bouncy and jittery, which DLSS cannot fix.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I've got an XT that will be installed this week. The XT and XTX are scarce at the moment. The XT & XTX will fit in my current case where the 4080 will not. Also, the price difference is surprising and reviewed performance is close enough for me with the XTX & 4080. Haven't had a Radeon in 15+ years. The 7900 looks very good.

5 hours ago, dbw1 said:

I've got an XT that will be installed this week. The XT and XTX are scarce at the moment. The XT & XTX will fit in my current case where the 4080 will not. Also, the price difference is surprising and reviewed performance is close enough for me with the XTX & 4080. Haven't had a Radeon in 15+ years. The 7900 looks very good.

Good luck. I'm sure it will end up being a fine card. I needed a new high-end card because I wanted to get into VR, but rather than jumping straight in to a 4000 series RTX, waited for the AMD release. Unfortunately, it looked like they screwed the pooch on a few things and a 4090 popped up on my radar at MSRP, so my decision was made.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

15 hours ago, odourboy said:

Good luck. I'm sure it will end up being a fine card. I needed a new high-end card because I wanted to get into VR, but rather than jumping straight in to a 4000 series RTX, waited for the AMD release. Unfortunately, it looked like they screwed the pooch on a few things and a 4090 popped up on my radar at MSRP, so my decision was made.

All reports/reviews on the 4090 indicate it is a monster of a performance machine. Like the occasional 7900 has hotspots the 4090 apparently are occasionally melting cables but they both will get their issues sorted out. I was able to pick up the XT through a friend in the business at a good price and reviews indicate it is a fine performer though not in the 4090 league but then what is.... The one thing with both our cards is they will "future proof" us for many years. I bought my 2080 when if was relatively new and have close to 4 years out of it and I'm sure someone will want to buy it as on the whole it still does good. Hoping for the same useful life on the XT.