Sign in to follow this  
Jito13

FSX on dual OS

Hello everybody. I am fairly new to this.I have been reading enough on this great forum to start thinking about installing FSX. Currently I am still on FS9, but I have everything together (FSX,SP1,..).My question is: since I have a dual boot-system, I would like to know, if I can install FSX, say in XP and be able to run it from within VISTA. Or the other way around. If I install it on VISTA, can I run from XP? I post this question because I really don

Guest chinga

I too run dual boot and have tried running FSX from Vista when it was installed on XP....no go!!! I also tried the opposite and it was also a no go...you cant even access half the files on Vista from Xp let alone run an app. I finally gave in an installed FSX on both OS's. No problem activating FSX in Vista even though it was already activated on XP.Intel E6700 @ 3.8ghz2 gig Corsair Pc2-8500 @ 1066mhzEvga 680i nVidia motherboardEvga 7950GT 512 mb 158.27 Drivers2 74gig WD 10,000 rpm Raptors Raid 0Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower PsuAcer 22" Widescreen LCD

You need to install it twice, once on XP and again on Vista. The reason being that it uses registry entries and specific folders which are different in each OS. However, to save disk space, point the installer to the same root folder. In my case, Vista is on C:, XP is on D: and FSX is on F:. If you need to modify either the fsx.cfg or scenery.cfg you will need to make the same changes in both copies of these files.George

This approach leads me to a question. How would one remove FSX from both XP and Vista? The first de-install would remove all the files which may make the second de-install screw up. Any tried this?John

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

It's not a problem. Backup the FSX folder tree in XP, de-install in Vista, restore the backup in XP, de-install in XP.QED.

Thanks to everybody for the enlightment.I kind of suspected it would be like that.O well, since obviously there is no problem with activation, I will install it on both.Thanks againJ