Sign in to follow this  
flying_carpet

X-Plane 12: is anybody else excited about birdstrikes?

there used to be smashed windows on bird strikes and also deer running around the fields. I dont see them anymore....

AutoATC Developer

I'm definitely excited about bird strikes.  This looks very fascinating to me and appears to make the X-Plane flight model even more sophisticated. I did some asking around and from the responses I got, I don't think something like bird strikes has been done before in a home market flight simulator.

On 11/10/2022 at 1:33 AM, mSparks said:

there used to be smashed windows on bird strikes and also deer running around the fields. I dont see them anymore....

As I'm not using X-Plane this long - could you also collide with the deers?

Edited by flying_carpet
  • Upvote 1

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

1 minute ago, flying_carpet said:

The only thing you can collide with in XP is the ground. Trees, buildings, power lines, cars, deer - no collision detection.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

33 minutes ago, flying_carpet said:

No, it's one of those things I switched off and forgot about. Totally pointless, especially seeing deer running across a runway in the middle of the Australian outback etc...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, flying_carpet said:

could you also collide with the deers?

yes, apparently this is why they were disabled, they were overwhelming some airports. but omg they were cute, starting up in a field and having a random deer bounding through the tree line was heart warming, I miss them.

1 hour ago, flying_carpet said:

As I'm not using X-Plane this long

As a testament to just how long I've been using XP, apparently the smashed glass is still in.... but 2D views only.... (just triggered a bird strike in 2D and it didn't break the glass tho, just set engine 3 on fire).

These little but lovely details made it exciting to fire up XP, rare but "special" experiences. I'm pretty sad XP has gone all utilitarian 😪

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, rka said:

... Trees, ...

🥱.

36 minutes ago, tonywob said:

No, it's one of those things I switched off and forgot about. Totally pointless, especially seeing deer running across a runway in the middle of the Australian outback etc...

They should have used kangaroos instead in Australia 😃. 🐨 are too slow for running across runways 😄.

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

Not me, I love birds.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.