Sign in to follow this  
Jarnie

How to backup aircraft camers position settings

Is there a utility or method which will allow all the different aircraft camera.cfg files?

I tried to copy all the folders containing but MSFS will not allow that.

It seems every time there is an MSFS update all the camera.cfg files get reset.

John

Gigabyte Z390, I7 9700K, 16Gb, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor

thought  the  settings  are  in the  cloud  never had  to  change  my  views   when ever any  update?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

@Jarnie I moved two of your topics for MSFS support from Hangar Chat to this forum. Please use the appropriate forums for posting support topics.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 hours ago, Jarnie said:

It seems every time there is an MSFS update all the camera.cfg files get reset.

No update has done that for me!

I'm on Steam, although wouldn't have thought that should make a difference!

G

• Upvote 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

There are camera.cfg files in three locations:

1. The default cameras.cfg in your user files location (usually: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator).
  2. Each aircraft has its own default cameras.cfg, located in, for example: G:\FlightSim\Official\Steam\asobo-aircraft-a320-neo\SimObjects\AirPlanes\Asobo_A320_NEO
  3. Custom camera.cfg files located in your user files, for example: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_A320_NEO (each aircraft will have its own folder here).

Number 3 is the ones you want to backup, they do not get overwritten by an update. Number 2 gets overwritten by updates. Not sure about number 1 but back it up too.

Number 3 is also where you should be doing any customizations.

...jim

Edited by JimBrown

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

13 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

@cmpbellsjc @Jarnie I moved two of your topics for MSFS support from Hangar Chat to this forum. Please use the appropriate forums for posting support topics.

Sorry.  I didn't scroll far enough down the forums page to see that.

BTW what do I need to do to get emails advising that I have replies to read. I have 'notify me of replies' set ON and I have a correct email address but never get emails advising of replies.

Edited by Jarnie
add last sentence

John

2 hours ago, Jarnie said:

BTW what do I need to do to get emails advising that I have replies to read. I have 'notify me of replies' set ON and I have a correct email address but never get emails advising of replies.

Check your spam folder to see if they are there. Sometimes emails I get from here end up in that folder.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

7 hours ago, JimBrown said:

Custom camera.cfg files located in your user files, for example: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_A320_NEO (each aircraft will have its own folder here).

Thanks for that advice HOWEVER the folder C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator does not exist on my system. If have a folder named Microsoft in the Roaming folder but not Microsoft Flight Simulator. I am NOT using the steam version.

Searching for (say) \Asobo_A320_NEO on my C drive finds it at

C:\users\[username]\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SimObjects\Airplanes

And if I attempt to copy from there I get message 'Your organisation does not allow you tom place this file here" hence the reason for this thread.

John

9 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Check your spam folder to see if they are there.

NO emails from here in my spam folder. This is an ongoing problem for me ever since I joined Avsim some years ago. Just rechecked that my email address is correct in my 'account settings'.

John

54 minutes ago, Jarnie said:

C:\users\[username]\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SimObjects\Airplanes

I use FreeFileSync to backup the camera.cfg files in this directory.  If you're interested the link is https://freefilesync.org/

Also use FreeFileSync to backup other MSFS folders, too, and it's saved my butt a couple times now.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

39 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

I use FreeFileSync

Thanks.  I will download it and use.

John

12 hours ago, Jarnie said:

Thanks for that advice HOWEVER the folder C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator does not exist on my system. If have a folder named Microsoft in the Roaming folder but not Microsoft Flight Simulator. I am NOT using the steam version.

Searching for (say) \Asobo_A320_NEO on my C drive finds it at

And if I attempt to copy from there I get message 'Your organisation does not allow you tom place this file here" hence the reason for this thread.

Ah. You have the MS Store version. I have the Steam version and do not have that issue.

I think I've seen elsewhere that you should be able to zip up the contents of Airplanes folder to somewhere else, such as your desktop. But don't quote me on that. 😉

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

10 hours ago, JimBrown said:

I think I've seen elsewhere that you should be able to zip up the contents of Airplanes folder

I also tried that which results in the same problem.

HOWEVER FreeFileSynch works like a dream and thanks again to Twenty6

John