Sign in to follow this  
nojwod

Reverb G2 some basic tips.

The following tips are from my experience, they should be important for all users but I guess it depends on each users' setup.  I'm using the HP Reverb 2 and an11700K cpu and 3060ti card.  Anyway, here goes:

1.  Reduce the 2D window that sits on your desktop to the minimum size when entering VR.  If I leave mine even half screen I see a drop in frame rates/performance.

2. Do not have any other programs running if you have a browser window or mail open, close it down.  MSFS often runs the CPU close to it's limit, and even a few stray instructions form another app can tip it into a bottleneck situation, that like a traffic jam on a freeway, can take a long time to clear.

3.  Use DLSS, and the open XR toolkit, and have foveated rendering set to the most aggressive setting you can tolerate.

4.  If flying in dense scenery like major cities, reducing the resolution in the Open XR to say 95% can make quite a difference to performance without too much of a hit to the visuals.  It depends of course on how loaded the system is, but works for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nojwod said:

1.  Reduce the 2D window that sits on your desktop to the minimum size when entering VR.  If I leave mine even half screen I see a drop in frame rates/performance.

This shouldn't have any effect whatsoever, especially with your PC specs. I've done lots of benchmarking with various VR games and Sims and the "Mirror" on the desktop doesn't take any noticeable performance hit whatsoever and that's on a variety of PCs over the years.

It is after all merely a "copy" of what feed is sent to your headset, it's not rendering the view again so to speak.

However of course bugs/issues can happen and I wouldn't put it past Asobo to make a mess of this (!), so I'll investigate next time I fly and see if there's a noticeable difference 🙂

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Just now, MarcG said:

This shouldn't have any effect whatsoever, especially with your PC specs. I've done lots of benchmarking with various VR games and Sims and the "Mirror" on the desktop doesn't take any noticeable performance hit whatsoever and that's on a variety of PCs over the years.

It is after all merely a "copy" of what feed is sent to your headset, it's not rendering the view again so to speak.

However of course bugs/issues can happen and I wouldn't put it past Asobo to make a mess of this (!), so I'll investigate next time I fly and see if there's a noticeable difference 🙂

You can just turn the preview off in WMR anyway, so it's a non-issue.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

6 hours ago, Nixoq said:

You can just turn the preview off in WMR anyway, so it's a non-issue.

I don't see any option to turn the preview off.  Can you elaborate?

6 hours ago, MarcG said:

Well it makes a big difference for me.

5 hours ago, nojwod said:

Well it makes a big difference for me.

How "big" exactly?

I did a test last night and there's zero difference between having a small window or full screen 🙂

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

3 hours ago, MarcG said:

How "big" exactly?

I did a test last night and there's zero difference between having a small window or full screen 🙂

Exactly as I said in the original post it depends on your setup.

3 minutes ago, nojwod said:

Exactly as I said in the original post it depends on your setup.

Soooo how big is the difference? 🙂 5fps? 10? 20?

I'm asking around to see if others get the same performance increase as you 🙂

I have no idea on fps I never look at the counter I just note if it's smooth or it's jerky.

• Like 1

I'll add to this list of tips. If you're using a Reverb G2 with Windows 11 and you are getting all kinds of micro-stuttering, it could be the HolographicShell process causing you trouble. You can use Windows' System Tools to stop this process from running ( "Computer Management -> System Tools -> Performance -> Data Collector Sets -> Event Trace Sessions"). Stopping that process made all of the micro-stutters I was dealing with go away.

It's a known issue and apparently there's a fix for it in the latest Windows 11 Beta if you are on that Insiders track. 

More detail about it here: 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 1:39 AM, nojwod said:

I don't see any option to turn the preview off.  Can you elaborate?

At the bottom of the preview screen there is a pause button.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

7 hours ago, Nixoq said:

At the bottom of the preview screen there is a pause button.

Can you post a screenshot I don't have anything resembling a pause button either in WMR or the MSFS preview window

On 11/20/2022 at 6:19 AM, nojwod said:

Can you post a screenshot I don't have anything resembling a pause button either in WMR or the MSFS preview window

Screenshot from the internet, it's in the same position for me:

spacer.png

That's a Steam VR WMR window, I only have the MS one.  Plus, it's not the window that is showing the VR view, which is the MSFS window that sits on the desktop along with the WMR window, and which is the one that needs to be kept as small as possible.

VR.jpg

• Like 2

"Visual quality of your home" option in low and 720p, it uses and address less VRAM of your GPU if you don´t have 24GB. VRAM a known stutter machine if overloaded.