Sign in to follow this  
james42

A310 sounds since latest update

I'm currently mid way through my first flight in the A310 since the latest update. I've noticed that inibuilds have made some changes to the overall sounds for the A310. I'm finding the new engine sounds to be quite disappointing. The CF6's seem to have lost their characteristic high pitched whine during spool up. Also, when turning on the packs they seem to be much louder than before, almost too loud. Finally, the very satisfying clicky buttons on the MCDU don't have the same "click" anymore. Anyone else notice the changes? What do you think of the new sounds?

• Like 1

Yes, they did make some changes and  think overall they are good, I agree though, something is missing on takeoff.  I have not been up front of an A-310 on takeoff but you should have some of that CF6 "growl" and buzzsaw on takeoff and initial climb.  Also, I wish the aircraft developers would focus more on the runway takeoff/landing roll sounds.  It is pretty loud barreling down the runway on takeoff with the bumps/rattles but this seems to get neglected.  FBW did a nice job on them with the A32NX but cannot think of any other aircraft that features it properly. For the buttons, I think they reduced the sound as I think they were a bit loud compared to the rest of the environment.  I like the pack noises as they are very loud in some aircraft, I think you can turn that down with the "Cockpit Sound' slider in the MSFS menu if you want it lower.

Edited by Flic1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

4 hours ago, Flic1 said:

Yes, they did make some changes and  think overall they are good, I agree though, something is missing on takeoff.  I have not been up front of an A-310 on takeoff but you should have some of that CF6 "growl" and buzzsaw on takeoff and initial climb.  

I have the TSS soundset for the GE CF6 for the old CLS DC-10.   The buzzsaw growl is wonderful.  I assume these A310 CF6's are pretty much the same engine?   

Anyway, that TSS soundset is great.  But I'm not getting same vibe out of the iniBuilds A310 engine sound, at least not yet.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Anyone recommend sound setting levels? The inibuilds 310 is the only aircraft I have issues with such as extremely loud pack sounds, its almost unbearable at the same volume I have with all the other aircraft I fly.

1 hour ago, shamrockflyer said:

Anyone recommend sound setting levels? The inibuilds 310 is the only aircraft I have issues with such as extremely loud pack sounds, its almost unbearable at the same volume I have with all the other aircraft I fly.

I'm using about 33% on the engines.

But I did have it even lower for a while.  I've never flown in the flightdeck of an A310 but it seems to me even without noise canc headphones on the engines wouldn't be all that loud in the cockpit.

• Like 1

Rhett

I just started a topic over in the iniBuilds discord regarding the latest sound update for the A310 with a few people adding their opinions. For me, the A310 is the perfect candidate for a high quality aftermarket sound set. Hopefully, the devs can revisit the sounds again and make some changes.

IMHO they are pretty spot-on. Yes, TSS used to pronounce the engine sounds a bit more especially in their old packs but that resulted into permanently audible engines during cruise flight, which isnt realistic at all. I agree there should be a bit more "power feeling" when spooling up on the runway, but overall dont forget that you are sitting in the cockpit. Engines are quieter there than somewhere in a window seat in row 10.

That's right, they should generally not be super loud in the cockpit especially if you're doing the MSFS "Headphone simulation" option.  But for outside....I WANT MY WHOLE HOUSE TO SHAKE!!...These are CF6's!  Let's hear the sawblade growl!

Rhett

6 hours ago, Soulflight said:

IMHO they are pretty spot-on. Yes, TSS used to pronounce the engine sounds a bit more especially in their old packs but that resulted into permanently audible engines during cruise flight, which isnt realistic at all. I agree there should be a bit more "power feeling" when spooling up on the runway, but overall dont forget that you are sitting in the cockpit. Engines are quieter there than somewhere in a window seat in row 10.

I agree that the engine note should be quieter in the cockpit compared to a seat right next to the engine. I think how much of the actual engine audio you hear from the cockpit right now is ok. What's lacking for me is the distinctive whine you get from the CF6 during spool up. It was there before and represented quite well before the latest update and now its almost inaudible. Overall, I just feel like the current sound set lacks overall body and just feels like something that's just there as a necessity. Like in a real level D sim.