Sign in to follow this  
ashleyjames

P3d to MSFS 2020

2 hours ago, The Moose said:

It is imperative to have a good speed and solid connection internet for this sim.

Huge initial download.  Regular large updates.  Constant streaming of data when flying.  

If you keep losing connection or cant stream the data fast enough you end up with a sim that looks worse than FS9.  All the scenery, weather and live traffic is completely dependant on a constant data stream.   Without good internet this sim is absolutely pointless.                     

If you have bandwidth problems then you are much, much better off turning off online functionality. Makes it look massively better.

Does look really bad in online mode when you can't get the data through though.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

10 hours ago, ashleyjames said:

I dont have internet at home however I connect my pc and everything that needs internet through my phone. Will this be troublesome with day to day usage of the sim?

As others have said this sim demands a decent internet service. The files you will download are many Gbs. I doubt any mobile phone contract will be suitable unless it’s 5G which I suspect it’s not where you live.

Is this a personal choice or do you live in a remote area with no FFTC or ideally FFTP?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

As others have said this sim demands a decent internet service. The files you will download are many Gbs. I doubt any mobile phone contract will be suitable unless it’s 5G which I suspect it’s not where you live.

Is this a personal choice or do you live in a remote area with no FFTC or ideally FFTP?

I am on a 4G service and it works OK. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I am on a 4G service and it works OK. 

You live in France and you don’t mention the cost. The OP hasn’t disclosed his location but I can see where he lives. A 4G service may not be available to him and even if it was the cost may be prohibitive given the amount of data he needs to download.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You live in France and you don’t mention the cost. The OP hasn’t disclosed his location but I can see where he lives. A 4G service may not be available to him and even if it was the cost may be prohibitive given the amount of data he needs to download.

It is capped at 200 Gb/month and costs me a little less than 40 EUR/month. I use it for all my Internet browsing not only the sim. The cap was a littlte short for the first install thats all. I download large updates during the night.

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

6 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

It is capped at 200 Gb/month and costs me a little less than 40 EUR/month. I use it for all my Internet browsing not only the sim. The cap was a littlte short for the first install thats all. I download large updates during the night.

When @ashleyjames replies the situation should become clearer.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Certainly

But I am always glad to see that this sim runs quite well on an old computer like mine with a high res. and with a 4G connection. Asobo did a great optimization job. I have not seen this in any sim before. 

My very last  flight was between two AFB in Greece, LGTT/LGEL, overlying an autogen-packed Athens with a dozen or more traffic aircraft. Everything was smooth. 

• Like 2

Dominique

11 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi all,

I do have a quite fast 5g connection through my phone and high data cap here in Sydney so I guess it won't be an issue. Initial download and subsequent updates will be done at another location so it's really just the day to day usage I was asking about.

Also on another note, I experience a great deal of frustration when replying on avsim through my phone with words being deleted without me doing so and the formatting going crazy.. It's just does not play nice. Does anyone else experience this?

On 12/16/2022 at 3:57 AM, Gazzareth said:

If you have bandwidth problems then you are much, much better off turning off online functionality. Makes it look massively better.

Does look really bad in online mode when you can't get the data through though.

The boldface statement above is directly opposite my experience, which is that MSFS in offline mode is, for me anyway, unusable as it looks like scenery from 20 years ago -- in a word, awful. It is rare that I have problems with my internet connection, but when I do, I just find something else to do until it recovers. MSFS has set a new standard with its satellite-streamed scenery and there is no going back.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 12/16/2022 at 6:13 PM, ashleyjames said:

Initial download and subsequent updates will be done at another location so it's really just the day to day usage I was asking about.

You'll be fine. The day to day download isn't that much. I just checked my settings, and I have used 2.12 GB of data in ~18 hours of flying this month. I don't use the Rolling Cache at all, but most of these flights were in the same general area (west coast USA) so it's possible that there may be some other type of cache.

But in general, you aren't looking at downloading dozens of GBs of data every time you fly. 

On 12/18/2022 at 9:34 PM, cobalt said:

The boldface statement above is directly opposite my experience, which is that MSFS in offline mode is, for me anyway, unusable as it looks like scenery from 20 years ago -- in a word, awful. It is rare that I have problems with my internet connection, but when I do, I just find something else to do until it recovers. MSFS has set a new standard with its satellite-streamed scenery and there is no going back.

That's odd - if I am in ONLINE mode and there is a bad connection (this last happened some months ago to be fair) I get a VERY blurred world as it is trying to load in textures are detail that it is never going to get. When I switched ONLINE mode off (all functions off) it improved - textures were still very poor, but from the (blurry) detail clearly generated from Satellite imagery, albeit of a much lower resolution than you get online.. .. ..

.. .. .. not something that I want or have to use with any regularity, but looks much better than FS2000 (or FS2002) that's for sure. By the time FSX hit I was buying world texture packs etc so hard to comment about comparisons with the default after that.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

22 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

That's odd - if I am in ONLINE mode and there is a bad connection (this last happened some months ago to be fair) I get a VERY blurred world as it is trying to load in textures are detail that it is never going to get. When I switched ONLINE mode off (all functions off) it improved - textures were still very poor, but from the (blurry) detail clearly generated from Satellite imagery, albeit of a much lower resolution than you get online.. .. ..

.. .. .. not something that I want or have to use with any regularity, but looks much better than FS2000 (or FS2002) that's for sure. By the time FSX hit I was buying world texture packs etc so hard to comment about comparisons with the default after that.

G

OK, we are evidently seeing the same things when the internet connection is poor. It's just that I am now accustomed to the RW scenery in MSFS, and I find the offline textures to be so retro and boring that I have no interest in flying under those conditions. Since this happens very rarely (once or twice a month?) and lasts for only a short time, I just wait until the connection returns to normal.